Sponsored

Anything scarier than running out of warranty... which extended warranty to get (if any)?

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is there anything scarier than a Ford running out of warranty? I'm reaching that point and I really don't know what to do. Keep the Bronco and get extended warranty or just sell it?

What would you do and if you get an extended warranty which one would you go for?

Edit: If you're a homer please exclude yourself. Thanks!
Forums scare people; period. However, truth is that the Bronco is largely reliable.

I got an extended warranty at purchase, but not sure Iā€™ll really get my value out of it. Iā€™ve owned BMW and Land Rover products; including right now and those are vehicles that you get an extended warranty on! :wink: End of the day, itā€™s a Ford, man. A Ford thatā€™s relatively easy to fix and not too expensive.

Do also keep in mind that you can haggle on the cost of a warranty, I did and got them to throw in 4 years of full-synthetic oil changes along with the extended warranty I got.

I donā€™t worry much about my Bronco, itā€™s just over a year old and just under 12K miles and itā€™s off-roaded regularly with not a concern thus far.

In the end, if the cost of the warranty gives you peace of mind; do it. Iā€™ve purchased them before, but only on 1 BMW out of 7 was the warranty used due to a serious failure (Engine lost compression in wifeā€™s old X3 at year 6 and 45K miles. Engine was replaced, then I sold it.). The RR Sport is still doing just fine and she now has 18K on the clock and itā€™s almost 3 yrs old.

No one can advise you on your own risk tolerance, but I also donā€™t think you should be judged on it either. Just donā€™t baby it. End of the day, your fun has a value of its own.
Sponsored

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ā€˜69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Most recent.
Two V-10 Excursions with over 200k.
A V-8 AWD Explorer with over 300k.
Maybe because I know which ones to avoid. Thatā€™s why I bought the 2.3 Bronco without the advanced 4wd system. 2.7ā€™s have had some issues, and flat towing one with the advanced T-case is like playing Russian roulette with the automatic transmission. I would have bought a std trans if the wife had let me lol.
And I havenā€™t ever owned a front drive based vehicle.
Ford Tempo? I knew better lol.

Dan-O

Outer Banks
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
As an old guy Iā€™ve purchased many an extended warranty when buying new vehicles. Never once did I use any of them. My last 4 vehicles I decided to opt out of extended warranty and realized I will either:
1-Trade it in before itā€™s needed
2-Foot the bill on any needed repair as Iā€™ve saved $5000 by opting out of extended warranty initially
3-Realized that the odds of needing a repair that will actually be covered(fine print) by extended warranty are slim anyway

patientB

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is there anything scarier than a Ford running out of warranty?

Yes, an Audi or BMW running out of warranty.

Fords are relatively simple and the parts and dealership costs are comparatively low.

Extended warranties make money for the warranty companies - like most "insurance policies", they'll reassuring when you need them, but trust the actuaries have done research to assure them that the majority of customers will collectively spend more on the warranties than the amounts they ultimately pay out.

Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is there anything scarier than a Ford running out of warranty? I'm reaching that point and I really don't know what to do. Keep the Bronco and get extended warranty or just sell it?

What would you do and if you get an extended warranty which one would you go for?

I almost never give an extended warranty even a thought. I did consider the extended warranty on the Bronco because Ganger was offering $50 over cost. But I've never purchased an extended warranty for a vehicle. My daughter is driving the '04 F150 we bought new and I think the extended warranty still wouldn't have paid for itself.

One thing I learned after owning foreign cars is the parts for the Fords I've owned sure are a lot cheaper! I'm not sure how long you plan to own your Bronco, but extended warranties are generally priced at double the anticipated cost of warranty claims. Vehicles last longer these days. Our Escape only had basically oil and filter changes for the first 100k miles. About the time when you might expect to have to fix something (125k or so) is when almost all of the extended warranties are done.

Last edited:

Kevin Scarbel

Everglades
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Everglades 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Everglades

Relax, it's not a BMW.

Shazamalingo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

No. The extended warranty expired 70,000 miles ago, doing me no good. I put a new turbo and exhaust manifolds on that same truck, both at ~145K miles.

The extended warranty in this case did me absolutely no good.
I got an extended warranty on a couple other cars. In both cases, I got about 70-80% of the premium back for repairs. So, it was essentially a few hundred bucks for peace of mind. But financially, I would have been better off without it. Though I donā€™t really regret it.
I did get an extended warranty for the Bronco just in case. That was pretty cheap actually at about $150 a year for 8 years. So, again - peace of mind. I mostly got it for the bronco since it was a new model.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I am legit somewhat worried about it since I am nearing 3 years and a massive 19,000 miles. But only because Fordā€™s current quality sucks so I am mildly concerned about it nickel and diming me to death in a year or so. But I guess we will see.

Sitruc_btb

Badlands
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Im not scared. I R a mechanic.
Ford Bronco Anything scarier than running out of warranty... which extended warranty to get (if any)? deac49v-d204e2e3-b9c4-420d-b41c-96871f924a90

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yes, an Audi or BMW running out of warranty.

Fords are relatively simple and the parts and dealership costs are comparatively low.

Extended warranties make money for the warranty companies - like most "insurance policies", they'll reassuring when you need them, but trust the actuaries have done research to assure them that the majority of customers will collectively spend more on the warranties than the amounts they ultimately pay out.
Insurance (and extended warranties) are legalized gambling, except for the fact that your odds are worse than Vegas.

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Drive your Bronco tomorrow as normal. Count how many fords you pass that are over 5 years old. All of them are running just fine.

Every mechanical/electrical device will have failures at some point. Most likely your Bronco will have 6 digits on the odometer before a major component fails.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm not a Homer, but I have read a couple bits he wrote... talk about epic!

Click bait title and you have the gall to make some obscure demand about a person's name?

Ford Tempo was the best decision I ever made! Wait, I mean that dating a girl with a Tempo was the best decision. Every time it broke down and I gave hera ride and fixed it... <--three dots! Three dots in an ellipsis! You know how scared I was when I saw the thread title had 4???!?!?!???

Nearly gave me a Homer.

OP
OP
buzpro

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The correct answer is: Don't be poor.

I have 96k miles on my 2021 Bronco, I do have the extended warranty, but really I would not have purchased it had it not been for the 2.7 valve train issue and the rapidity of putting on the miles that I had. Now, if I were to get rid of it at 100k miles, I would be able to sell it with a 4 year/50k mile warranty (which is longer than factory).

When the warranty is up, I still won't be worried about it, I already worked out the bugs by 150k miles.
96,000 miles ALREADY??!!!

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Our Bronco is the first vehicle we have owned that actually had a warranty.

Never owned a vehicle as new as it either.

We did have a couple issues that were resolved under warranty and the ongoing window rattle has been ongoing long enough it has survive beyond the warranty because Ford has yet to figure out a fix for it.

For meat and tater major powertrain/electronic stuff it has been very solid so far though (knocking on wood)
Sponsored