Sponsored

Does it make sense to get extended warranty for 125K @ 8 years?

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Outside extending a drivetrain warranty, I would focus on electronics for sure, its ridiculously expensive these days.
Sponsored

The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've never had a vehicle repair outside of the original factory warranty that was more than a few hundred bucks to fix (a few sensors here and there, head unit in a Honda that they replaced for near-free even though it was FAR outside warranty since there was a TSB, etc.)

So I've already saved thousands and thousands of dollars by never buying a vehicle extended warranty, and I'm going to keep riding that winning streak. Selling insurance is obviously profitable, so I'll just self-insure and pocket that profit myself!

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've never had a vehicle repair outside of the original factory warranty that was more than a few hundred bucks to fix (a few sensors here and there, head unit in a Honda that they replaced for near-free even though it was FAR outside warranty since there was a TSB, etc.)

So I've already saved thousands and thousands of dollars by never buying a vehicle extended warranty, and I'm going to keep riding that winning streak. Selling insurance is obviously profitable, so I'll just self-insure and pocket that profit myself!
How much noise does your 7MT make? Mine is enough that it makes me think the extended warranty will get a workout someday.

I don’t disagree that insurance is a for profit enterprise, but vehicle extended warranties have proven to be more profitable for me than their companies over the years.

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got a free extended warranty for my turbo issues off the dealer lot from Ford.

Hot tip, make sure the warranty is not the dealer warranty. Most of those are over priced third party warranty not Ford.

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

if this had been a long established vehicle with extensive history of longevity then I'd say no. For example, my 2016 Tundra I had zero issue with and believe it would've gone 200+k on the odometer. But since this is a first gen production run, and we've already seen issues popping up early in life there's no telling what's gonna come in year 4, 5 or even 7. What happens when it hits 37k 75k 100k etc....the insurance of the extended warranty was worth it IMO because of the unknowns.

Sponsored

CUPRA

Outer Banks
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBXSAS/'23 Camaro SS Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We added a 8yr/100K Ford PremiumCare warranty to ours. First time Ford owner, and at 3700 miles we already have been flat bedded back to the dealership with a failed fuel pump.

Sure that was sorted under the factory warranty, but we wanted protection for years to come.

Our Jeep Grand Cherokee, we also have an extended warranty on, and at 4 years, the main infotainment screen delaminated. That was a $1400 expense to replace, covered under the extended warranty, so that was worth the cost right there, to us. Since then, had the fuel pump replaced, and a couple of other items, so we're even, if not slightly ahead.

Changa

Outer Banks
First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We added a 8yr/100K Ford PremiumCare warranty to ours. First time Ford owner, and at 3700 miles we already have been flat bedded back to the dealership with a failed fuel pump.

Sure that was sorted under the factory warranty, but we wanted protection for years to come.

Our Jeep Grand Cherokee, we also have an extended warranty on, and at 4 years, the main infotainment screen delaminated. That was a $1400 expense to replace, covered under the extended warranty, so that was worth the cost right there, to us. Since then, had the fuel pump replaced, and a couple of other items, so we're even, if not slightly ahead.
I too just got the 9-year/100k Ford Premium Care for 2k. I told them I did not want theirs because I was going with Flood Ford ESP and they price-matched it. Now, I am starting to wonder if that was a great idea to use theirs because I am planning on doing a lift/new tires/wheels/other mods and am unsure if they will void my warranty through them or not...

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I forgot that they pushed it out from 8 to 9 or 10 years now. I’d consider pushing mine out to 10 years, after year 1 I’ve only got 2600 miles.

Broncojbl

Wildtrak
First Name
JBL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JCW Clubman, Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well, I am at 52k miles with 0 warranty issues to date.

I have 6 year/150k
Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it… It’s the umbrella theory - it won’t rain since you have the policy - lol. I’m a believer. I had an unofficial lemon and an ESP saved me thousands. I’m just trying to decide between Zurich Comprehensive or Ford Premium.

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350 GT500’s FGT MACH I Z8
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
One of my bigger concerns on things like infotainment and navigation is whether replacement parts will be available in 8-10 years.

"Sorry. That system is no longer supported, You will have to......."

I have run into that a lot lately at my business. When they no longer support something, the push is on to have a complete replacement, not service or repair.

Sponsored

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One of my bigger concerns on things like infotainment and navigation is whether replacement parts will be available in 8-10 years.

"Sorry. That system is no longer supported, You will have to......."

I have run into that a lot lately at my business. When they no longer support something, the push is on to have a complete replacement, not service or repair.
True of major appliances. I just had to junk a 15-year-old Thermador double oven--the electronics died. I was told manufacturorers are not required to make replacement parts available after ten years.
Word to the wise: when buying appliances (washers & driers, especially, but also stoves) buy models with analog dials whenever possible.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I did 5/125, from Granger. It's my daily driver, plus trips out west.

My most recent vehicle 2011 Mitsu Lancer, manual. Has over 260k, and running strong. I plan on taking care of my Bronco to hopefully get the same life.

OP
OP
BroncoOB

BroncoOB

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Sequoia, Tesla
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I may not hold on to it that long but it will help with resell value. I used Ford Protect and it has its pros/cons.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I did 5/125 Premium w/Roadside, from Granger. This was a must on a new version 1 vehicle like this.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don't know if I'll get an ESP or not but I was curious how they priced the plans based on mileage so here are Flood's prices graphed in dollars per mile for each warranty length. It looks like 100k miles is the sweet spot for 7-10 year plans, no matter the deductible. I don't drive a lot but I do plan to keep this one forever so 10yr/100k looks like a good value to me. I'd Get It At Granger, of course :sneaky:
Ford Bronco Does it make sense to get extended warranty for 125K @ 8 years? Flood Ford ESP price curves
Sponsored