First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Wrangler JK, White Bronco Base 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
As New Your is showing us... you can get pulled over for the wrong colored hair.

The real reason you probably got pulled over was... (1) The cop was bored. (2) He liked your Bronco.
Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I don't understand your post -- you say its not a rant about law enforcement and to go away if that's your thing, but then complain about being pulled over for flashing lights. What kind of responses did you expect to get? That said -- I HATE HATE HATE auto hi-beam, I disabled that feature on day one. Anyone with contantly flashing hi-beams should be pulled over auto or not, its annoying and dangerous for everyone else on the road. The guy behind you is going to think you are flashing him which in some areas is like flashing the bird. Its also not that common, I don't see many cars flashing hi-beams. I think most people disable it. It should be illegal for sure.
My auto high beam don't behave like that at all! Now I don't do allot of night driving but when mornings and nights are dark if I can see the taillights in front of me the Bronco won't switch to high beams, now if they round a curve then it'll switch over and then back immediately once the taillights are visible. I think it's a pretty good system, never had it bounce back and forth on the highway or interstate where anyone would think I'm flashing them much less be intoxicated!

Your Bronco, if you don't like it then no problem on my end at all, just seems like odd behavior compared to mine.

MaxtheMonster

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The auto hi-beams is one of 3 things I turn off (parking brake, ASS (auto start/stop), and auto hi-beams) as soon as I start my Bronco, I HATE them!!!!
I hate the Auto Start-Stop. I got one of these, deletes. You no longer have to turn it off when you start it. A bit of a pain to install because you have to remove some of the console to get at the plug. Took about 20 minutes but so worth it.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/autosto...KrlhY1RassYZH8tqb0Ky97fTiqNuNPz8aArVOEALw_wcB

OP
OP
PrepVet

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
In my experience "reasonable suspicion" at 2am is a lot more flimsy than during the day so I'm not surprised at all. I think they're naturally suspicious of every single person that is out driving at that hour.

Auto high beams are common enough now that he's had to have seen thousands of them on patrol and I'm sure there's plenty others as finicky as the Bronco's.
Without a doubt, I still find it silly for that to be a reason.

My auto high beams seem to do fairly well and coming on when and where it is appropriate. I end up using more high beam because of it.
They seem too sensitive, like in this case I was driving down a two lane rural/suburban road with a bike lane on either side and one street lamp in view and they came on and off three times in what would be about a block. The only thing I could guess is that it thought the 2 or 3 side of the road reflectors were headlights?

They also do not come on at all when I drive down the street I live on. There are no street lights and no side of the road markers and it is dark. I have to manually turn them on. Just odd.

All this Nanny State crap needs to be shoved where the sun don't shine.
What? It's not a stupid federal nor state law. Just a tech feature.

Around here both the county and city cops drive Explorers, I would think they have auto lights as well, not new tech anymore. Sounds like it's one of those things where they have nothing better to do at 2am and you just happen along. 🙄
It was a new explorer he pulled me over in, however I doubt the interceptors would have it. 🤷‍♂️

Very weird the officer hasn't experienced the auto high beams.

Don't Ford have auto high beams on the new police Explorers too? Maybe the small town hasn't bought new Explorers yet, but many jurisdictions used pandemic money to buy the newer models.
I am not saying he hadn't had prior experience, just that it is a silly reason for reasonable suspicion.

Great feature. They turn on and off slowly. Very predictable as to when they turn on and off.
Do they?

I could have sworn they snap on and off like a normal switch? At least that is what it looks like on the interstate with how I quickly I see the brighter reflection on overhead and side of the road roadsigns.
As a former sheriff's office employee I can tell you that in our small town and mostly rural areas everyone gets pulled over after 2am, especially if you're within a couple miles of the bar or the strip joint. If a deputy observes a vehicle with high beams going on an off a lot then that would also cause them to at least stop you and check. We don't have many businesses that stay open until 2am so there are very few good reasons for people to be out at that hour and a high likelihood of bad activity.

As for the explorers that law enforcement uses, those are interceptor models that generally have most of the nanny stuff disabled.
1. that's a terrible and unconstitutional "policy."
2. this is Wisconsin, you are not going more than a few hundred meters without being near a bar.

The first night I drove my bronco I was like wtf is up with these lights going on and off themselves. Never knew auto high beams was a thing, spent a minute and figured out how to turn that shit off. If you cant operate high beams yourself you shouldnt be driving.

I'm sick of cars with auto lights as well, its why you see idiot after idiot in rain and fog driving around with no lights on. These people are a danger to themselves and drivers around them because they are to stupid and lazy to turn on or off lights themselves when the time is appropriate.
The first time it happened in my Bronco it surprised but then I realized what it was and it's fine. Except the thresholds make no sense to me. They will click on for half a second and then off and there is no way the sensor was seeing less than I was a lot. And it often just won't come on when it would make perfect sense to.

The Signature Lights on my Badlands fade on and off extremely well. They are definitely not abrupt.
I have the signature LED's on my 21 as well, and I it sure doesn't look like they fade on slowly.
Biggest ticket of my life was from behind a NY state trooper. Nothing was getting me out of that stop.

Revenue generation machine at work, that’s why I don’t go crazy for these law enforcement Broncos. How many people got fleeced at the margins for that department to get their badlands?
Ya know that's funny, and I will go on a tangent here real quick. I was on my two week R&R back in 2004 with a couple buddies and we went on a multi state baseball tour and in Massachusetts I was driving my Terminator. A car came up real fast into my rear view at like 1 to 3 in the morning. It was right on my bumper, I moved over to the other lane but they just kept pasted there. I said f'it and just dumped and moved. The car faded and faded and then came up a little bit. Eventually I did slow down as I had no idea what the roads were like and the car came up and passed up and flashed the cherries and berries when he was next to us and just took off and got off at the next exit. It was MA Statie. I thought for sure I was screwed but I guess he was bored. I had no markings on my car he could have seen.

I don't understand your post -- you say its not a rant about law enforcement and to go away if that's your thing, but then complain about being pulled over for flashing lights. What kind of responses did you expect to get? That said -- I HATE HATE HATE auto hi-beam, I disabled that feature on day one. Anyone with contantly flashing hi-beams should be pulled over auto or not, its annoying and dangerous for everyone else on the road. The guy behind you is going to think you are flashing him which in some areas is like flashing the bird. Its also not that common, I don't see many cars flashing hi-beams. I think most people disable it. It should be illegal for sure.
Dunno what to tell you, go re-read the post. It's pretty evident what was said in the post and no one else seemed confused.

Sponsored

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
FWIW Ex Canadian here. Once got pulled over for this exact thing and was told pretty high correlation to Impaired Drivers and High Beam erraticness.

Figured that made sense, we both went about our evening after.
That and frequent lane changes will always get a cop's attention. Especially at 2am. I learned that 50 years ago when in the Navy. At US Navy invitation, CHP officers would board ships in Hawaii that were returning from Vietnam. They'd ride us back to California. They'd give safe driving lectures. They always told us that frequently changing lanes would invite unwelcome attention. It's just one indication of a potentially impaired driver.

About auto dimmers or auto anything else. Keep in mind, automatic "things" screw up automatically. That includes lane keeping, dimmers, GPS, auto route, the list goes on.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Do all models have this feature? I’ve got a base and never noticed this. Then again, I work nights so my Bronco is normally parked at work during the dark hours.. most if not all of my driving is daytime.
You can turn them off in the settings. I thought my Base didn't have them either, but apparently I turned them off (and a bunch of other automajical BS like hill start assist) before I ever left the dealership lot.

I can count on the fingers of one foot the amount of times I want my car doing something on its own.

ABorges

Base
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 F100
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Do all models have this feature? I’ve got a base and never noticed this. Then again, I work nights so my Bronco is normally parked at work during the dark hours.. most if not all of my driving is daytime.
Yes, the Base model has this feature.

Loesch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Auto high beams got me followed by a cop for about 10 miles one time in my F150 when they blinded him as he drove past me while I was at a stop sign. I turned that feature off that day and have never trusted them since. It's a stupid feature. Like someone else said, driving requires total concentration. When you make driving a mindless experience, well that's how you get drivers like you see today. It'll only get worse.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I turn them off as well- wonder if the feature can be deleted using Forscan?
On a separate but related note, I had 23 F-150 as a loaner while the Bronco was getting a new hardtop. Those auto high beams seemed to work a lot better and, they “fade” on and off from high to low - doesn’t look like you’re flashing high beams at people
The auto-high beams on my Bronco definitely rise up to high beam and fall back to low beam. It does it so well that I didn't realize the Bronco was activating high beams at first. Then I paid attention and saw that gradual increase in brightness rather than the instant flash.

I guess there's always someone to hate anything, but I think Ford nailed the sensitivity and the ease-in, ease-out. A true Ronco "Set it and forget it!" piece of tech.

Sponsored

FleshTuxedo

Outer Banks
First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 OBX 2dr.
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Someone mentioned earlier about people not having their lights on in the rain (during the day).
Am I crazy or does the Bronco automatically turn the lights on when you have the wipers on for like 30 seconds?
My old Dodge did that.

Last edited:

brkdncr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I guess my controversial opinion is that I think auto high beams are great. They turn off at the correct distance all the time, and I barely notice since they dim fast and return at the appropriate speed.

I now get really pissed when others new vehicles blind me. If they had with high beams on it wouldn’t be a problem.

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I guess my controversial opinion is that I think auto high beams are great. They turn off at the correct distance all the time, and I barely notice since they dim fast and return at the appropriate speed.

I now get really pissed when others new vehicles blind me. If they had with high beams on it wouldn’t be a problem.
I like mine a lot. When I lifted it and the windshield cam was out of calibration it disabled them and it just reinforced how much I liked them.

jtmportland

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The auto-high beams on my Bronco definitely rise up to high beam and fall back to low beam. It does it so well that I didn't realize the Bronco was activating high beams at first. Then I paid attention and saw that gradual increase in brightness rather than the instant flash.

I guess there's always someone to hate anything, but I think Ford nailed the sensitivity and the ease-in, ease-out. A true Ronco "Set it and forget it!" piece of tech.
It’s my understanding that the fade from dim to bright is a setting that in earlier Broncos (pre 2023?) is set to off. In those models, the brights are either on or off (no fading transition). Forscan does allow you to change this behavior, however.

FleshTuxedo

Outer Banks
First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 OBX 2dr.
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It’s my understanding that the fade from dim to bright is a setting that in earlier Broncos (pre 2023?) is set to off. In those models, the brights are either on or off (no fading transition). Forscan does allow you to change this behavior, however.
My 2022 has fade up from low to high, then no fade from high to low beam (signature lighting)
Sponsored