Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's the Bilsteins they're garbage.
I had the same thing happen on my Hellcat with the same type of reservoir Bilsteins.
After only a few thousand miles all four shocks on my Bronco showed signs of leaking.
They aren't worth replacing.
Just use this as an opportunity to get some quality shocks.

nabronco21

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco/2008 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had both my rear shocks replaced at separate times because they wouldn't replace them both when I lost the first reservoir. No questions asked under warranty. Hopefully you'll be good.

Rick U

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is the 6100 a direct replacement? Would the 2 door shocks be different than the 4 door?

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Is the 6100 a direct replacement? Would the 2 door shocks be different than the 4 door?
There is a difference between 2/4 door shocks as specified by Ford.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...ide-lift-heights-with-wheel-tire-sizes.17719/

But from a practical standpoint, you probably wouldn't notice much difference. As some of the 2 and 4 door share shocks in certain configurations.

Another great example is the Eibach Pro Truck 2.0 suspension is used on both 2 door and 4 door Broncos (same part number for both 2 and 4 door). There is a set for sale here on the forum for $900 for all 4 (a great deal).

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/2021-ford-bronco-eibach-stage-2-coilovers-900-obo-used.92519/

The Bilstein 6100s are only available for the 4 door, but I know that they have been installed on 2 door Broncos. The 6100s are considered an upgrade.

Sponsored

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anyone know off hand what the recommended replacement interval is on these? Most regular shocks they say 50k right? I've always thought that figure was a bit aggressive as I've driven cars with double that mileage that were still OK.

With the reservoir completely missing I'm fully expecting them to dodge responsibility and say you knocked it off by an impact. Keep us updated.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The Bilstein 6100s are only available for the 4 door, but I know that they have been installed on 2 door Broncos. The 6100s are considered an upgrade.
The 6100s are adjustable based on a clip setting. I think Bilstein only recommends the lowest clip setting for the 2-dr. The Ford Performance Bilstein shocks are non-adjustable 6100s. But they are tuned specifically for either a 2-dr or 4-dr application.

Anyone know off hand what the recommended replacement interval is on these? Most regular shocks they say 50k right? I've always thought that figure was a bit aggressive as I've driven cars with double that mileage that were still OK.

With the reservoir completely missing I'm fully expecting them to dodge responsibility and say you knocked it off by an impact. Keep us updated.
50k is typical. I would say it is conservative for an OEM shock on an off-road vehicle. If someone is driving it as a commuter on pavement, then they can expect a longer lifespan. But driving off-road will accelerate the end of the lifecycle.

Seeing as how some Broncos are ridden, those should be looking to upgrade sooner.

lauk101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had the same issue and almost rolled the vehicle after hitting a pothole. I reached out to Bilstein the let them know and they didn't seem to care at all since they just made it to the ford specs. I ultimately ended up switching to the eibach's and I've been happy ever since

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Bronco - Jeep JKU - Wrangler LJ (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
A few hose clamps on each reservoir should be cheap insurance holding them on!
I just realized that's what happened, the remote reservoir literally is missing :curse:

1715207124285-r8.png
I know some people think this is funny or are unwilling to take this simple step. I think it is a good solution that doesn't require any further maintenance and will likely allow the shock to reach it's "normal" life expectancy. And then I can replace it with whatever tickles my fancy at the time...

Ford Bronco '21 Badlands rear shock failure Reservior Clam

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know some people think this is funny or are unwilling to take this simple step. I think it is a good solution that doesn't require any further maintenance and will likely allow the shock to reach it's "normal" life expectancy. And then I can replace it with whatever tickles my fancy at the time...

Wouldn't some decent zip ties also work? I'll be under this weekend and will take a look at mine.

Sponsored

KillerPenz

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

That won't stop any leaks. I never lost the reservoir. But the connection between that and the shock is where the rust occurred. Enough so that all the fluid leaked out. In my opinion, these shocks are complete garbage.

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Bronco - Jeep JKU - Wrangler LJ (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Wouldn't some decent zip ties also work? I'll be under this weekend and will take a look at mine.
Possibly, I felt like the stainless steel hose clamp was the best option to handle the conditions there. Plus they will have more “force” than you can apply with tie wraps.
That won't stop any leaks. I never lost the reservoir. But the connection between that and the shock is where the rust occurred. Enough so that all the fluid leaked out. In my opinion, these shocks are complete garbage.
You can’t say that with certainty. I’ve seen 2 of the reservoirs leaking that didn’t come completely off but both were not fully seated as they came from the factory. It’s just as likely that that is how the rust got in to yours…. You don’t have to do it.

And yes, I think the factory Bilsteins are just OEM garbage. But for $8 I believe I will not have the problem that many others have had. Hopefully that will get me to the point I decide what I want to do for shocks…. Not a huge fan of what’s out there so far.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Guess what I found when I was riding my motorcycle home from work:

Ford Bronco '21 Badlands rear shock failure 1715285062492-ir

Ford Bronco '21 Badlands rear shock failure 1715285062492-ir
Crusty Rusty. At least you found the piece of the puzzle. Not sure that will help your case. If I was bringing the Bronco in, I'd also be bringing a box of donuts for the service advisor in the hopes you catch them on a good day.

OP
OP
zombie

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Crusty Rusty. At least you found the piece of the puzzle. Not sure that will help your case. If I was bringing the Bronco in, I'd also be bringing a box of donuts for the service advisor in the hopes you catch them on a good day.
It's clearly not due to abuse, I can't imagine what grounds they would try to deny it. The only damage to the reservoir is from it falling off my Bronco.
Sponsored