Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I may be wrong, but I thought it was considered a wear item like tires and wasn't covered. Seem to remember several people posting they lost their reservoir and they were Out of Luck Chuck.

They may get covered anyway, I guess. I dunno. Worth asking so you don't wait only to find out later.
I would say if the reservoir falls off, I would call that a defect, unless the vehicle is extremely rusty or something.

But if the reservoir is still attached, but the shock is leaking, that is a tricky one...
Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would say if the reservoir falls off, I would call that a defect, unless the vehicle is extremely rusty or something.

But if the reservoir is still attached, but the shock is leaking, that is a tricky one...
I was going off what other people on 6g said, but I guess we all know the variability of service at dealers and we probably only heard from the disgruntled. I do recall a few people, including a woman, complaining about it not being covered, specifically the reservoir falling off. I dunno, I'd probably use it an excuse to go 6100's or something.

OP
OP
zombie

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it's not covered, I'll pursue going with 6100's but I really hope this isn't the case. I would be trading both of my Fords in on another make if that's the case.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it's not covered, I'll pursue going with 6100's but I really hope this isn't the case. I would be trading both of my Fords in on another make if that's the case.
Flip gave some good advice and info; it definitely seems possible they'll be covered. Hopefully so.

Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I just realized that's what happened, the remote reservoir literally is missing :curse:

Ford Bronco '21 Badlands rear shock failure 1715207124285-r8
As expected. They are junk. Ford doesn't warranty rust. Live where the roads are treated with brine solution and owners should expect these to continue to fail.

OP
OP
zombie

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As expected. They are junk. Ford doesn't warranty rust. Live where the roads are treated with brine solution and owners should expect these to continue to fail.
If that's the case, then they had better stop selling vehicles "where the roads are treated with brine solution".

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh right, I do remember that was an issue on at least a couple of the missing reservoirs. Dang it.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If that's the case, then they had better stop selling vehicles "where the roads are treated with brine solution".
Or you can KISS and stick with a honking thick mono-tube shock without any of the gimmicky reservoirs.

You posted the warranty info earlier. Read it again. Ford doesn't warranty against rust.

2023bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, most seem to be rusting off. I think I read about one or more falling off without rust though.

I've been spraying my reservoirs with boeshield or fluid film, which is hilarious. Spraying oil on the outside to keep the oil inside.

Between the shocks falling off and the roofs cracking and delaminating, it's a wonder there aren't more problems in-between.

PS
Your coil spring sticker held up better than the shock. Maybe they ought to make the shock housings out of the same material!

Sponsored
OP
OP
zombie

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Or you can KISS and stick with a honking thick mono-tube shock without any of the gimmicky reservoirs.

You posted the warranty info earlier. Read it again. Ford doesn't warranty against rust.
Pretty sure I wasn't involved with the design and development of the Bronco.

Also, read a bit closer:

"The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover surface rust, deterioration and damage of paint, trim, upholstery, and other appearance items that result from use and/or exposure to the elements. "

Paint. Nope
Trim. Nope
Upholstery. Nope
Other appearance items. Nope

Sitruc_btb

Badlands
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's unfortunate. Ive read about other shock failures. Is this more common in cold weather states? Are my reservoirs going to delete themselves here in the desert sometime?

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Pretty sure I wasn't involved with the design and development of the Bronco.
Ford Bronco '21 Badlands rear shock failure 1715210399450-0z

Now, I hope the dealer is generous in their assessment and covers it under warranty. But my advice is to take the opportunity and upgrade the rear shocks at a minimum. Get a 2.5" thick mono-tube shock like the 6100s. You won't have reservoirs falling off.

OP
OP
zombie

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco '21 Badlands rear shock failure 1715210399450-0z

Now, I hope the dealer is generous in their assessment and covers it under warranty. But my advice is to take the opportunity and upgrade the rear shocks at a minimum. Get a 2.5" thick mono-tube shock like the 6100s. You won't have reservoirs falling off.
If they deny warranty, that will be my plan... Also, not my first ford, but my first ford that actually had a problem (believe it or not)

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
These are the highest quality shocks ever made by Bilstein... LOL.

I am sure they are made to the strictest of standards, similar to what you would expect in a government contract awarded by the military.

I really don't have a problem with mine, but I have seen more than one of them fall apart here online.
Sponsored