First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GMC HD 3500 AT4, 2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD
Your Bronco Model
Base
ps. I nearly gave my self a concussion when I raised my head too quickly and hit the tow hitch, stung like a bitch
The older I get the more I do this, head, knuckles, knees sucks....
Sponsored

jsoa

Heritage
First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Out of curiosity If im going to use the FP gasket, what kinda of sealant would you suggest @CarbonSteel ? The instructions doesn't seem to suggest any sealant is needed.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Out of curiosity If im going to use the FP gasket, what kinda of sealant would you suggest @CarbonSteel ? The instructions doesn't seem to suggest any sealant is needed.
Many schools of thought on this including both "no sealant required" and "sealant required". Having worked in the heavy petrochemical industry early in my career, I fall into the latter having installed thousands of composite gaskets.

I would install a 1/16" - 1/8" bead on the inside of the bolt holes with this:

https://www.permatex.com/products/g...ltra-black-rtv-silicone-gasket-maker-3-35-oz/

With that said, I will probably pull my cover more than most and would simply use the (reusable) OEM rubber gasket.

jsoa

Heritage
First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Many schools of thought on this including both "no sealant required" and "sealant required". Having worked in the heavy petrochemical industry early in my career, I fall into the latter having installed thousands of composite gaskets.

I would install a 1/16" - 1/8" bead on the inside of the bolt holes with this:

https://www.permatex.com/products/g...ltra-black-rtv-silicone-gasket-maker-3-35-oz/

With that said, I will probably pull my cover more than most and would simply use the (reusable) OEM rubber gasket.
appreciate the info, I was also asking myself how many times would I remove this cover, and the little recessed pool has made me wonder if it's better to always remove the cover when changing fluids to also get that pool drained. I hesitate with the bolts you suggested only because my lack of experience with this

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
appreciate the info, I was also asking myself how many times would I remove this cover, and the little recessed pool has made me wonder if it's better to always remove the cover when changing fluids to also get that pool drained. I hesitate with the bolts you suggested only because my lack of experience with this
I typically pull it to wipe out the area that you are describing as there is always quite a bit of metal collected there.

The composite gasket and bolts supplied with the cover are fine together. I just want 2x the bolt diameter in thread engagement and the supplied bolts are not long enough for that with the OEM gasket.

If there were replacement composite gaskets on the market, I would likely not think twice about using it, but (as far as I have been able to determine), there are none. There are plenty for the previous 10 bolt Dana 44 axles, but not for the new 12 bolt Advantek axles.

Sponsored

Lotus Dave

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Elise
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I ordered the FP cover on 4/26/24. I "thought" my office would be the easiest place to have it delivered to as we get FedEx & UPS regularly. It was delivered to the wrong address and was returned back to Michigan not once, not twice, but three times! After the first attempt, I contacted Ford and they confirmed the order was placed with the correct address and to follow up with FedEx directly. FedEx had no explanation... Ford then suggested I wait it out and they would refund my Ford Points and credit card within 30 days so I could re-order the same part... On the fourth attempt to the same wrong address, a very thoughtful lady working there was able to contact me, via a random internet search to inform me she has it in her hands and she's right down the street from my office... I picked it up yesterday afternoon 38 days after ordering!?! I bought her flowers for her effort.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I mistakenly once thought it'd be easier to get a replacement cell phone delivered to my job at a university. Ha! At the time, they just kept getting lost. Eventually Sprint sent me to a store to get a new one.

Years later, I did find out what happened. Someone showed up at our office with a box about the size of a bankers box. Inside were all the things the college students had thrown in there, that was supposed to go to our address but went to theirs instead. All three of the missing phones was in there (plus a bunch of other stuff), including the one actual replacement (the last they had in stock). Literally sent three phones to 714 Texas St, NOT 714 North Texas Blvd. The college students were moving so they wanted us to get our stuff, it was only five years too late for me.

I had an iPhone by then, but that milspec flip top Sanyo was a great phone until I ran it over with my Jeep. The street was renamed a few years earlier and apparently the database simply found the nearest match.

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Very informative thread! I am hoping for some clarification, as there seemed to be a lot of opinions. I have the FP rear diff cover, and would like to re-use the OE gasket to avoid using gasket goop on the FP fiber one. Has anyone been able to re-use the OEM bolts or the new FP bolts with this combination? Want to make sure I have everything readily available once I go and pull it off.

After reading through the thread, I've started wondering if I should get a cheaper oil to run through to clean it for a few miles & "rinse" the gears before I put in my more pricey Amsoil. Thoughts? My Bronco has 25k and this will be the first diff oil change. I have no issue spending a few bucks on oil if this is a smart decision, especially since the oil change will be much easier with this cover.

Can't wait to see this baby under there!
Ford Bronco Change Driveline Fluids Early! IMG_1247

BoldNorth

Wildtrak
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 HPR Wildtrak, '95 Mustang GT Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Very informative thread! I am hoping for some clarification, as there seemed to be a lot of opinions. I have the FP rear diff cover, and would like to re-use the OE gasket to avoid using gasket goop on the FP fiber one. Has anyone been able to re-use the OEM bolts or the new FP bolts with this combination? Want to make sure I have everything readily available once I go and pull it off.

Ford Bronco Change Driveline Fluids Early! IMG_1247

CarbonSteel gives his advice on the gasket and bolts earlier in this thread, and there was just a discussion on this topic in this other thread, where he linked his suggested replacement bolts. Other owners have had success using the original bolts, so it just comes down to whose advice you want to follow...
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...tial-cover-installed-impressions.94273/page-8

The paint job your diff cover looks great!

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

CarbonSteel gives his advice on the gasket and bolts earlier in this thread, and there was just a discussion on this topic in this other thread, where he linked his suggested replacement bolts. Other owners have had success using the original bolts, so it just comes down to whose advice you want to follow...
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...tial-cover-installed-impressions.94273/page-8

The paint job your diff cover looks great!
Thank you! That thread/page does show many used the OE gasket & FP bolts successfully. Thank you! This thread had so much information my mind was spinning a bit. I must have missed that info in that thread. Will also consider the 25mm bolts as well.. Just wanted to know if I *NEEDED* to order more pieces.

Thanks a friend/forum member did a wonderful job. It's factory matched Velocity Blue :)

Edit: this was helpful. Not much of an expense for the knowledge the bite will be good enough for the threads. Just went ahead and ordered.

Here you go:

Flange Bolts - (You need 10) They have a 10MM head but that is not an issue.

75MM Studs (You need 2)

Thick Washers (You need 4)

Tall Nuts (you need 4)

Flange Nuts (you need 2)

Last edited:

Sponsored

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Would not the giant interior pocket on the FP cover, where the logo and drain is located, cause a lot of turbulence which then could lead to aeration of the fluid? Just seems to be a bad design IMHO.

Ford Bronco Change Driveline Fluids Early! FP Cover Bronco M-4033-BR_V6.JPG

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Would not the giant interior pocket on the FP cover, where the logo and drain is located, cause a lot of turbulence which then could lead to aeration of the fluid? Just seems to be a bad design IMHO.

FP Cover Bronco M-4033-BR_V6.JPG
You have to remember that you have two gears turning at 90° under high shearing forces. The oil can do nothing but aerate and generate foam. Most high-performance gear oils have anti-foaming agents added to reduce this situation.

Take a look at the axle linked below and note how aerated the oil is as well as the viscous coupling that is formed with the oil and this is with a "normal" contoured cover. There is a pattern that is more or less universally created in all axles and thus the pocket in the FP cover will not contribute to increasing that aeration in any shape or form.

Rear Axle Operating With Clear Cover

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You have to remember that you have two gears turning at 90° under high shearing forces. The oil can do nothing but aerate and generate foam. Most high-performance gear oils have anti-foaming agents added to reduce this situation.

Take a look at the axle linked below and note how aerated the oil is as well as the viscous coupling that is formed with the oil and this is with a "normal" contoured cover. There is a pattern that is more or less universally created in all axles and thus the pocket in the FP cover will not contribute to increasing that aeration in any shape or form.

Rear Axle Operating With Clear Cover
Definitely will increase drag on the fluid with the sharp corners and pocket. That's been tested and proven by Banks.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Definitely will increase drag on the fluid with the sharp corners and pocket. That's been tested and proven by Banks.
LOL...Banks created his own testing methods and his own data with NO third party validation. Banks did nothing but create a massive sales pitch for his new axle cover. I would love to see the drag numbers which are created that are measurable and verifiable AND actually mean something.

Using those methodologies, I can prove anything...
Sponsored

Last edited: