CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I did the full stack--front axle, transfer case, and rear axle. I have 2500 miles on my Wildtrak and learned from my Rubicon to do this early. Unlike my Rubicon there was no machining swarf on the axle magnets, so perhaps Dana has started doing a better job or Ford is holding them to a higher quality standard versus Jeep.

There was the usual metal "paste" on all magnets, though for only 2500 miles, it was fairly thick. All fluids were heavily filled with metal (as seen in the attached videos). The rear axle was comparable to the Jeep for metal content and you can see it in the draining oil on the face of the axle flange. Advantek axles historically produce more metal than similar counterparts and nothing seems to have changed from their introduction until now.

Also, all three were low--none of them were level with the bottom of the fill plug as stated in the service manual--another great reason to change it early!

I will start a build thread soon and will add a sheet with the UOAs that I will do over time. Here are some photos. Enjoy!

Transfer Case Plug (it is magnetic):

Ford Bronco Change Driveline Fluids Early! 20231103_135210

Rear Axle Plug (also magnetic)--Front Axle is also magnetic:

Ford Bronco Change Driveline Fluids Early! 20231103_155847

After Cleaning:

Ford Bronco Change Driveline Fluids Early! 20231103_140004

Rear Axle Internals (note metal in clinging/draining oil):

Ford Bronco Change Driveline Fluids Early! 20231103_154827

Ford Bronco Change Driveline Fluids Early! 20231103_154838

Video of transfer case fluid sloshing in pan:

Video of rear axle fluid sloshing in pan:

Sponsored

Last edited:

illverado

Base
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
700whp stick shift 2000 silverado 2011 caprice ppv
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Wow, thanks for the reminder! I somehow just passed 20k miles in 10 months and this stuff has been on my mind since I bought it and still havenā€™t done any, Iā€™m scared now haha. My manual trans fluid was shockingly brown and metallic similar to your transfer case after only 700 miles. Geez

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Iā€™ve done the transmission and rear axle around 25k. Transfer and front in the coming month or so.

I know we spoke in other threads, but what did you ended up filling with?

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Iā€™ve done the transmission and rear axle around 25k. Transfer and front in the coming month or so.

I know we spoke in other threads, but what did you ended up filling with?
How hard was the transmission? Since it is both pressurized and has a filter, I'll probably wait a while on it.

I went with Motorcraft Mercon LV in the transfer case. I picked up 6 QTs pretty cheap and will change it a few more times before letting it go for a while.

Amsoil Severe Gear in the axles. I have quite a bit left over from other trucks I've had.

LightningLou

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Focus ST, 1999 Ford Lightning, 2000 Audi S4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you use 80w90 in the front diff and 75w85 in the rear like it specifies in the service manual? I just replaced the front fluid due to the notorious leaking pinion seal, but thought it was odd the front fluid spec was different than the rear. Also states the capacity for the m210 is 26.2oz which was nowhere near draining out the fill port...

Sponsored
OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Did you use 80w90 in the front diff and 75w85 in the rear like it specifies in the service manual? I just replaced the front fluid due to the notorious leaking pinion seal, but thought it was odd the front fluid spec was different than the rear. Also states the capacity for the m210 is 26.2oz which was nowhere near draining out the fill port...
Nope. 75W-110 in the front for the reason you stated...less than 1QT capacity.

75W-140 in the rear based upon my experience with Dana 44 Advantek axles and Dana's recommendation vs. Ford's.

LightningLou

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Focus ST, 1999 Ford Lightning, 2000 Audi S4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nope. 75W-110 in the front for the reason you stated...less than 1QT capacity.

75W-140 in the rear based upon my experience with Dana 44 Advantek axles and Dana's recommendation vs. Ford's.
Interesting they spec the heavier weight. Wonder now if Jeep has the same spec as Ford or Dana in their Advantek axles. I don't think the fluid weight is the reason for the pinion seals failing, but may be worth looking into...

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
How hard was the transmission? Since it is both pressurized and has a filter, I'll probably wait a while on it.
I have the manual transmission on the Bronco. Drain and fill was easy.

But, Iā€™m about to put the PPE aluminum pan & new filter on our Ranger (30k). Lots of reported issues with that 10R80 transmission. Many reports of it under filled too.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have the manual transmission on the Bronco. Drain and fill was easy.

But, Iā€™m about to put the PPE aluminum pan & new filter on our Ranger (30k). Lots of reported issues with that 10R80 transmission. Many reports of it under filled too.
Does that PPE pan use a Ford filter or their proprietary version (I have not seen the internals of a 10R80 so I am assuming it is pan mounted)? I bought one for my Wrangler and sold it because it was only a PPE filter that fit it.

Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Does that PPE pan use a Ford filter or their proprietary version (I have not seen the internals of a 10R80 so I am assuming it is pan mounted)? I bought one for my Wrangler and sold it because it was only a PPE filter that fit it.
Uses the OEM ford filter. They have a shallow (holds about 1 extra quart) or deep which holds something like 2.5 extra quarts.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

10R60/10R80 the filter is bolted to the valve body. Pan wonā€™t affect the filter at all so a factory filter can be used

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Well...I'll be grabbing one in the future to replace mine when I change the fluid/filter. The drain plug makes it easy to do a dump and fill.

Now they need to make one for the 2.7L and get rid of the idiotic plastic pan there.

Last edited:

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please sir may I have locking diffs?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm about to break 12k and one year of ownership so its time for me to cover this.

I have a Badlands with a 7MT, what do I use? It sounds like 75W-110 front and 75W-140 rear, but I want something warranty friendly

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm about to break 12k and one year of ownership so its time for me to cover this.

I have a Badlands with a 7MT, what do I use? It sounds like 75W-110 front and 75W-140 rear, but I want something warranty friendly
It would be the Motorcraft stuff and while I get the warranty part, Ford would have to prove the oil caused a failure which...it won't.
Sponsored