First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just changed the transfer case and realize I pumped just over 1.5 QT and it didn’t seep out of the fill hole. With part time it’s supposed to be 1.3 QT and 10 mm below (asinine way to measure).

Think I put in too much? Problematic?
Sponsored

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Just changed the transfer case and realize I pumped just over 1.5 QT and it didn’t seep out of the fill hole. With part time it’s supposed to be 1.3 QT and 10 mm below (asinine way to measure).

Think I put in too much? Problematic?
LOL - I filled mine until it ran out of the fill hole (did the same with my Wrangler). Never had an issue. I would rather it be slightly (just slightly mind you) overfilled versus underfilled (as my Bronco was).

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ok, thanks for the quick response. It’s not coming out, but if I stick a clean (gloved) pinky in there, I’m touching fluid. I think I’m good. About 10 oz over what’s recommended. Seemed like a lot.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Re-reading the service manual it just says it “must be filled within 10 mm”. So, your logic makes sense. I guess they design it so it can’t really be “overfilled” to the point of damage.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Re-reading the service manual it just says it “must be filled within 10 mm”. So, your logic makes sense. I guess they design it so it can’t really be “overfilled” to the point of damage.
All 3 of mine were low from my perspective, which makes me question the transmission levels (I think it has a dipstick on the side).

Sponsored

e34john

Base
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
e10, e30, e34
Your Bronco Model
Base
Brought DCTF for my 7 speed over the weekend now I think I should just do all the driveline fluids now.

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
I did the full stack--front axle, transfer case, and rear axle. I have 2500 miles on my Wildtrak and learned from my Rubicon to do this early. Unlike my Rubicon there was no machining swarf on the axle magnets, so perhaps Dana has started doing a better job or Ford is holding them to a higher quality standard versus Jeep.

There was the usual metal "paste" on all magnets, though for only 2500 miles, it was fairly thick. All fluids were heavily filled with metal (as seen in the attached videos). The rear axle was comparable to the Jeep for metal content and you can see it in the draining oil on the face of the axle flange. Advantek axles historically produce more metal than similar counterparts and nothing seems to have changed from their introduction until now.

Also, all three were low--none of them were level with the bottom of the fill plug as stated in the service manual--another great reason to change it early!

I will start a build thread soon and will add a sheet with the UOAs that I will do over time. Here are some photos. Enjoy!

Transfer Case Plug (it is magnetic):

20231103_135210.jpg

Rear Axle Plug (also magnetic)--Front Axle is also magnetic:

20231103_155847.jpg

After Cleaning:

20231103_140004.jpg

Rear Axle Internals (note metal in clinging/draining oil):

20231103_154827.jpg

20231103_154838.jpg

Video of transfer case fluid sloshing in pan:

Video of rear axle fluid sloshing in pan:

What did you used to re-seal the diffs? In my Wrangler days, I used a lubelocker gasket but I also installed a cover with a drain so I never had to open the diff again...

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What did you used to re-seal the diffs? In my Wrangler days, I used a lubelocker gasket but I also installed a cover with a drain so I never had to open the diff again...
The front only has fill and drain plugs. I used some teflon sealant on the threads.

The rear has a reusable gasket and can be reused many times. My Wrangler had the same axle in it and I re-used the gasket 10 times with no leaks.

BRBlue

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What is the correct fluid spec for the front diff? Per this Recommended Fluids Post it shows both “Motorcraft® SAE 80W-90 Premium Rear Axle Lubricant” and “Motorcraft® SAE 75W-85 Premium Synthetic Hypoid Gear Lubricant” without mentioning which fluid goes where. I also downloaded the service manual and the front diff spec sheet (for a 2022 Bronco) states “Motorcraft® SAE 80W-90 Premium Rear Axle Lubricant WSP”.

I gave the lady at the part counter at my Ford Dealer my VIN and the computer shows “Motorcraft® SAE 75W-85 Premium Synthetic Hypoid Gear Lubricant” for both front and rear. She gave me a stern warning to not trust anything I’ve seen online and I’m inclined to trust what’s in the system/workshop manual.

I have a 2021 Badlands with Sasquatch.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLO
OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What is the correct fluid spec for the front diff? Per this Recommended Fluids Post it shows both “Motorcraft® SAE 80W-90 Premium Rear Axle Lubricant” and “Motorcraft® SAE 75W-85 Premium Synthetic Hypoid Gear Lubricant” without mentioning which fluid goes where. I also downloaded the service manual and the front diff spec sheet (for a 2022 Bronco) states “Motorcraft® SAE 80W-90 Premium Rear Axle Lubricant WSP”.

I gave the lady at the part counter at my Ford Dealer my VIN and the computer shows “Motorcraft® SAE 75W-85 Premium Synthetic Hypoid Gear Lubricant” for both front and rear. She gave me a stern warning to not trust anything I’ve seen online and I’m inclined to trust what’s in the system/workshop manual.

Front = 80W-90 (even though it says "rear")
Rear = 75W-85

Personally, I would not run either of those (and don't).

Sponsored

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I always do the same thing.

I'm still under 2k miles so might wait a little longer.

I'm expecting the transfer case to be pristine. My Ranger's was.

Rear diff will probably look like hot garbage.

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Front diff: 75W90 GL-5
Rear diff: 75W85 GL-5
T-case: D6 AFT 1.3 qt
Axle Fluid
Front axle fluid capacity:
W/ electronic locking differential: 26.2 fluid ounces
W/o electronic locking differential and w/o front axle disconnect: 29.2 fluid ounces
W/o electronic locking differential and w/ front axle disconnect: 30.4 fluid ounces
Rear axle fluid capacity:
W/ electronic locking differential: 63.6 fluid ounces
W/o electronic locking differential: 65.3 fluid ounces

You can run 75W90 in the rear alllll day. No issues whatsoever. A lot of Jeepers run 140 weight.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I always do the same thing.

I'm still under 2k miles so might wait a little longer.

I'm expecting the transfer case to be pristine. My Ranger's was.

Rear diff will probably look like hot garbage.
My transfer case fluid had LOTS of metal in it at 2500 miles

Yeah, the rear was awful.

BRBlue

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I confirmed with two separate dealerships using my VIN that both front and rear diffs for my 21 Bronco are sepc’d with the same “Motorcraft® SAE 75W-85 Premium Synthetic Hypoid Gear Lubricant”.

Not sure why my copy of the service manual/spec sheet for the 2022 Bronco differs. Maybe they have made a change since publishing OR the spec for the 22 is different than the 21.

I also realize it’s probably not that big of a difference and heavy weight is spec’d by Dana for the rear but I’m going to play it safe and go by Ford’s recommendation for now.

@flip any idea why there would be a discrepancy?

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I confirmed with two separate dealerships using my VIN that both front and rear diffs for my 21 Bronco are sepc’d with the same “Motorcraft® SAE 75W-85 Premium Synthetic Hypoid Gear Lubricant”.

Not sure why my copy of the service manual/spec sheet for the 2022 Bronco differs. Maybe they have made a change since publishing OR the spec for the 22 is different than the 21.

I also realize it’s probably not that big of a difference and heavy weight is spec’d by Dana for the rear but I’m going to play it safe and go by Ford’s recommendation for now.
Just for clarity - Dana Spicer specifies 75W-140 in the Dana 44 Advantek axles. Many OEMs (including Ford) reduce that for CAFE (read this MPG) credits which does not equate to axle longevity. Given the heat and the metal these axles generate, I am more than comfortable deviating from Ford's recommendation--you may not be and that is OK too.
Sponsored