Sponsored

Why don’t people like the OEM tires/wheels?

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think all of the wheel/tire selections on all of the trims make perfect sense EXCEPT the Goodyear Territory MTs—the Sasquatch tire.

The Goodyear Territory MTs are an All-Terrain tire (marketed by Ford as a Mud-Terrain) that do not have a 3-Peak rating. So they’re a bad All-Terrain and a bad Mud-Terrain tire. I don’t know why I would want that, and it was a big reason why I passed up the Sasquatch pkg.

They are extremely light though… which is probably why Ford picked them, but that’s their only redeeming quality.
I have no issues with the stock Territories, much preferred to KO2's, especially in ice and snow!
I live in the great white north and have had two awesome adventurers through the American Southwest. Climbed rocks, played in sand, broke trails though snow storms, and plowed through muddy trails... They are reasonably comfortable, quiet and appear to wear well.
I'm going to have a hard time replacing these tires without having to give up something in return.
Sponsored

Twister22

Badlands
First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Raptor 1965 Mustang 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm guessing you don't live on a gravel road!! The stock Sas package tires pick up rocks like a magnet to steel!! I lifted mine and changed the tires and wheels!

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like my OEM rims and have zero plans to change them. I'm sure there are lighter wheels out there but I honestly don't care.

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I particularly love the Sasquatch wheels (the ones with the brushed silver ring, not all black). I'm a sucker for gloss black and brushed aluminum/silver, so I would have searched for something very similar aftermarket anyway.

Owl

Base
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Wrangler JK, White Bronco Base 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm curious about those folks that have lost a large amount of MPG going to larger tires...

Did you do the math computations for the change, or have Forscan to put in the new tire sizes? Below is the non-Forscan formula.

Formula: NewSize/OldSize * Dash-Stated-MPG = Real-MPG

Example going from 32 to 35" tires with a dash-stated 21 MPG.

35/32 * 21 = 22.96875 (Real-MPG)

Of course -- if you made Forscan change the real-MPG is the stated-MPG.

Sponsored

adamruiz2001

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford SVT Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Some of these after market wheels are more hideous than the OEM wheels.
Rock slinging tires had to go though!
What tires did you end up going with, they look nice in your avatar pic.

Anvilair1973

Base
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2 door and 1994 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Personally I love that folks all have different tastes! My Base comes back from the autobody shop soon (been without her for 4 months - see my post on the "accident") and I have a brand new set of 5 Outerbanks wheels and 33" tires waiting to go on her for seriously short money! I have not decided what overall look I am going for so this is a nice upgrade without having to dig to deep into the pckets in the meantime.
I guess my point is, once I decide what look I really want I will probably then pass these OBX wheels and tires with low mileage on down the line to someone else that may be in a similar situation.
Trickle down economics benefiting everyone as I see it :cool:

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I didn‘t want my bronco lifted as it’s an everyday driver and I needed max gas mileage… so I actually like the look of the tires it came with. That being said I see tons of posts of people wanting to sell the oem and not being able to get much for them because none of you want them.

Questions - why don’t people like them?

When I need new tires I should probably look to buy some from all of you that want to ditch them rather than pay $1,200 at a tire store, correct?

Thank you for input.
I'm gonna add a twist to the answers, because as you can see in my photo, I've got non-OEM wheels and tires on it. But that's for two reasons:

1. I was going for a retro/Heritage look
  2. I wanted cheaper tires for street use
However, I still have the OEM Badlands wheels with KO2s on them and I swap them out whenever I go off-roading. I'm actually hoping to pick up a spare set of Badlands wheels so if/when I scuff mine up, I could have a pristine set for resale or hand-me-down to a kid.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Stock wheels just look very bleh to me. The stock tires are pretty decent across the whole trim range though, if the size is acceptable might as well use them up.

You're doing great, I've lost about 10 mpg going to a significantly larger and heavier tire. 😂
Well, to be honest the tires I got are a whopping 1/2" wider and actually 1/3 of an inch shorter (lost 1/6 " ground clearance), but 10 pounds heavier, not even in your league.

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I love the oem wheels! I have several sets now which I have picked up from other members who have switched to aftermarket. The OE tires are junk tho...ditched those nearly day 1!

Ford Bronco Why don’t people like the OEM tires/wheels? 20230529_081417

Ford Bronco Why don’t people like the OEM tires/wheels? 20230529_081417
Damn, them portals are crazy! :love:

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Since I never see my wheels when I'm driving, and my stock tires have gotten me everywhere I needed to go, I'm happy with the 2022 BD stock wheels/tires!
True. But as you can see I don’t have full contact so larger ones are needed when OEMs wear out.

IMG_4782.jpeg

Herewegoagain

Badlands
First Name
Maxemus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I didn‘t want my bronco lifted as it’s an everyday driver and I needed max gas mileage… so I actually like the look of the tires it came with. That being said I see tons of posts of people wanting to sell the oem and not being able to get much for them because none of you want them.

Questions - why don’t people like them?

When I need new tires I should probably look to buy some from all of you that want to ditch them rather than pay $1,200 at a tire store, correct?

Thank you for input.
I got a Badlands with SAS. If I could do it all over again I would not get the SAS. Ford makes it sound like your getting all these glorious awesome upgrades but in reality it's all junk! Shocks are junk! Tires are junk! I would rather put all reputable quality after market rims tires and shocks!

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Didn't read the whole thread, but my theory is that wheels / tires make the biggest difference in making your vehicle "yours" with the easiest amount of work. And, if you are able to sell your stockers or if you couple with a needed tire change, it can be cost effective as well.

Also, there are probably 100 of wheels to choose from, and when you add possible tires there are probably 1000s of wheel/tire combos to choose from compared to just a few options from the factory.

I don't hate the stockers, but I'd really like a neat seat of aftermarket, maybe bronze. If I don't do anything by the time I'm ready for new tires, I will certainly order new wheels with the new tires.
Sponsored