First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah this is why it’s important to do a pan drain every 30K. It keeps the fluid in good condition. If you do this you should never need to do a complete exchange as long as the fluid stays “Red”. Keep in mind the OE fluid isn’t red like aftermarket fluids like Amsoil or RedLine. If your Bronco is in warranty it’s a good idea to use the OE fluid just in case you need warranty work. I have seen Nissan deny warranty because the CVT fluid was “RED”. It’s a touchy subject so why risk it. Use the OE fluid until it’s out of warranty. JM
Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

To your point about how much fluid is needed to have all "new" fluid, provided you dump about 6.1 QTs per change (which is what the Ford tech told me) it will take about 24 QTs to go below 10% old fluid:

Old Fluid vs New Fluid Percentages.png
Helps a lot if you have the time to let it sit and drain as long as possible also.
There are some at work that I'll pull the pan and the filter to do some type of repair, it'll sit over night and I'll need ~10 quarts or so to get it back to the correct level the next day.
I don't know the numbers for that amount, but I'd guess it would cut it down a decent amount.

OP
OP
toymaster

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Helps a lot if you have the time to let it sit and drain as long as possible also.
There are some at work that I'll pull the pan and the filter to do some type of repair, it'll sit over night and I'll need ~10 quarts or so to get it back to the correct level the next day.
I don't know the numbers for that amount, but I'd guess it would cut it down a decent amount.
Hmmm, never tried that method. I'll try when I swap pans weekend after next.

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yeah this is why it’s important to do a pan drain every 30K. It keeps the fluid in good condition. If you do this you should never need to do a complete exchange as long as the fluid stays “Red”. Keep in mind the OE fluid isn’t red like aftermarket fluids like Amsoil or RedLine. If your Bronco is in warranty it’s a good idea to use the OE fluid just in case you need warranty work. I have seen Nissan deny warranty because the CVT fluid was “RED”. It’s a touchy subject so why risk it. Use the OE fluid until it’s out of warranty. JM
There is little, if anything, to be gained (plenty to be lost such as your warranty) by using anything other than OEM or Ford approved fluid and as of this date there are only 3:

Ford Bronco Trans pan w/drain by Dorman 1714064990850-cd

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The Ford tech told me the pan holds about 5QTs and the filter itself as well as the amount that drops when it is pulled is about another 1QT (which is where I can up with the 6.1 QTs in the formula).
If you have a better number, let me know and I will edit the spreadsheet.

Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The Ford tech told me the pan holds about 5QTs and the filter itself as well as the amount that drops when it is pulled is about another 1QT (which is where I can up with the 6.1 QTs in the formula).
If you have a better number, let me know and I will edit the spreadsheet.
Yeah that sounds correct if the pan is dropped, filter replaced and the pan put back up right away. All I'm saying is the longer you let it sit with the pan and filter off, the more that the transmission will drain out. The exact amount depends on how long it sits for.

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yeah that sounds correct if the pan is dropped, filter replaced and the pan put back up right away. All I'm saying is the longer you let it sit with the pan and filter off, the more that the transmission will drain out. The exact amount depends on how long it sits for.
Gotcha. OK, I modified the sheet to have 3 tabs (6.1 QTs drained, 7.1 QTs drained, and 8.1 QTs drained).

This should provide a general idea of how many dump and fills are needed based upon the amount drained to get below 10% old fluid.

Last edited:
OP
OP
toymaster

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Got the $50 pan. Have to say I'm very pleased, no less quality than the original and the drain plug is very suitable, as the bronze/alloy is molded into the pan and the drain plug is metal with machine threads. I would say the only reason why the factory does not do this is cost savings.

The pan bottom is sloped so if the vehicle is parked level then the drain is in the lowest part of pan however the molded lip around the plug will cause fluid to not fully drain. I would guess ~1/4 quart of so would be left.

Ford Bronco Trans pan w/drain by Dorman 20240429_173407

Ford Bronco Trans pan w/drain by Dorman 20240429_173414

Ford Bronco Trans pan w/drain by Dorman 20240429_173357

Ford Bronco Trans pan w/drain by Dorman 20240429_173341
Sponsored