First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was looking for a pan with a drain, as I'm a believer in fluid refresh every 30K or so. There is a lot of high dollar cast aluminum pans out there, all ~$300-$400, found a OEM style pan with a drain for $50, link below. For those that may not know Dorman is an OEM supplier, they made the factory pan.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=15219049&cc=3451075&pt=8546&jsn=9820

I'm going this route as I see no reason for extra protection, fluid capacity, nor heat sink. With the factory location and skids the trans is tucked up in there and my bronco does not see any type of severe duty. For 50 bucks ain't much to loose.
Sponsored

OP
OP
toymaster

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP
OP
toymaster

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Never seen an OEM part from dorman. Ive been in automotive service and parts for 7yrs now. I do this daily.
That is because they have OEM packaging. Ford/Chevy/ect. do not make 100% of the parts they use, no where near.

Sponsored

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That is because they have OEM packaging. Ford/Chevy/ect. do not make 100% of the parts they use, no where near.
Yes Im 100% aware of that. Im just saying Ive never seen dorman anywhere other than the cheap section of your local parts store. Definitely an OEM manufacturer.

B22-2023

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 1977 Bronco, 2023 T4R TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I was looking for a pan with a drain, as I'm a believer in fluid refresh every 30K or so. There is a lot of high dollar cast aluminum pans out there, all ~$300-$400, found a OEM style pan with a drain for $50, link below. For those that may not know Dorman is an OEM supplier, they made the factory pan.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=15219049&cc=3451075&pt=8546&jsn=9820

I'm going this route as I see no reason for extra protection, fluid capacity, nor heat sink. With the factory location and skids the trans is tucked up in there and my bronco does not see any type of severe duty. For 50 bucks ain't much to loose.
This beats the OEM plastic! I installed PPE pan the day after delivery, but regardless my new issue is how cheap the aluminum fill cap is, have you seen that? I checked my dipstick recently just for the heck of it and the head is already chewed up. Largely because it’s so hard to get a box wrench on and turn.
Ford Bronco Trans pan w/drain by Dorman IMG_8005

I hope Dorman or someone come out with a decent replacement.

wjtinfwb

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GC, Excursion, Focus ST, Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Buy it from a place that will allow you to return it after you’ve inspected it closely. Dorman may make some OEM parts, but my experience with them is the quality varies wildly depending on the part and where it gets manufactured. How much is a new OEM pan from one of the Ford parts houses that discounts parts? If it’s under $100 bucks, maybe it is made by Dorman and stuffed in a Ford box. If it’s closer to the $300 aftermarket, I think you know the Dorman part is likely inferior. Perhaps keep an eye out for someone selling their OEM pan after upgrading, taking it to a machine shop and getting it drilled and tapped for a drain bolt?

TRACKTOY

Badlands
First Name
ANDRÉ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 LARIAT CREW C. 3.5L ÉCO 2022+ BRONCO BL.2023
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

hi
For me it's MISHIMOTO ALU PAN = MORE OIL+ PLUG+O RING GASKET+ RIB FOR MORE COOLING.
TRACKTOY
Ford Bronco Trans pan w/drain by Dorman 20240124_093638(1)

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The narrative in the rockauto link says steel, but the chart says plastic and it looks plastic...

Sponsored
OP
OP
toymaster

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The narrative in the rockauto link says steel, but the chart says plastic and it looks plastic...
100% sure it is identical to the OEM but w/drain plug. They use generic descriptions on rock auto. My order is being shipped now, when it shows up I'll post a pic and opinion on drain design.

Fmuguira

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Pls do post. Most interested in “if it’s metal” or still plastic w/ drain…

lastly if metal how flat/solid is mounting flange. ie: no leaks!!

As you stated if it’s metal and $60 range can’t beat that!!!
Thx

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Jimmiee

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The picture looks plastic. They make a drain plug kit which works fairly good on metal pans, but I don't know about using one on plastic pans.
As a side note, after replacing the filter with the new pan, drain your ATF every 30K. If the fluid looks good a pan drop is all that's necessary. The filter doesn't need to be changed every 30K. I would change the filter at 90K unless the transmission has been overheated. Remember running in low range in the sand for example can overheat the fluid. If the fluid looks bad it's a good idea to do a fluid exchange. The transmission holds 13 quarts BUT remember you only lose about half the original fluid during a fluid exchange so you may need 20 quarts or so to get the ATF back to normal.

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The picture looks plastic. They make a drain plug kit which works fairly good on metal pans, but I don't know about using one on plastic pans.
As a side note, after replacing the filter with the new pan, drain your ATF every 30K. If the fluid looks good a pan drop is all that's necessary. The filter doesn't need to be changed every 30K. I would change the filter at 90K unless the transmission has been overheated. Remember running in low range in the sand for example can overheat the fluid. If the fluid looks bad it's a good idea to do a fluid exchange. The transmission holds 13 quarts BUT remember you only lose about half the original fluid during a fluid exchange so you may need 20 quarts or so to get the ATF back to normal.
Without a drain plug a pan drop is needed for a fluid change or a filter change. I watched a tech change the fluid/filter on a 10R60 in a 2.7L and it is both a PITA and a very messy task. I would opine that you will smell burning fluid for a WHILE after the change as it splashes everywhere no matter how careful you are.

For me, it would make sense to go to an aluminum pan and change the filter at the same time. Then to your point, changing the fluid is a piece of cake from that point forward (aside from the burnt skin that you may acquire courtesy of the exhaust pipe near the dipstick).

To your point about how much fluid is needed to have all "new" fluid, provided you dump about 6.1 QTs per change (which is what the Ford tech told me) it will take about 24 QTs to go below 10% old fluid:

Ford Bronco Trans pan w/drain by Dorman Old Fluid vs New Fluid Percentages
Sponsored

Last edited: