Sponsored

Rock Crawling my Wildtrak -- how to “bump up” on a ledge?

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Right, but it’s not a matter of waiting for the turbos to spool. Frankly I would think if you’re revving it that high you’ll be in for quite the ride when you release the brake 😂

The problem is that the engine isn’t throttling up at all, or at least not enough to be noticeable. With my Jeeps and their woefully underpowered pentastar engines you could hold the brakes and give it some throttle. You’d feel the suspension change and even when not using the bump up option it could be useful to “push” the body a certain way when articulating.
Somewhere buried in the owners manual is an explanation of a safety feature they refer to as "brakes over throttle". I think it's suppose to cut throttle if you apply brakes to stop you in case of a stuck throttle, maybe this is the problem.
Sponsored

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Somewhere buried in the owners manual is an explanation of a safety feature they refer to as "brakes over throttle". I think it's suppose to cut throttle if you apply brakes to stop you in case of a stuck throttle, maybe this is the problem.
You’re awesome. Gonna have to look through the modules to see if this is something that can be disabled with Forscan. I’m still perplexed that my eff one fiddy allows it but the Bronco of the same year does not

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You’re awesome. Gonna have to look through the modules to see if this is something that can be disabled with Forscan. I’m still perplexed that my eff one fiddy allows it but the Bronco of the same year does not
It;s on pg 194 of the OM and it's called brakes over accelerator. It actually does not say it cuts throttle, but maybe their not telling us everything in the OM...

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yes this is a pretty common safety feature nowadays, especially after the Toyota floor mat fiasco.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

When I try to apply throttle and brakes at the same time on my work 2019 F350 it cuts the throttle back. It’s actually a bad habit I have from an underpowered turbo diesel truck I had years ago. This F350 is also way underpowered but it’s normally aspirated gas and 13,600#.

Sponsored

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It;s on pg 194 of the OM and it's called brakes over accelerator. It actually does not say it cuts throttle, but maybe their not telling us everything in the OM...
I couldn’t find anything in any of the modules specifically mentioning brakes over throttle. Looking at my rappy modules I did find an option that might disable the airbags in rock crawl mode though, so that might be something I’ll play with. My new OBDLink should show up today and I’ll see what the raptor parameters are from the factory and compare to the Bronco.

Also Goosetuned got back to me and part of his Raptor tune is disabling brake over throttle. That explains why my truck can do it but the Bronco cannot. COBB hasn’t unlocked the ECU on the Bronco yet so that isn’t an option from Goosetuned, so I’m going to see if pulling the ABS fuse does anything if enabling Rock Crawl mode yields no results.

Last edited:

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I couldn’t find anything in any of the modules specifically mentioning brakes over throttle. Looking at my rappy modules I did find an option that might disable the airbags in rock crawl mode though, so that might be something I’ll play with. My new OBDLink should show up today and I’ll see what the raptor parameters are from the factory and compare to the Bronco.

Also Goosetuned got back to me and part of his Raptor tune is disabling brake over throttle. That explains why my truck can do it but the Bronco cannot. COBB hasn’t unlocked the ECU on the Bronco yet so that isn’t an option from Goosetuned, so I’m going to see if pulling the ABS fuse does anything if enabling Rock Crawl mode yields no results.
Update-enabled rock crawl mode and had no difference. Left it in 4L, turned off the engine and pulled fuse 29. Had Christmas tree upon restarting and couldn’t use any driving modes. Diff locks still worker. Still no change in max rpm against the foot brake. Also couldn’t shift out of 4L! Turned everything off, put the fuse back in, and the Bronco was happy and allowed me to shift out of 4L.

While I was in there I changed the headlights to last known and set the TPMS for 30 as I run a less than 39.

I also double checked the ABS module and SDM code. I couldn’t find the same kind of easy to interpret spreadsheet for the Bronco and I’m looking at the F-150 spreadsheet. So while the ABS address is the same, the only difference between the Bronco and Raptor at address 760-04-01 is 0000 0102 01xx on Bronco and 0000 0101 01xx on rappy. Both of which show as the SDM being disabled for that drive mode. I don’t use the driving modes as I’m used to simply selecting what I want, but people say Rock Crawl does change throttle input and steering feel. If it disables the airbags on top of that, well heck-I think it might be time to use them.

Hopefully someone more experienced with the modules can confirm the airbag theory.

IMG_1189.jpeg

Last edited:

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Have you tried doing this with one pedal driving? That might work out.

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That’s it?!?! I pushed it for a moment in 4L and instead of the “loading bar”(?) showing it’s going to disable TC/ABS after holding it down for the appropriate amount of time, I got a notification that everything was already off. So I didn’t bother holding it down.
While playing around yesterday I did try holding down the button. It’s off off already in 4L.

Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks but was hoping to get a response without traveling to figure it out.

alright to better explain,,, it was about a 6’ stair step with about a 4’ initial ledge to climb. Once starting up the first ledge it was fine then as I transitioned to go up onto the last ledge my back tires have to come up at the same time. So I backed up just a bit to get the rig to bounce up onto the ledge. This rig will not allow this even if I hold the brake and try to spool the turbos to get that little torque to pop up on the ledge. In 4-low “ traction control turns off automatically “ tires air downed to 14psi, front and rear locker on , it’s a wildtrak so no rock crawl option which is basically just disengages the front sway bar. I hope this clears a few things up
Obviously without seeing pictures it difficult to ascertain the actual obstacle. Is this a well known trail that sees a lot of traffic? What kinds of vehicles did you see successful traverse this?

A 4 foot vertical in any vehicle will take some skill.

You didn't get any pictures?

OP
OP
NOBUKSGIVN

NOBUKSGIVN

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Obviously without seeing pictures it difficult to ascertain the actual obstacle. Is this a well known trail that sees a lot of traffic? What kinds of vehicles did you see successful traverse this?

A 4 foot vertical in any vehicle will take some skill.

You didn't get any pictures?
I believe the issue has presented itself as a throttle brake scenario. Regardless of the size one should be able to use the brake and throttle simultaneously without the engine being held back via computer programs.
There will be a tune sooner or later to allow this. I’m not talking about power braking …just wanted to be clear.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I heard somewhere that maybe the accelerator/ Braking issue is being held back by the computer because of the Toyota floor mat issue some time back....????.... Supposedly if you are holding the Brake the motor is not allowed over 1700 rpm?

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I heard somewhere that maybe the accelerator/ Braking issue is being held back by the computer because of the Toyota floor mat issue some time back....????.... Supposedly if you are holding the Brake the motor is not allowed over 1700 rpm?
That seems to be what it is. Can’t get over 1300 rpm and brakes always take priority over throttle. But! “Brake over throttle” can be disabled with a tune, though I doubt Ford will do that with theirs. I’ll just wait for Goosetuned to be ready. I want to try developing a “portal tune” with him anyway so we’ll be spending some time on the dyno.

If nothing else this has been a fun learning experience. Refer to my unofficial conclusions reply earlier in the thread 😂
Sponsored