Sponsored

Rock Crawling my Wildtrak -- how to “bump up” on a ledge?

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Doesn’t selecting rock crawl mode disable traction control, engage 4-low and lock the rear locker? I would hope it allows loading throttle with brakes applied also.
WildTraks don’t have rock crawl mode. I went to enable it with Forscan and my seven year old OBDMXLink has finally bit the bullet-won’t stay connected to either of my laptops. Got a new one coming though and plan to test some stuff out as it seems rock crawl does change throttle response and steering input, though I’m not sure if it will allow one to load for bumping up.

Putting it into 4L does turn off ABS and traction control though.
Sponsored

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Wheeling for over 50 years and do not understand the question…what about your bronco does not allow “bumping” (power/gas a little before or during obstacle)? …or is there some meaning of “bumping” I don’t know about?…

JerryG

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The times I have seen people having difficulties bumping over a ledge has been for either not enough run up to the ledge or waiting too late to throttle up before the ledge.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If this is addressed in the Bronco class, why not just share the information? By the time my schedule allowed for my being able to attend my invitation expired. As a result-I won’t be attending.
They are really generous about the dates despite the official policy, I have a 2021 and didn't go until late 2023.

That said, my instructor (who was extremely cool) apologized multiple times about not being able to teach me anything new (due to the limits of the course), and I have only limited experience off-road. It's a very basic course, but my girlfriend learned a ton. It is for newbies, any more experience than that and you won't be challenged.

We were in the lead vehicle (the instructor and I) and anytime he let me unleash the Bronco, we soon had to stop to let everyone else catch up on the fast sections. He was great about letting me open it up when I could. I do have a fair amount of road racing schools under my belt.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Wheeling for over 50 years and do not understand the question…what about your bronco does not allow “bumping” (power/gas a little before or during obstacle)? …or is there some meaning of “bumping” I don’t know about?…
Stair-step style obstacle where you’re trying to get up the next “step.” If you back up too far you’ll drop back down the last step. You have 3-4 inches to move for the next step. Crawling you lose traction. With other vehicles you can hold the brake and give it a little throttle to gain that little bit of momentum to get up the step. The Bronco doesn’t seem to allow it and won’t let the engine throttle up.

OP
OP
NOBUKSGIVN

NOBUKSGIVN

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You should attend the "Bronco Off-Rodeo." It's free if you purchased your Bronco new.
Thanks but was hoping to get a response without traveling to figure it out.
During the maiden voyage of my newly modified 23wildtrak on a rock crawling type run I found that there is seemingly no way to “bump up” on a ledge. Some folks say hold the brake and then push the throttle to get it to bump up. There was 0 affects.
don’t get me wrong, once you get going it’s all good but you need to be able to go slow and stop and get that torque going from a stop. Any help would be appreciated
46E1DFC7-9E05-44C9-9E32-066FAE467C98.jpeg
alright to better explain,,, it was about a 6’ stair step with about a 4’ initial ledge to climb. Once starting up the first ledge it was fine then as I transitioned to go up onto the last ledge my back tires have to come up at the same time. So I backed up just a bit to get the rig to bounce up onto the ledge. This rig will not allow this even if I hold the brake and try to spool the turbos to get that little torque to pop up on the ledge. In 4-low “ traction control turns off automatically “ tires air downed to 14psi, front and rear locker on , it’s a wildtrak so no rock crawl option which is basically just disengages the front sway bar. I hope this clears a few things up

OP
OP
NOBUKSGIVN

NOBUKSGIVN

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The times I have seen people having difficulties bumping over a ledge has been for either not enough run up to the ledge or waiting too late to throttle up before the ledge.
It will not throttle up , even in manual, just won’t let the rig build torque to do the bump. I’ll see if I can find a video

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Crawler gear in the manual and I can go as slow as traction allows, in Moab I watched several Broncos spin their tires going up steps, some bouncing enough that I worried they'd break a tie rod. I thought I would have similar wheel spin too, but with the lockers on, mine just walked right up the steps with very little drama or wheel spin; Spotter yelled out that's how you do it!

I was a little proud of myself... But, I also knew that the crawler gear and the Bronco did all the work so I didn't get cocky about it.

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Stair-step style obstacle where you’re trying to get up the next “step.” If you back up too far you’ll drop back down the last step. You have 3-4 inches to move for the next step. Crawling you lose traction. With other vehicles you can hold the brake and give it a little throttle to gain that little bit of momentum to get up the step. The Bronco doesn’t seem to allow it and won’t let the engine throttle up.
well that sucks…I haven’t had my Bronco long enough to get the mods done and hit any serious rocks so haven’t encountered this “yet”….if true just another example of ford engineering having no idea what crawling is about…does the ford tune change this?

Sponsored

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
well that sucks…I haven’t had my Bronco long enough to get the mods done and hit any serious rocks so haven’t encountered this “yet”….if true just another example of ford engineering having no idea what crawling is about…does the ford tune change this?
Not sure on the tune. My Rappy is the same year as our Bronco with a Goosetune and E85-the truck let’s me boost the hell out of it from a standstill. (Playing on the street/desert. I don’t take that one rock crawling)

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Question, if this is because of the turbos and most Jeeps are naturally aspirated, especially the top trim levels with all of the off road goodies, my question: Is this happening in Jeep's newer smaller 4 banger turbo too? Even if you could, I'm pretty sure your not going to order that engine, in a Rubicon.

I'd argue that Ford designed the Bronco more for the desert with good rock crawling ability, but for true hard core rock crawling a n/a engine, solid axle Jeep is a better tool. But which would be better at high speed in the desert? IFS & suspension, and the wheel track on the WTs & Raptors are especially suited for desert running.

Ford added the sway bar disconnect to the Badlands to steal some [more] of Jeeps sales and for marketing; it also increases the capability of the Bronco, but not to the extent of the solid axle Jeep. All the lower trims, in stock form w/o Sasquatch, are for the more casual wheeling and getting to a dispersed camp sites or overlanding, snow and etc.

And good starter points to do your own thing.

And because we know that a high percentage won't go off road the turbo engines are great for the hwy, I love it when the turbos come on when I need the power.

Lastly, Ford dropped their na V-6 and if I remember, someone who knows better can post, it was fairly good in the Mustang, but it was needing to be reworked to keep up with emissions and fuel economy v. the new turbos. And it was never a show stopper like a silky smooth straight six would be.

A nice straight six or the Coyote would be great na engines for low speed rock crawling, but would kill Ford's cafe and they don't have a silky smooth straight six anyway. The turbos are for the hwy and emissions & fuel economy, where most of the miles are spent; even by us wheeling, we gotta get there still.

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Question, if this is because of the turbos and most Jeeps are naturally aspirated, especially the top trim levels with all of the off road goodies, my question: Is this happening in Jeep's newer smaller 4 banger turbo too? Even if you could, I'm pretty sure your not going to order that engine, in a Rubicon.

I'd argue that Ford designed the Bronco more for the desert with good rock crawling ability, but for true hard core rock crawling a n/a engine, solid axle Jeep is a better tool. But which would be better at high speed in the desert? IFS & suspension, and the wheel track on the WTs & Raptors are especially suited for desert running.

Ford added the sway bar disconnect to the Badlands to steal some [more] of Jeeps sales and for marketing; it also increases the capability of the Bronco, but not to the extent of the solid axle Jeep. All the lower trims, in stock form w/o Sasquatch, are for the more casual wheeling and getting to a dispersed camp sites or overlanding, snow and etc.

And good starter points to do your own thing.

And because we know that a high percentage won't go off road the turbo engines are great for the hwy, I love it when the turbos come on when I need the power.

Lastly, Ford dropped their na V-6 and if I remember, someone who knows better can post, it was fairly good in the Mustang, but it was needing to be reworked to keep up with emissions and fuel economy v. the new turbos. And it was never a show stopper like a silky smooth straight six would be.

A nice straight six or the Coyote would be great na engines for low speed rock crawling, but would kill Ford's cafe and they don't have a silky smooth straight six anyway. The turbos are for the hwy and emissions & fuel economy, where most of the miles are spent; even by us wheeling, we gotta get there still.
Right, but it’s not a matter of waiting for the turbos to spool. Frankly I would think if you’re revving it that high you’ll be in for quite the ride when you release the brake 😂

The problem is that the engine isn’t throttling up at all, or at least not enough to be noticeable. With my Jeeps and their woefully underpowered pentastar engines you could hold the brakes and give it some throttle. You’d feel the suspension change and even when not using the bump up option it could be useful to “push” the body a certain way when articulating.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Maybe a pedal commander or one of the competitors would help. ?