First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands with Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ok...so I have consistently used nothing but Costco 93 octane fuel...I have 10,000 miles on my 2023 2 door, Badlands Sasquatch and for the last 4 fill ups I am consistently getting 20.3 MPG in Econo mode. I never bought my Bronco for MPG...I bought it for fun..and it is....my 2018 Civic SI 2 door got 38 MPG without breaking a sweat...but it's not a Bronco, Broncos are AWESOME!!! So my question is does anyone consistently use the 87 octane and what are your findings on MPG and power? Thanks for any thoughts...Amos
Sponsored

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have the performance tune and am running 93 now but it honestly ain’t that different than 87 with standard tune. My .02 save your money and just buy 87. I might get 1 mpg better on 93 but that clearly is not worth it when premium is like $1 more per gallon vs 87. $60ish to fill tank on 87 in Ohio and $80ish for 91/93. Just kind of silly for minimal gains.

Sponsored

Cux211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ram 2500 Laramie blackout cummins
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Impossible to track like this you would have to run the test yourself, demographics itself will play a huge role not to mention the specific driver, for me personally not worth the cost 93 in my area is more than diesel fuel which is ridiculous because in PA we have an insane amount of state road tax on diesel so my bronco gets 89

Alassise

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the same results when using 93 octane (-1MPG). Now, as many, I can't justify the additional cost of going to 93 for minimal gains. Also, tire pressure played a role on my gains/losses of MPG's, seeing better mileage at 38-39 lbs, but a rougher ride. I do not have SAS on my BL's, the best I have seen is 20 MPG with a tail wind.

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Never anything but 87 in our 2.7 2 door non-sas BL and we've consistently been at 19.2-20.3 in 25K miles (I have never used ECO mode).

AreUgettingEnufCaffeine

Big Bend
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My experience has been: If my digital gauge says 120 miles til Empty, Every mile I drive takes off a Gas Left Mile. Go 18 miles, you have 102 miles left. This is how I know whether to bring a can or not lol..if I'm down to 75 miles I can drive to work but will be sketchy coming home 😀
Edit: I only use 87

Last edited:

G8Rengineer

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Jeep XJ (original owner), 2012 Ford Expeditio
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have only used 87 miles in my 2-door BL 2.4/7 spd manual. Around town, I get 19—it does not seem to matter whether I am in Eco, Sport (Forscan hack), or Normal. (It is exactly two years old, and after the trip below, I have 16k miles on it.)

I just made a 5000-mile trip from Daytona Beach (where I am based) to Dallas (for the eclipse), then to Moab (White Rim Fire Trail), and back. I had my three sons, all of our gear, and the road loaded. Gas mileage was heavily impacted by speed and winds. At 65 --- about 15.5-17.0. On the way out in West Texas, with a 25 mph headwind and 70 mph, we saw 12.8 for an entire tank.

My 2019 F150 V8 gets 20 mpg consistently. BJs gas 87 octane in both.
Ford Bronco 93 OCTANE S 87 OCTANE AND RESULTS? IMG_8415

Sponsored

Alfa

Wildtrak
First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My anecdotal observations are that I have found that using 93 octane over 87 will get me about 15% better mileage. (I drive in normal mode unless on a road trip)

The price difference between 93 and 87 gas varies quite a bit around here, but if the difference is less than 10%, I buy the good stuff.

The Bronco definitely feels more responsive with 93 though.

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here in PA, premium is about $.70 cents more than 87. And that is not even 93 octane. Have used both and find not enough difference to pay an almost 20% up charge. Still get 22 mpg avg on my 2 door SAS 2.3 manual with regular 87 fuel.

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2.3 man non sas badlands Casey's 87 octane 19.5 to 20.5 mpg. Manual and 4.70 gears on 33's has plenty of power. 93 octane in most cases is wasted money. As someone who hauled gas and fuel in my nearly 40 years of trucking I can tell you 87 octane accidentily gets put in 93 octane storage tanks at gas stations a lot more often than you might think. I can also tell you most people's butt dyno can't detect a 15-20 hp difference either. Ethanol blended gas has less btu's per gallon so it's less efficient meaning less mpg so while it's lower priced per gallon it's actually more costly.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Versus the Civic, look at a vehicle from the front and that silhouette is trying to push through the air; less cross-sectional area can get better MPG easier. Look at it from the side, imagine your hand has to go over the top of that silhouette or like you're trying to slide it under a thick insulation blanket of air; smoother is more likely to get better MPG. The 2.3L in the mustang is rated at 33MPG on the highway but not in the Bronco, haha.

Everyone seems to be doing the wrong math.

A $1 difference between 87 and 91-93 is terrible if 87 is $2/gal, but not a big deal if it's $5/gal.

The comparisons should be cost per mile and the raw and percentage difference.

Your 20MPG, 87 is $4/gal, 93 is $5/gal

Your cost to drive, in fuel, is 20 cents per mile with 87, 25 cents per mile with 93, so the premium you'd pay is 5 cents per mile or 25% more.

Always 93 in my Bronco, outside of at least one pump that was 92, and I accept the cost premium of a few cents per mile.
*I enjoy it much less on a long trip, lol.

The less you drive per month, the less it impacts a monthly budget/expenditures. That's more math and more individualized, so you do you.

jrollo7

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ok...so I have consistently used nothing but Costco 93 octane fuel...I have 10,000 miles on my 2023 2 door, Badlands Sasquatch and for the last 4 fill ups I am consistently getting 20.3 MPG in Econo mode. I never bought my Bronco for MPG...I bought it for fun..and it is....my 2018 Civic SI 2 door got 38 MPG without breaking a sweat...but it's not a Bronco, Broncos are AWESOME!!! So my question is does anyone consistently use the 87 octane and what are your findings on MPG and power? Thanks for any thoughts...Amos
I have a 2023 BD with 2.7L engine: eco mode with 87 octane fuel I average 20. Don't have a heavy foot and get a bit better when on parkway.
Sponsored