Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That being said, 37’s is a lot to bite off and if you’re just going to the beach it might be more trouble and money then it’s worth for you if you’re happy now.
It is wild how one little wish spirals into an engineering and mechanical challenge. The moral of the story is 35's are pretty big already.
Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Indeed I do. Mine is a 2 DR Big Bend non-Sasquatch with the 2.3 and 3.73 rear end.

I installed King coilovers and the Ford Performance tune along with 37" BFG KM3's and couldn't be happier with the performance. The trick is to drive it in Sport Mode (I added this through ForScan). Sport Mode keeps the transmission from ever shifting into 9th or 10th gear, so it effectively like an electronic re-gear of the rear axle.

At highway speeds (75-80 mph), I usually get around 15-16 mpg. At slower speeds, it only gets better.

Hope that helps.

IMG_6066.jpeg
That's what I've been wondering about the Bronco automatic, given it has 10 speeds with I think 3 overdrive ratios, maybe re-gearing the diffs is not as necessary as in the past when automatics had only 3 or 4 gears. As you say, with the larger tires maybe don't use the upper overdrive gears, as long as the transmission is fine doing most of it's highway driving using only the 1:1 or first overdrive gear. You would effectively use it as a 7 speed automatic.

In terms of starting the vehicle rolling, you could lose some oomph especially 3.73 diffs rather than 4.46/4.7, but the torque converter would help mitigate that some.

Am I missing anything with the above? I have a manual trans, so I don't have experience how the Bronco automatic handles the larger tire size changes.

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It is wild how one little wish spirals into an engineering and mechanical challenge. The moral of the story is 35's are pretty big already.
That’s a really good way to put it. I had no intentions on lifting the Bronco as I hate what lift kits typically do to a vehicle. We went out wheeling with a two-door bronck and got high centered pretty bad. Girlie asked what could be done to overcome this, and I gave her the simple answer of bigger tires. The entire time we’ve been together she has never once asked for a material thing, so when she said she wants to run 40’s it was all over. Ordered the portals and steering rack a couple days later.

Sponsored

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have been seeing so many rigs running on 37s. They look great but
I don’t do a lot of off roading. Mostly beach days.

IMG_7471.jpeg
YOUR Bronco looks great.... Maybe do some inner searching and reflection on why installing "37s" and all the associated issues, would be worth it? 😂

Why not just give it a 1"-2" lift (Bilstein 5100) and get some more interesting wheels &/or a more agressive tread? Maybe go down to 16" wheels? and max your tire out at 33"?
***There is alot more to stance - that slapping some "37s" on there omg.
Get some OEM 16" Steelies and 33s" --- some 255/85 Pizza Cutter FALKEN Wildpeak M/Ts
Do something DIFFERENT than the "37s" guys

Last edited:

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That’s a really good way to put it. I had no intentions on lifting the Bronco as I hate what lift kits typically do to a vehicle. We went out wheeling with a two-door bronck and got high centered pretty bad. Girlie asked what could be done to overcome this, and I gave her the simple answer of bigger tires. The entire time we’ve been together she has never once asked for a material thing, so when she said she wants to run 40’s it was all over. Ordered the portals and steering rack a couple days later.
She have a sister?? lol

Rumbloki

Badlands
First Name
Alton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2, 1973 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In terms of starting the vehicle rolling, you could lose some oomph especially 3.73 diffs rather than 4.46/4.7, but the torque converter would help mitigate that some.

Am I missing anything with the above? I have a manual trans, so I don't have experience how the Bronco automatic handles the larger tire size changes.
Auto also has a lower first gear.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored
OP
OP

BroncGal

Black Diamond
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

YOUR Bronco looks great.... Maybe do some inner searching and reflection on why installing "37s" and all the associated issues, would be worth it? 😂

Why not just give it a 1"-2" lift (Bilstein 5100) and get some more interesting wheels &/or a more agressive tread? Maybe go down to 16" wheels? and max your tire out at 33"?
***There is alot more to stance - that slapping some "37s" on there omg.
Get some OEM 16" Steelies and 33s" --- some 255/85 Pizza Cutter FALKEN Wildpeak M/Ts
Do something DIFFERENT than the "37s" guys
Lol, honestly I have considered many possibilities and I am trying to make the best decision for what I need it for…the 37s look great to me but I do have to jump in on 35s currently. Hubby says not to size up because of everything else I need to consider but ultimately he says I can get anything I want.

I did consider the 16” wheel as well but am concerned that I may be limited with tire options/availability. I’m definitely changing out my wheels soon but have agreed to change tires until I’ve worn these out.

Immediate upcoming mods are switching out my fender flares and adding steps.

Regarding the lift…do you have recommendations on a 1-2” lift that would be compatible with the Sasquatch package? I thought I read that they have to remove it to put in a lift?

I’d like to have a good solid picture of what I’m getting myself into if I do decide to go bigger and this thread has answered so many of my questions!

Ford Bronco 37s on a 2.3L? IMG_8312

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150-KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP, lots of information all over the place on this thread, so I will try to provide some clarity.

If that is your Bronco in the picture you posted it looks to be an OBX with the Sasquatch package, if that is the case, you have the 4.7 gearing. The 2.3 paired with that gear ratio is a good combo for 37's. No need to regear or try and find lighter wheels or 16" rims. As someone mentioned though, you will need about 2" of additional lift to clear the bigger tires.

For your stated use case, beach days, you don't have to worry about a steering rack or beefier tie-rods or even braces. The stock units will be fine. However, it is worth buying an inner spare tie-rod and keeping it with your recovery gear or in your Bronco as cheap insurance. There are plenty of people, myself included, that wheel rocky obstacles on stock equipment and do just fine.

Since you do seem to like the beach, an air compressor and other basic recovery gear (shovel, snatch rope, shackles, etc) will probably be a good idea. If you are not traveling on hard pack sand, you will want to air down those tires to increase the contact patch and avoid getting stuck. Airing down the tires to 15psi will be enough. Then, before you hit the road again, use that air compressor to fill those 37's back up to 32-35psi.

OP
OP

BroncGal

Black Diamond
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OP, lots of information all over the place on this thread, so I will try to provide some clarity.

If that is your Bronco in the picture you posted it looks to be an OBX with the Sasquatch package, if that is the case, you have the 4.7 gearing. The 2.3 paired with that gear ratio is a good combo for 37's. No need to regear or try and find lighter wheels or 16" rims. As someone mentioned though, you will need about 2" of additional lift to clear the bigger tires.

For your stated use case, beach days, you don't have to worry about a steering rack or beefier tie-rods or even braces. The stock units will be fine. However, it is worth buying an inner spare tie-rod and keeping it with your recovery gear or in your Bronco as cheap insurance. There are plenty of people, myself included, that wheel rocky obstacles on stock equipment and do just fine.

Since you do seem to like the beach, an air compressor and other basic recovery gear (shovel, snatch rope, shackles, etc) will probably be a good idea. If you are not traveling on hard pack sand, you will want to air down those tires to increase the contact patch and avoid getting stuck. Airing down the tires to 15psi will be enough. Then, before you hit the road again, use that air compressor to fill those 37's back up to 32-35psi.
Thank you very much for this information! I have purchased an air compressor and have a shovel already in my rig but I will add the additional recommended items as well!

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Judging that OP isn't an offroader and doesn't know what a steering rack is, I'd say leave it stock.

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks @Blue Bronco for breaking it down very simply for the OP. I know all the answers myself already but even I was getting confused reading all the info here LOL. I was thinking of distilling it for her myself, until I came to your post. Everything she needs to know is right there.
Sponsored