First Name
travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
2022 Bronco Big Bend manual transmission.
Anyone have Clutch issues?
Sponsored

Last edited:

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
No telling what happened to the vehicle before it got away from the assembly plant. What we do know is that people have wrecked vehicles before they were even delivered to the dealer, so it is highly possible that the abuse occurred before you even touched it.

4500 miles is ridiculous. If you burnt it up, clearly, you'll burn up a second one... However, I bet you got it pre-abused. How many miles were on it at delivery?

Also, I would be pulling as much data from that ECU on performance history as I could. I am willing to bet that there are telematics data which prove that you didn't abuse it.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Without seeing the clutch and pressure plate, it seems an educated opinion is tough. Do you have the used parts or pictures? It should be somewhat obvious if it’s abuse or a bad adjustment.

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yep, that's pretty abused, somebody really cooked that clutch. Do you have any teenage drivers in your house? :unsure:

Sponsored

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base
The flywheel and pressure plate show signs of a lot of heat. Did the guy you let drive it know how to drive a stick? You should have had a real strong smell after that happened.

Another possibility is if someone rests their foot on the clutch when driving it letting it constantly slip a little. Many years ago when I was working as a mechanic a lady brought in her Datsun complaining about an odor, I knew right off what it was and asked her if she kept her foot on the clutch all the time and she said yes, that's the way she was taught to drive.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The beach, to someone unfamiliar with a Mt or low range, would be a great place to fry a clutch.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Driving off road is very different than pavement. Without driving yourself, you have no clue as to what happened. This is why they eliminated manuals from Off Rodeo...

Sponsored

Bschurr

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Braptor / 2023 Heritage LE / 2016 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Any chance your buddy got “stuck” in the sand while driving on the beach?

Timsvtgen1

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Audi Q3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The beach, to someone unfamiliar with a Mt or low range, would be a great place to fry a clutch.
My uncle had a Dakota with a MT and a brand-new clutch...the beach cooked that one as well.

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

yes but he hasn't driven it. I let a guy use it and while he was driving it at the beach is when the clutch failed. how can you tell it's abused? what would someone have to do to cause this kind of damage?
were you in the Bronco with this guy when you let him use it at the beach? If not, how do you know it wasn't being abused?

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I hate to say it, but the opinions here are spot on. That clutch failed at the beach because that's where it got hot and was destroyed. A clutch can do that with a single incident, it doesn't have to be cumulative and it doesn't take a whole lot. I can easily see the Bronco trying to bog down and the driver riding the clutch to keep the engine from stalling. That would do it in a heartbeat. The uneven, missing, feathered clutch material, and the hot spotting on the pressure plate are dead giveaways. I doubt the other driver even knew he was doing any damage until it was done and over with, if even then.
Sponsored