Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I feel like this is the best place for this gem. 74Weld has had issues, just not everything is public or upfront. Not like we got the low down on what actually happens.
1713216086787-6u.png
I watched it. Looks like installer error. Upper ball joint nut fell off. They got it back together and drove out.
Sponsored

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I watched it. Looks like installer error. Upper ball joint nut fell off. They got it back together and drove out.
Just low enough quality footage you can't tell. Also looked like there is something like a bushing still on in a few glimpses. Just more click bait and no showing what actually failed.

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just low enough quality footage you can't tell. Also looked like there is something like a bushing still on in a few glimpses. Just more click bait and no showing what actually failed.
At any rate it doesn't look like the portal or upgright failed, as they simply re-attached it to the UCA and (I'm assuming because they don't actually show it) drove out of there. I'm just pointing out that this doesn't look like a case of 74Weld "having issues and not being public or up-front about it" as you suggested. Such may exist, but this isn't an example of it.

MsPickles

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I feel like this is the best place for this gem. 74Weld has had issues, just not everything is public or upfront. Not like we got the low down on what actually happens.
1713216086787-6u.png
Was that the upright on the portal or the factory UCA having the issue? I couldn’t quite tell

Think I have an idea what happened. There is that bushing installed in the top of the upper for the portal, where the ball joint goes in. So it looks like they did not install the WASHER they were talking about under that bushing where the ball joint nut tightens up to. Makes sense. The bushing is pressed in, and a washer under that would hold that bushing into the portal upper, by the ball joint nut. If they missed that WASHER on install, the nut seems to have just tightened up on the bushing itself, and not "biting" in to the portal upper to hold that bushing in place, and the forces pulled the bushing out of the portal, causing the upper A arm to disconnect.
I attached two images. The first one after it happened, no bushing in the top of the portal. Second image is where they had dissembled it and put the bushing back in the portal upper, where Rudy "hammers" it with his palm.
What I'm seeing any way. :)

10.jpg

11.jpg

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Think I have an idea what happened. There is that bushing installed in the top of the upper for the portal, where the ball joint goes in. So it looks like they did not install the WASHER they were talking about under that bushing where the ball joint nut tightens up to. Makes sense. The bushing is pressed in, and a washer under that would hold that bushing into the portal upper, by the ball joint nut. If they missed that WASHER on install, the nut seems to have just tightened up on the bushing itself, and not "biting" in to the portal upper to hold that bushing in place, and the forces pulled the bushing out of the portal, causing the upper A arm to disconnect.
I attached two images. The first one after it happened, no bushing in the top of the portal. Second image is where they had dissembled it and put the bushing back in the portal upper, where Rudy "hammers" it with his palm.
What I'm seeing any way. :)

10.jpg

11.jpg
I’m thinking that tie-rod brace is to blame…😉

Sponsored

Dialtone

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend Mid
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Just an aside regarding casting. I used to work for a company that used lost wax casting for aircraft and large land based turbines. Incredibly strong. They actually produced the first non welded turbocharger impellers back in the late 70s. Back when "it couldn't be done".

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Completely different process from sand casting iron. Literally you can 3d print a part, sand cast it and pour in iron. I think the cast iron part is awesome! There are negatives due to weight and material properties but for cost cutting it's a legitimate solution. I don't have enough background in cast iron to really dig into design elements. I definitely don't have the understanding of what change need to be made to reduce manufacturing stress from casting and the unique design properties to increase the housings strength. This is one of those long lost art forms that China and India still possess.

Look at auto casting for old transfercases and transmission, they changed almost yearly chasing design issues. Cast iron is an art as much as it's material science.

I find cast iron extremely interesting, I love expensive knife steel so I might be weird about this subject.
My father owned a business that cast gravel pumps

quite the interesting thing I must admit

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco A New Kind of Portal 11
from watching the video and reading the transcript, it appears that a washer wasn't installed during the initial installation and that caused a failure. would love a more in-depth explanation...

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Totally a fault of the 74Weld design... ;) wrenching is hard... It turns in two directions.

Sponsored

DYak

Big Bend
First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Big Bend Baby
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Just an aside regarding casting. I used to work for a company that used lost wax casting for aircraft and large land based turbines. Incredibly strong. They actually produced the first non welded turbocharger impellers back in the late 70s. Back when "it couldn't be done".
Don't get me wrong guys, I think casting is awesome and can be a great design choice. Look at one ton knuckles and Currie/Dynatrac/UD60 diff housings. Certified angus beef.

Respectfully, I just don't trust the expertise of the guy who is about to add another 30 lbs to this problem and says nothing to see here.

All from the comfort of the "peanut gallery", of course.

Ford Bronco A New Kind of Portal oFpcPHd

Ford Bronco A New Kind of Portal IMG_3931

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This picture is like an advertisement but not in a good way :unsure:

Zoom in & you'll see it ;)
(Edit) It sure looks expensive.

Last edited:

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

from watching the video and reading the transcript, it appears that a washer wasn't installed during the initial installation and that caused a failure. would love a more in-depth explanation...
MsPickles

The Washer you are referring to is actually a second half of the bushing. The bushing is two parts, upper and lower. Mine could be slipped out. They are a tight fit but if one fell out and was not reinserted before assembly then the nut could potentially pull right through. The nut is a nylock cap nut.... see pic of the underside of the upright.
Ford Bronco A New Kind of Portal underside of portal upright