First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Everglades 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Install the Fumoto F107SX oil drain valve and perform services yourself.
With the valve, no mess.
Buy genuine Motorcraft filters wholesale from Rock Auto.
And you'll use a far better quality oil than the what the dealer buys for his bulk oil tank (I use Castrol Edge - $28 5qt container)
Sponsored

Last edited:

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sounds like a sloppy oil change but I wouldn't worry about the oil dripping. Oil can drip for awhile if it gets spilled and it can happen on the 2.3L when removing the filter. Definitely a sloppy job and getting it on the grill.

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm wondering how others have experienced an oil change through a Ford dealership. I took my '23 Heritage for its first oil change to a local dealer. I waited about an hour for them to perform the oil change and rotate the tires. When it was completed I did a walk around and everything looked fine, except for some grease marks on the white grill. No biggie and I left the dealership. After I had it parked in my driveway I noticed a few oil spots below the engine area on the driveway. After close inspection I saw lots of oil droplets on the undercarriage. I parked it in the garage and the next day there was more oil that had dripped onto the garage floor.
IMG_1757.jpeg

I took the truck back to the dealership a few days later to make sure everything was tight. They inspected the vehicle and said all was good. They wiped everything down underneath the engine and said that they think some oil had spilled out durring servicing. When I got it home, I checked underneath and saw a few drops of oil on the transmission. I talked to the service manage and he said it was most likely still some residual oil from the initial oil change. I think he is correct.
IMG_1793.jpeg

Has anyone else experienced this issue after an oil change?
This is what I do:
I type up exactly what I want done, what I do not want done and what I expect...including clean up of any oil that may have ran onto the frame/other, also to replace all rock-bash plates. I give a copy to the service manager and tape a copy to a box of doughnuts for the mechanic. (It is a psychological thing. They remember you, your ride and what you expect).
Before leaving I walkaround the vehicle to make sure there is no obvious damage.
When I get home, I check the engine, filter area for any obvious leaks.
I have been doing this for the last 10-12 years and have had zero issues. I also have a dealership(s) that has good staff.

pjstans

Wildtrak
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm wondering how others have experienced an oil change through a Ford dealership. I took my '23 Heritage for its first oil change to a local dealer. I waited about an hour for them to perform the oil change and rotate the tires. When it was completed I did a walk around and everything looked fine, except for some grease marks on the white grill. No biggie and I left the dealership. After I had it parked in my driveway I noticed a few oil spots below the engine area on the driveway. After close inspection I saw lots of oil droplets on the undercarriage. I parked it in the garage and the next day there was more oil that had dripped onto the garage floor.
IMG_1757.jpeg

I took the truck back to the dealership a few days later to make sure everything was tight. They inspected the vehicle and said all was good. They wiped everything down underneath the engine and said that they think some oil had spilled out durring servicing. When I got it home, I checked underneath and saw a few drops of oil on the transmission. I talked to the service manage and he said it was most likely still some residual oil from the initial oil change. I think he is correct.
IMG_1793.jpeg

yep..I have replaced 2 of the crappy plastic drain plugs that they use..also, be aware of your front pinion seal (already replaced) and possibly the seal between both halves of the front differential-there are known issues with those as well...I don't think the plastic shroud underneath helps either as fluids can drip there first and could make it harder to identify the source/location

Clemmy

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang MachE
Your Bronco Model
Base
Went in for my first oil change 3500 miles and tire rotation (free from the dealer). Takes about an hour longer than it should and the service writer says they didn’t rotate the tires because there was no wear on them?!?! Says we will rotate when you do your next change at 8000 miles? Then say make sure to bring you lug nut lock tool, “tech couldn’t find it”! Told him it’s in the glove box tool kit where you guys put it after the dealer installed lugs were installed. Call the service manager the next day. He apologizes and says bring it back. He will make sure it get done. Take it back two weeks later. Meet with the service manager. Discuss the 5 tire rotation pattern. He actually prints one out and tells me to hang on to it in case I ever go to another place for a rotation. 45 mins later he hands me my keys and apologizes again for having to come back. Walk out to my truck and immediately notice that the spare is untouched! Back inside, heated discussion, and an hour later finally finished correctly.

Sponsored

Donkeygyrl

Base
First Name
Sheri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sloppy oil change ,next time when seeing drips check lipstick to confirm oil level ,lots of places for residual oil to creep out of.

FordFamily4Fun

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'10 Escape, '16 Explorer, '22 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well, I gotta pay for my oil changes. Bought my 10k miles used Bronc from a dealer chain owned by Penske Motorsports. As long as they change my oil each year with Penzoil, I get a 15 year 300K mile engine warranty. No worries about a blown transmission for life of vehicle :beer:

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The oil filter location on the 2.3s is classic engineer vs mechanic. I installed the Fumoto 107sx and a length of Tygon fuel/oil hose with a cap. Now, I can put the oil pan in one spot for both the filter and drain. I just turn off the valve, wipe the filter drain channel, tuck the tubing, and replace the skid.

Sloppy oil change ,next time when seeing drips check lipstick to confirm oil level ,lots of places for residual oil to creep out of.
I'm just going to say that you should not use your lipstick to check the oil level. 😂

vicorjh

Wildtrak
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrack
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The oil filter location on the 2.3s is classic engineer vs mechanic. I installed the Fumoto 107sx and a length of Tygon fuel/oil hose with a cap. Now, I can put the oil pan in one spot for both the filter and drain. I just turn off the valve, wipe the filter drain channel, tuck the tubing, and replace the skid.

I'm just going to say that you should not use your lipstick to check the oil level. 😂
Agree'd. Replacing the oil drain plug with a valved plug makes for a simple and mess free oil change. For the 2.7, don't even need an oil catch pan. just slide a 2.5 gallon carboy under the vehicle and drop the drain hose into that. Once full, bring carboy with the waste oil in for disposal.

Longevity of the valved plug is to be seen, though.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Agree'd. Replacing the oil drain plug with a valved plug makes for a simple and mess free oil change. For the 2.7, don't even need an oil catch pan. just slide a 2.5 gallon carboy under the vehicle and drop the drain hose into that. Once full, bring carboy with the waste oil in for disposal.

Longevity of the valved plug is to be seen, though.
I think I learned a new word, carboy.

The plastic pan on 2.7s has to be one of the weirdest decisions Ford made with the Broncos. I don't think I have to worry about the Fumoto with the metal pan on the 2.3L. If I ever feel like I slam on a rock harder than a pothole on the freeway, I'll be sure to check that it's still closed. It requires a specific and significant force to open the valve.

The little plastic retainer clip probably wouldn't stay on, but a zip tie would likely hold up to more jarring situations. I think the skid plate does the job the plastic clip was made to do.

Sponsored

CGCarolinaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base (Hubby) 2021 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

IMG_1757.jpeg

IMG_1793.jpeg

Happened to me as well. I was mortified. Had 4 days of a drip. After that was fine no issues at all. 2 months later not one drip at all. Some people just don’t wipe nothing down if they are careless.

Onestepmore

Badlands
First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands with Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
IMG_1757.jpeg

IMG_1793.jpeg

I just had my second oil change at 10k miles and I haven't had that experience...but I use to change my oil (when I was young and flexible) and many times the oil would get splashed around and it would drip until I found out where it was hiding. I think you're ok but it is annoying on your drive way. Climb underneath and see if it is on a skid plate and slowly finger it's way out...Amos

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just changed at 15k-ish, because it's easier to remember and gives me wiggle room using synthetic oil and Wix XP filters.

So, here's a pic of the setup:

Ford Bronco Oil Change Experience 1000014460

Clockwise from top-left:
  • Zip tied Tygon tubing, valve side, leaks if I pull it hard to one side while draining. No leaks otherwise.
  • Wix 51348 (non-XP, because O'Reilly guy lied? and were out last time) oil filter, draining.
  • Skid plate under trash bag I re-use for transporting oil to auto parts store for recycling.
  • Some auto parts store 15qt drain pan, great for multiple vehicles.
  • Flashlight, to check for leaks, etc.
  • Dewalt electric ratchet that I end up not using, to be nice to my neighbors in the morning, except to bolt the skid back on real quick.
  • Cheap, blue Hobo Freight 15mm socket because I outsmarted myself and put the 15mm deep socket in a specific oil change tools spot.
  • Oil sample for Blackstone Laboratories taken after several seconds of draining--stupid easy with the tubing.
  • Nitrile gloves I used to try and keep my hands clean before I lost my cool and took it off.
  • Doubled over, thick cardboard moving box to catch drops and slide on like a poor man's creeper, because I learned this way growing up poor as a kid and I don't have to lift a stock Badlands to change the oil.
  • The other end of the Tygon tubing (maybe this is out of order) with the rubber cap back on it. I was waiting for any extra oil lining the inside to collect in that bend. It's a gamechanher for the 2.3L oil changes.
Here is the oil filter mating surface right after removal and then after a wipe down and wiping the oil chute.

Ford Bronco Oil Change Experience 1000014461

Ford Bronco Oil Change Experience 1000014462

It's not a lot and I did not get a shot of the long, skinny chute. The blue shop towel I used got more oil from wiping it down, though. The Ford oil monkeys are not likely to wipe that down or have the time to let the oil drain out of the channel. That's where the drops and such are going to come from.

I was always taught to let it drain for at least 30-45 minutes or do something else and wait until lunch. What I have gathered online, here, and from a Ford service advisor, is that the 2.3L oil change is usually done with two separate draining procedures; main drain plug, then oil filter. With the Tygon tubing, I can leave the valve open and filter off as long as I want without moving the drain pan making it more complete and thorough in my guess-timation.

Don't forget to prime the oil filter:

7MT
  1. Depress clutch and accelerator pedals.
  2. Press start button once.
  3. When the starter stops turning, release pedals.
  4. Start the engine normally.
10A is the same, but you depress the brake and clutch.

It would be nice if it were a menu option that also reset the oil life, but it's simple enough. I love my Bronco!

smonroe11

Badlands
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great write up! What do you mean by…

“10A is the same, but you depress the brake and clutch.”

is that what you do after the oil change is over?

Thanks in advance.
Steve

jrollo7

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just a data point - a couple weeks ago, on a Saturday, my "change oil" indicator popped up (I'd been waiting) for my first oil change. Booked at my local dealer through the FordPass app on my phone that day for Monday when they opened at 7 AM. Got there about 7:05 (traffic sucked) so had to wait a bit for an available advisor, hung my "Do Not Wash" placard on the mirror and mentioned same to service tech/advisor, then went to waiting room for coffee and Kindle. Around 8 AM they were done and my truck was ready right outside the door (unwashed, as per request).

No issues then or since and the price, with tax, was $58. I had never even visited this dealer before and only had a couple email convo's back when I was placing my order but they weren't interested in dealing and required me to physically come in (during pandemic) to initiate an order. I passed and ordered from Granger (no regrets there).

Engine bay is clean, nothing dripping under the truck, no issues at all.
BTW I ran the numbers on what they charged me for oil on the receipt ($23.76) and it was less than the per quart price for 5 gallon jugs at Wal-Mart; filter and gasket were $10.77.

It's just one visit but, so far, I'm more than happy with being in and out in less than an hour for $58. Coffee wasn't as good as at my Acura dealer but it was still decent. :)
First oil change and tire rotation is free.
Sponsored