First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I gave my old Valentine One (gen. 1) that I've had since the late 90's or early 2000's to my nephew a few years ago, and I kind of missed having one. I didn't know until a few days ago when I was shopping for a new one that Mike Valentine, for the first time since he launched Valentine Research, had made an all new model. Nor did I know about the existence of apps that take advantage of Bluetooth to greatly expand the functionality of high-end detectors like the Valentine. I'm not particularly given to high speed (except when I'm in special places the desert southwest), but I do like the cat and mouse aspect of radar detectors (it's kind of like a game to spot speed traps) and I also get more than a little satisfaction from the telltale beeps when some asshole blows past me in heavy traffic at 100 mph only to see them pulled over up ahead. I placed my order on Wednesday of last week. After all the goodies finally arrived today, I did the installation. It's not overly complicated, but I'll go ahead and summarize it below just in case the information helps anyone out.

Equipment:
1. Valentine One Generation 2 (V1G2) radar locator from Valentine Research - made in Cincinnati, Ohio.
2. BlendMount billet aluminum rearview mirror mount - made in California (part number BV1-2001R).
3. MirrorTap power cord kit - made by BlendMount in California (part number MTX-1015).

Electrical procedure:
Time - about 15 minutes.
1. Disconnect the adapter from the back of the mirror.
2. Volt meter identified the white wire as positive and the black wire as negative (0 V with engine off, ~11.9 in accessory mode, and ~13.2 with the engine running).
3. From the MirrorTap kit: I inserted the pin on the MirrorTap red connector into the hole with the white factory wire, and I inserted the pin on the black connector into the hole with the black factory wire. NOTE: MirrorTap includes four different sized connectors - to physically fit, the positive hole required the smallest red connector and the negative hole accommodated the second smallest black connector. The fit is snug and secure. Be careful not to break the pins.
4. Attach the other end of the red and black connectors to the MirrorTap-supplied short RJ-11 cable. If you have heat shrink tubing on the cable, position it over this junction and apply heat.

Mounting procedure:
Time - about 45 minutes to 1 hour for "good enough" or 2 hours for perfection.
This wasn't exactly a bear to accomplish, but it did take some time to get everything perfect. I suggest that you mostly follow the BlendMount instructions, with a few alterations. I'll not detail the entire procedure here - just changes I made and some suggestions.
1. The Bronco's mirror stem is 7/8" - I measured with calipers. Remove the bushings from the clamp on the BlendMount - they're for 3/4" stems.
2. BlendMount says to perform the installation while sitting in the passenger side. This will not work (at least on some Broncos) because a large plastic housing to the right of the mirror stem is in the way. REVERSE THE POSITION of the jaws on the clamp so that you can turn the Allen screw from the driver side when you attach the clamp to the stem. In reality, you'll be sitting on both sides multiple times throughout the installation process as you repetitively tighten and untighten various bolts until you get your positioning and angles just right.
3. The Bronco mirror stem pivots at the window and at the mirror. This will help you. Fitting the Allen key is awkward at times, and you'll be making many 1/6 and 1/3 turns with it before you're through.

Results:
One perfectly positioned and secured Valentine One on the vertical, horizontal and longitudinal axes. I used my level on the iPhone for horizontal and vertical fine tuning, and I used the compass app on the iPhone to match up the heading of the Bronco and the heading of the long axis of the V1. I have a two hour trip tomorrow and can't wait to play with this thing. Is engineer and guru Mike Valentine the founder of a cult? Quite possibly, and it's good to be back in it!

Here are a handful of photos below to show the finished result and positioning.

Ford Bronco Valentine One radar detector installed today with BlendMount and MirrorTaps! IMG_7659
Ford Bronco Valentine One radar detector installed today with BlendMount and MirrorTaps! IMG_7664
Ford Bronco Valentine One radar detector installed today with BlendMount and MirrorTaps! IMG_7668
Ford Bronco Valentine One radar detector installed today with BlendMount and MirrorTaps! IMG_7666
Sponsored

Last edited:

WarthogJr

Black Diamond
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I thought radar detectors went out with the 90’s, along with T-tops and louvers. Or maybe I’m just not driving fast enough! I got pulled over for speeding once in the late 80’s. As the officer approached my window, he asked, “Did that radar detector go off?” He seemed pleased when I told him “yes.”

FleshTuxedo

Outer Banks
First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 OBX 2dr.
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I thought radar detectors went out with the 90’s, along with T-tops and louvers. Or maybe I’m just not driving fast enough! I got pulled over for speeding once in the late 80’s. As the officer approached my window, he asked, “Did that radar detector go off?” He seemed pleased when I told him “yes.”
The Bronco *almost* has T-Tops :ROFLMAO:.

Also, when I saw the thread title I'm like "why you need a radar detector in a Bronco?"
Then I realized that my Broncos comfort speed on the highway is 83 :LOL:

Dog

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I gave my old Valentine One (gen. 1) that I've had since the late 90's or early 2000's to my nephew a few years ago, and I kind of missed having one. I didn't know until a few days ago when I was shopping for a new one that Mike Valentine, for the first time since he launched Valentine Research, had made an all new model. Nor did I know about the existence of apps that take advantage of Bluetooth to greatly expand the functionality of high-end detectors like the Valentine. I'm not particularly given to high speed (except when I'm in special places the desert southwest), but I do like the cat and mouse aspect of radar detectors (it's kind of like a game to spot speed traps) and I also get more than a little satisfaction from the telltale beeps when some asshole blows past me in heavy traffic at 100 mph only to see them pulled over up ahead. I placed my order on Wednesday of last week. After all the goodies finally arrived today, I did the installation. It's not overly complicated, but I'll go ahead and summarize it below just in case the information helps anyone out.

Equipment:
1. Valentine One Generation 2 (V1G2) radar locator from Valentine Research - made in Cincinnati, Ohio.
2. BlendMount billet aluminum rearview mirror mount - made in California (part number BV1-2001R).
3. MirrorTap power cord kit - made by BlendMount in California (part number MTX-1015).

Electrical procedure:
Time - about 15 minutes.
1. Disconnect the adapter from the back of the mirror.
2. Volt meter identified the white wire as positive and the black wire as negative (0 V with engine off, ~11.9 in accessory mode, and ~13.2 with the engine running).
3. From the MirrorTap kit: I inserted the pin on the MirrorTap red connector into the hole with the white factory wire, and I inserted the pin on the black connector into the hole with the black factory wire. NOTE: MirrorTap includes four different sized connectors - to physically fit, the positive hole required the smallest red connector and the negative hole accommodated the second smallest black connector. The fit is snug and secure. Be careful not to break the pins.
4. Attach the other end of the red and black connectors to the MirrorTap-supplied short RJ-11 cable. If you have heat shrink tubing on the cable, position it over this junction and apply heat.

Mounting procedure:
Time - about 45 minutes to 1 hour for "good enough" or 2 hours for perfection.
This wasn't exactly a bear to accomplish, but it did take some time to get everything perfect. I suggest that you mostly follow the BlendMount instructions, with a few alterations. I'll not detail the entire procedure here - just changes I made and some suggestions.
1. The Bronco's mirror stem is 7/8" - I measured with calipers. Remove the bushings from the clamp on the BlendMount - they're for 3/4" stems.
2. BlendMount says to perform the installation while sitting in the passenger side. This will not work (at least on some Broncos) because a large plastic housing to the right of the mirror stem is in the way. REVERSE THE POSITION of the jaws on the clamp so that you can turn the Allen screw from the driver side when you attach the clamp to the stem. In reality, you'll be sitting on both sides multiple times throughout the installation process as you repetitively tighten and untighten various bolts until you get your positioning and angles just right.
3. The Bronco mirror stem pivots at the window and at the mirror. This will help you. Fitting the Allen key is awkward at times, and you'll be making many 1/6 and 1/3 turns with it before you're through.

Results:
One perfectly positioned and secured Valentine One on the vertical, horizontal and longitudinal axes. I used my level on the iPhone for horizontal and vertical fine tuning, and I used the compass app on the iPhone to match up the heading of the Bronco and the heading of the long axis of the V1. I have a two hour trip tomorrow and can't wait to play with this thing. Is engineer and guru Mike Valentine the founder of a cult? Quite possibly, and it's good to be back in it.

Here are a handful of photos below to show the finished result and positioning.

Great write-up. But even easier: just dropping this in here from a post 2 months ago:

If you need power from the mirror, use this plug-and-play harness. Plugs right into the wire harness on the back of the mirror, e-z-p-z. No wire taps or splicing or fuse taps needed. 5 minute install:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088P4VFQ7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then pair it with this USB to RJ11 adapter from sticker fab:
https://www.stickerfab.com/en-jp/co...ne-uniden-radar-detector-power-cord-universal

I use this combo to run my Valentine 1 detector, with a mirror mount adapter.

Sponsored
OP
OP
wizardoforange

wizardoforange

Wildtrak
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Great write-up. But even easier: just dropping this in here from a post 2 months ago:

If you need power from the mirror, use this plug-and-play harness. Plugs right into the wire harness on the back of the mirror, e-z-p-z. No wire taps or splicing or fuse taps needed. 5 minute install:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088P4VFQ7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then pair it with this USB to RJ11 adapter from sticker fab:
https://www.stickerfab.com/en-jp/co...ne-uniden-radar-detector-power-cord-universal

I use this combo to run my Valentine 1 detector, with a mirror mount adapter.
I considered it. It’s easy, but not particularly elegant. That adapter steps the voltage down from 12V at the mirror to 5V at the USB connector, and it then has to be brought back up to 12V within the butt of the USB-RJ11 combo cable. If I were going to use that connector, I’d chop off the USB component, solder the remaining wires to an RJ11 power cord, and apply heat shrink insulation to make it look nice.

Last edited:

ctskier

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Badlands 7 Speed (June 2024)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great stuff. I have a Uniden R8. May do something similar when my Bronco comes

OP
OP
wizardoforange

wizardoforange

Wildtrak
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Great stuff. I have a Uniden R8. May do something similar when my Bronco comes
The majority of the bracket is the same for the R8. The bottom portion where it affixes to the detector will be different. I’m impressed with BlendMount’s materials and quality. Their website selector will direct you to the right part number.

Sponsored

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
IMO a cleaner mounting location is above the mirror. There is a lip in the plastic so you would need to make a spacer block. I mounted my Uniden there, made the spacer from a block of soft pine that I sanded down to the correct thickness, painted black, and mounted to the bronco with "hard velcro" (it is a set of interlocking plastic teeth that holds things firmly in place, forgot who makes it but Home Depot sells it)... or you can use double sided sticky tape. In addition to a visually cleaner install this also hides the detector from external view, which makes it less likely for someone to decide they want your expensive toy.

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My last ticket was clocked via aircraft.....now whenever I see the aircraft markings on the local highway I get uneasy/slow down
Just get Highway Radar with wzSabre plugin. It will alert you to aircraft in the air in your vicinity. It has real time reports on speed traps which are useful for cops using laser, which requires very expensive counter measures that few are willing to spend on.

https://highwayradar.com/

ctskier

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Badlands 7 Speed (June 2024)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just get Highway Radar with wzSabre plugin. It will alert you to aircraft in the air in your vicinity. It has real time reports on speed traps which are useful for cops using laser, which requires very expensive counter measures that few are willing to spend on.

https://highwayradar.com/
what data base are you using with that? i tried the app and it gave a warning about using the waze data base

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond