swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I'm sure FMC only provides mount warranty for factory size wheels. And I'm sure an aftermarket wheel and aftermarket tire in factory sizes is also covered. Hence no reinforcements needed.

I'm also sure there is significant margin of safety in the factory mount to adequately support oversize/overweight wheel options.

Personally, I wouldn't run an oversize tire and storage box with cargo (or similar accessories) on the factory mount while agressively wheeling.

TheLawnDart

Raptor
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser, Subaru Forrester, Hyundai Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

When recommended?
I’d recommend it if you add any additional weight over stock. I added an IAG tailgate table (20lbs?) and that was enough to make the tailgate sag and clip my bumper a little after some heavy off-roading.

OP
OP

Barzo

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I haven't received the vehicle yet, but am upgrading tires, including the spare, to ko3's 285/70/17, which appears to weigh just shy of 60lbs.

OP
OP

Barzo

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My apologies. I did not intend this for the Raptor forum.

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I haven't received the vehicle yet, but am upgrading tires, including the spare, to ko3's 285/70/17, which appears to weigh just shy of 60lbs.
Adding a limited amount of weight on the stock spare tire carrier doesn't seem like a reason to upgrade, although you can if you like (some of them look good). See below, but the stock carrier I assume is across all non-Raptor models and hence should hold a tire fine that's six pounds heavier than the stock Goodyears.

I assume the Big Bend is non-Sas, so going up to 35's I would think wouldn't matter on the spare; it has the same mount? I don't know, but I would guess so. Shouldn't be an issue; let me know if someone knows better. Maybe the light is lower and needs to be replaced? 🤷‍♂️

Once you go up to 37's, especially heavier variants like the Falken Wild Peaks or Nitto Trail Grapplers, you're up nearly 30lbs. Also note you'll need to do something about the bumper at that size, since it'll be in the way.

Your options if you go that far are upgraded hinges, a system like TOR's that replaces and significantly stiffens the mount, a basket like DV8's, or a swing mount bumper. Once you get into the latter, consider you have to move the camera (if you have it) and rear tail light. You'll need to relocate the rear tail light if you have 37's (in most cases) since the tire is too tall. Additionally, you may sag with all that weight, so you might also be looking at upgraded shocks or coils.

Moral of the story: Unless you want a whole project, keep the tires realistic and you'll be fine.

Last edited:

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As @userdude mention I run the DV8 solution with a 37. It works very well and I have taken it off-road. I have not added other things to the tailgate though, I may get a table but not much else.

Ford Bronco Spare tire reinforcement 1719935400937-80

Sponsored

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I’d recommend it if you add any additional weight over stock. I added an IAG tailgate table (20lbs?) and that was enough to make the tailgate sag and clip my bumper a little after some heavy off-roading.
Extremely odd, the table can't weigh that much and there is no way that 20 lb could cause a tail gate sag after off roading. The spare and gate combined weigh 10x that amount.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
If it’s not a raptor then you should definitely get one if you intend to take of off road
Disagree. Just like the Raptor, the non-Raptor hinges and mount will take an appropriate off-road beating with a factory wheel.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

When recommended?
When the spare tire support upgrade fad first started, those with Sasquatch were discovering more tailgate flex than they expected and wanted some extra strength. Then, there was interest in mounting extra equipment in or on the tailgate, which also would add stress and weight that became noticeable when off-roading. Then, 37's became a thing, adding lots of weight. Hammerbuilt was among the first tailgate reinforcement solutions, and they also planned in lots of nifty attachment brackets.

Personally I mostly bought the Hammerbuilt system so I could easily and functionally store stuff on the bracket, and have extra tailgate strength for my slight upgrade from 32" tires to 33" tires. If I ever go to 35" tires, this weight problem is already solved. I can add and remove storage brackets easily. Best of all, I could install it myself, and Tyson, the owner, was very helpful. Highly recommend!

Ford Bronco Spare tire reinforcement 20230422_151200

Empty plate with brackets off. Easy to remove brackets.
Ford Bronco Spare tire reinforcement 20240305_171029

1 Rotopax can. Note flag bracket at top
Ford Bronco Spare tire reinforcement 20240226_203435

2 gas cans
Ford Bronco Spare tire reinforcement 20240416_161823

Empty bracket with 2 Rotopax mounts
Ford Bronco Spare tire reinforcement 20240301_153753

Y2KFirehawk

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

When the spare tire support upgrade fad first started, those with Sasquatch were discovering more tailgate flex than they expected and wanted some extra strength. Then, there was interest in mounting extra equipment in or on the tailgate, which also would add stress and weight that became noticeable when off-roading. Then, 37's became a thing, adding lots of weight. Hammerbuilt was among the first tailgate reinforcement solutions, and they also planned in lots of nifty attachment brackets.

Personally I mostly bought the Hammerbuilt system so I could easily and functionally store stuff on the bracket, and have extra tailgate strength for my slight upgrade from 32" tires to 33" tires. If I ever go to 35" tires, this weight problem is already solved. I can add and remove storage brackets easily. Best of all, I could install it myself, and Tyson, the owner, was very helpful. Highly recommend!

Empty plate with brackets off. Easy to remove brackets.

1 Rotopax can. Note flag bracket at top

2 gas cans

Empty bracket with 2 Rotopax mounts
Clean setup! Somewhat disheartening to see the rust forming on the accessory bracket though.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Clean setup! Somewhat disheartening to see the rust forming on the accessory bracket though.
There's no rust, that's a light reflection likely from the Lithium WD40 I liberally spray on fittings used on the beach! When the bracket is off (as it is now) the bolts store nicely alone on the mounting plate (photo).

20240703_103343.jpg
Sponsored