Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Me too, me too. šŸ˜‚

I talked with Stellar. They were willing to do another but I had to drop my Bronco (approx 2,000 miles from me) and work was by the hour. Itā€™s all custom and intricate stuff. The front included a skid plate and also custom mounts for crash bar removal.

*Approximate* estimates shared with me put both bumpers as shown in the $9-10k range. Had the wife bought in, but distance was the deal killer for us. And I couldnā€™t find a local shop with skills or time to tackle this project.
Lawdy. Suddenly Iā€™m feeling content with what Iā€™ve doneā€¦
Sponsored

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hereā€™s the write up on the rear winch install we just completed using the APG rear winch mount.

With the triangulated four link and PB&J lower links (shipping today) it looks like it shouldnā€™t take too much to pinch the exhaust between the truss and the frame. We took the exhaust back with a simple flowmaster muffler on amazon. Tapped the frame and made our own secondary mount out of the factory brackets no longer being used. Now with all that room freeā€™d up, why not throw a winch back there? So we did.

Iā€™ll start off by saying the powdercoat on this mount is pretty awful. You look at it crosseyed and it flakes off. Pretty embarrassing. The mount itself lined up well enough and only required the use of a floor jack and mallet to get into place. APG says this mount is designed for a Warn S8 so naturally, thatā€™s what we purchased. However the only way youā€™ll be able to get that to fit is to remove the hidden compartment under the floor. We took off the control panel and mounted it sideways to the skid plate holding the winch. Bonus-if we need to plug in the remote it is ridiculously easy to reach now. (In their marketing materials they say everything is very easy to reach. This makes sense if you have that compartment removed)

Youā€™ll need to cut through your frame and rear bumper to run the winch line. Originally I had planned on bracing the frame but after looking at the design of the mounting plate and how it attaches to the sides Iā€™m not worried about it. Also, youā€™ll need to get some new bolts and nuts in place of the receiver bolts. We used the Warn fairlead on the inside of the frame and a Yankum fairlead on the outside of the bumper.

IMG_5103.jpeg

IMG_1674.jpeg

IMG_1675.jpeg

IMG_1683.jpeg

IMG_1684.jpeg

IMG_1685.jpeg
that is cooler then a polar bear eating a snow cone ...thanks
ps
i mean a woman that can do this shinizy ..cables cool too lol

nolimits

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Explorer ST | 23 Challenger SP 1320
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lawdy. Suddenly Iā€™m feeling content with what Iā€™ve doneā€¦
Yeah, very pricey. But someone with the shop and fab skills could do for lots less.

Donā€™t discount what youā€™ve done. It is amazing! Only the second rear winch install Iā€™ve seen on B6Gā€™s.

One questionā€¦.could be the camera angleā€¦but do you have to remove the rear tire or swing the carrier open to winch? Looks like it might be in the way or really close.

OP
OP
SierraBronco

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
that is cooler then a polar bear eating a snow cone ...thanks
ps
i mean a woman that can do this shinizy ..cables cool too lol
The lady now has first dibs on anything related to cutting. Still learning to weld but loves that too

OP
OP
SierraBronco

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yeah, very pricey. But someone with the shop and fab skills could do for lots less.

Donā€™t discount what youā€™ve done. It is amazing! Only the second rear winch install Iā€™ve seen on B6Gā€™s.

One questionā€¦.could be the camera angleā€¦but do you have to remove the rear tire or swing the carrier open to winch? Looks like it might be in the way or really close.
I got it as low as we could and the fairlead is sitting flush against the bumper. No tire interference and should still be good with a 40ā€ spare unless weā€™re winching at an upward angle. Then weā€™ll need to open the tailgate.

IMG_1682.jpeg

Sponsored

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I vaguely remember that. I'd go for a hidden rear mount if I didn't also want a trailer hitch.
I still have my hitch. I didn't cut anything except the bumper. And with the fairlead bolted in it's probably stonger than it started out.

Also I'm running the Borla Climber Touring cat back. Only had to cut and reclock the last weld on the tailpiece a little. Otherwise works perfect. It's honestly probably a little quieter than I would like, but no drone so that's nice.

20231202_123310.jpg

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Given any choice I'd prefer a quieter muffler. I'll drive my WRX with a Stromung muffler when I want rumble. I like the tip of the Borla over the "phart can" look of the AWE/APG.

Thanks for the input! Gives me one more thing to add to the list. Just need to find a good shop.

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Normally, I'm all for receiver mounts, but the Bronco hitch mount, even with the Raptor bars, is essentially a taco that bolts through a crossmember using four unsleeved bolts, with no frame rail tie-in reinforcement.

Image courtesy of @Tricky Dick

2021-Bronco-Trailer-Hitch-installation-process.jpg

Receiver mount winch pulls are always cantilevered more than traditionally mounted by their plug-in nature, so stronger is better when it comes to a hitch receiver for multimount winching.

I personally wouldn't even put a hitch D-ring on my hitch for recovery, I'd use the recovery loops that are tied to the frame rail directly.

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Normally, I'm all for receiver mounts, but the Bronco hitch mount, even with the Raptor bars, is essentially a taco that bolts through a crossmember using four unsleeved bolts, with no frame rail tie-in reinforcement.

Receiver mount winch pulls are always cantilevered more than traditionally mounted by their plug-in nature, so stronger is better when it comes to a hitch receiver for multimount winching.

I personally wouldn't even put a hitch D-ring on my hitch for recovery, I'd use the recovery loops that are tied to the frame rail directly.
Agreed for sure! The great thing about the APG plate, is that it bolts in at the hitch, on each side of the frame rails with giant bolts, and then with a few small bolts across the crossmember above the rear axle. The only thing I think would be great is if there were sleeves that went through the frame with a slightly smaller bolt. Felt like I was squishing the frame just a little bit which I didn't like.

OP
OP
SierraBronco

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Absolutely I agree. Had a guy talking shit about the frame mounted recovery points I installed. His beef was that they bolted in. Then he goes on to say he uses a recovery hitch that slides into the receiver. Dude has clearly never seen how pathetic that crossmember is šŸ˜‚

But as was already mentioned, this uses two of the receiver bolts, then two ridiculously large bolts on the side that goes through the actual frame, then three more pretty small bolts for the next crossmember. Perhaps Iā€™ll find out the hard way but between all that Iā€™m thinking the plate or bolts holding the winch on will fail first.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SierraBronco

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Nice job.
I almost hate to say it, but 3 pulleys will yield a reverse pull šŸ¤ 
Didnā€™t see the second part šŸ˜‚

You assume youā€™ll have enough anchor points and line to hook up three pulleys!

But yes, you are correct. Or you could just install another winch. šŸ˜‰

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Didnā€™t see the second part šŸ˜‚

You assume youā€™ll have enough anchor points and line to hook up three pulleys!

But yes, you are correct. Or you could just install another winch. šŸ˜‰
I bring my own anchors ;)

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What do you use?
Typically, you only need 2 anchors.
1 for the redirect & 1 for the rear. 3rd pully attached at rear of the vehicle then routed back to rear anchor.
I carry a Deadman which is light weight & very versatile. Although it can be a lot of work & not preferred, the spare tire can also be used in a pinch šŸ¤  .

OP
OP
SierraBronco

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Typically, you only need 2 anchors.
1 for the redirect & 1 for the rear. 3rd pully attached at rear of the vehicle then routed back to rear anchor.
I carry a Deadman which is light weight & very versatile. Although it can be a lot of work & not preferred, the spare tire can also be used in a pinch šŸ¤  .
Nice. I was more curious as to the actual device though. There are a few out there but I donā€™t have experience with any of them. Most of my recovery experience is with semitrucks, winches, and really big kinetic ropes. No matter how many times I see it I never get bored watching a 2ā€ rope shrink before popping a truck out.
Sponsored