Sponsored

Manny tranny owners, would you do it again?

HighVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Scrambler, Ferrari 458
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just to clarify, the grinding I've had is more me being overly sensitive. I've seen some of the vids posted and it's nowhere near as bad. The thing I like the most is it drives like a 4x4 with the stick response of a decent sporty car.
Mine sounds like a muffled VW diesel until it warms up.

OP
OP
emkayw

emkayw

Base
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Mine sounds like a muffled VW diesel until it warms up.
Mine sometimes sounds like an old tractor starting up when cold. I'm talking cali cold. I'm from the midwest, I would definitely be worried If I walked out one morning back there and hear what I've heard on some of the videos.

EVH1994

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I love my Bronco and the manual is the main reason I have one.

That being said, my transmission grind is so bad now. It does it in any temperature outside no matter how long the engine has been running. I really hope they have a fix before my power train warranty ends because I don’t have much faith in it long term.

Sponsored

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Manual trans was a big part of my decision. And I do prefer it. That said it is the lest fun manual trans I have ever drove. It took me a while to figure out why. It just felt like I couldn't make smooth shifts which was odd cause I never had that problem and I've driven manual trans fo 40 years. I also seemed to be inhibited somehow if I tried to accelerate fast running the the gears. What I figured out is that the throttle control algorithm gets in the way.

The throttle algorithm has a function that ramps up the throttle with time so even if you mash the gas pedal it doesn't immediately go to full throttle but ramps it up over a second. That is fine when you are actually accelerating cause engine RPM can't ramp up without the vehicle moving faster and there is an optimum throttle level. Also it gives one better control when making throttle changes where you need precise control like off roading whee you don't want the car to suddenly leap forward.

For everyday driving with the manual trans it really messes the operation because there are throttle changes under no load during shifts that you want to be able to do quickly. But with the algorithm, as you let off the throttle when pushing in the clutch, it much more quickly drops to a lower RPM. Then when you try and match RPM for the new gear there is that delay. Even if you let it off just enough to get the perfect match for the new gear, when you press down to accelerate there is the delay again.

Whatever that delay is, it gets in the way and with multiple shifts does slow down accelerating thru the gears. My other bronco has an automatic trans (both same engine) and since the car is doing the shifting ,it makes the adjustments precisely and clearly accelerates better. I am not saying that using a manual I could shift faster than the automatic, but with the setup I definitely feel like it trips me up.

I have seen people talk about a device that helps the throttle response. I haven't investigated it but I suspect it would help what I experience.

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Manual trans was a big part of my decision. And I do prefer it. That said it is the lest fun manual trans I have ever drove. It took me a while to figure out why. It just felt like I couldn't make smooth shifts which was odd cause I never had that problem and I've driven manual trans fo 40 years. I also seemed to be inhibited somehow if I tried to accelerate fast running the the gears. What I figured out is that the throttle control algorithm gets in the way.

The throttle algorithm has a function that ramps up the throttle with time so even if you mash the gas pedal it doesn't immediately go to full throttle but ramps it up over a second. That is fine when you are actually accelerating cause engine RPM can't ramp up without the vehicle moving faster and there is an optimum throttle level. Also it gives one better control when making throttle changes where you need precise control like off roading whee you don't want the car to suddenly leap forward.

For everyday driving with the manual trans it really messes the operation because there are throttle changes under no load during shifts that you want to be able to do quickly. But with the algorithm, as you let off the throttle when pushing in the clutch, it much more quickly drops to a lower RPM. Then when you try and match RPM for the new gear there is that delay. Even if you let it off just enough to get the perfect match for the new gear, when you press down to accelerate there is the delay again.

Whatever that delay is, it gets in the way and with multiple shifts does slow down accelerating thru the gears. My other bronco has an automatic trans (both same engine) and since the car is doing the shifting ,it makes the adjustments precisely and clearly accelerates better. I am not saying that using a manual I could shift faster than the automatic, but with the setup I definitely feel like it trips me up.

I have seen people talk about a device that helps the throttle response. I haven't investigated it but I suspect it would help what I experience.
Interesting. I don't remember mine being a problem at all. Of course now I've been driving it so long with the ProCal I could never go back. Between the better throttle/engine response and the auto rev-matching it's the best manual I've ever had.

Mikk

Big Bend
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My 2023 Bronco had the cold chatter from new, it was doing it even when I picked it up brand new in Feb 2023. They rebuilt the transmission at 7,000km, no noise since then (now at 20K). Regardless of that issue, I love the manual and wouldn't want it any other way!

jbellousux

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘13 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No problems. 16K miles.

Crawler gear rocks, just wish I had more opportunity to use it. Had a blast with it in Telluride (Imogene Pass) and Canyonlands (Elephant Hill Road).

JawnyBronco

Heritage
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

As a Jul ‘20 reservation holder had my hopes for a Manual 4dr BaseSquatch which was not available so for my first actual order I settled for the Manual 4dr Heritage…

Sponsored

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Traded mine in on a Raptor. That was the only way it was going to leave me.

Driving a stick is its own kind of fun and hard to replace.

Sitruc_btb

Badlands
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Absolutely. 110% would get another manual. To me, it's perfect. Ergonomics, clutch feel. Couldn't imagine driving a slushbox after this.

YOLO

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
100% would not own a Bronco if it wasn't for the manual transmission. I'm sure the automatics are fine, but the manual tranny is what got me interested enough to seriously consider a Bronco in the first place. I just don't think I would've looked twice if they were auto only.

Now that i have one, I can say that I have no regrets and have experienced zero issues with mine. It's a total blast to drive and IMO really sells the old school feel of the vehicle.

FordFamily4Fun

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'10 Escape, '16 Explorer, '22 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just got mine used with 10K on it this past fall. Noticed a bit of the engine noise on start-up this winter. Will take it in next winter under warranty to see what they will do. I find first gear to have a quite short throw/shift point to second. Otherwise love the feel of driving the 7MT. To me a better driving experience in regards to feel for the road/beach - connection to the vehicle. I also feel I am a more attentive driver with a stick. Also nice to have an auto Explorer if I know I will hit a lot of stop and go on busier highways where I know it creeps and I have no other choice.

OP
OP
emkayw

emkayw

Base
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ok so it's not just me that feels this way. It gets annoying at times!
Sponsored