Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Good afternoon,

I noticed recently that my timing cover appears to have a slow leak. I cleaned it up my first oil change, and it's definitely leaking. From what I can find, this appears to be relatively common. But I'm concerned about if it's worth taking it into the dealer. I believe they have to reset timing when taking the cover off? I read about someone's engine grenading because a tech didn't set the timing properly after fixing the timing cover seal.

Granted my Bronco is still under warranty, I'm just not a huge fan of dealerships.

Ford Bronco Leaky timing cover 2.3l 20231213_094159
Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This is very common on for most Ford 4 cylinders. But personally I would just wait until you're closer to being out of powertrain warranty. They likely wouldn't warranty that small of a seep at this point anyway because Ford considers a warrantable leak something that is actually dripping.

The crankshaft pulley and timing chain sprocket aren't keyed to the crankshaft, so if it's installed incorrectly then it can cause issues, but it's extremely rare for it to be so far off that it would blow up. As long as they use the correct tools to hold the crankshaft where it should be while installing the pulley it's a very easy repair.

OP
OP
HulkBronc88

HulkBronc88

Big Bend
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This is very common on for most Ford 4 cylinders. But personally I would just wait until you're closer to being out of powertrain warranty. They likely wouldn't warranty that small of a seep at this point anyway because Ford considers a warrantable leak something that is actually dripping.

The crankshaft pulley and timing chain sprocket aren't keyed to the crankshaft, so if it's installed incorrectly then it can cause issues, but it's extremely rare for it to be so far off that it would blow up. As long as they use the correct tools to hold the crankshaft where it should be while installing the pulley it's a very easy repair.
Thanks, that's a good idea to just wait. I know its not a priority repair like cam phasers on the 2.7l etc. I'll just clean it up from time to time until it gets bad.

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I did this repair on mine just before warranty was up,is a very common repair i've done on the 4 and 6cylinder engines (silicon sealant doesn't seem to like extremes in temperature that we get in frozenland)

OP
OP
HulkBronc88

HulkBronc88

Big Bend
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I did this repair on mine just before warranty was up,is a very common repair i've done on the 4 and 6cylinder engines (silicon sealant doesn't seem to like extremes in temperature that we get in frozenland)
Oh the fires of hell here in Florida haha 😄

Sponsored

Mustbeheresomewhere

Badlands
First Name
Micah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Chevrolet Silverado, 2022 Bronco Badlands 4D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I noticed that mine has a slow leak at the timing cover as well. Same spot, near the alternator pulley.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just noticed it on my 2021 2.3 the other day as well... yay.

I can think of worse things ... just had the windshield replaced on the 23 Badlands yesterday.
Hooray! for $0 deductible glass coverage.

OP
OP
HulkBronc88

HulkBronc88

Big Bend
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Just noticed it on my 2021 2.3 the other day as well... yay.

I can think of worse things ... just had the windshield replaced on the 23 Badlands yesterday.
Hooray! for $0 deductible glass coverage.
I am having my windshield replaced on Tuesday as well. Second replacement in under a year. Lordy...
Sponsored