Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've had good luck with Irish Spring soap where I live. It's mostly voles and ground squirrels. I just cut it into chunks and stick it in anywhere I can get it to stick in the engine compartment. My truck smells fabulous on a hot day.

Where I lived at before this (which wasn't that far), it didn't do a damn thing and I used Tomcat bait/poison bricks. It didn't keep them away, but they wouldn't come eat it twice.
Sponsored

Sitruc_btb

Badlands
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Funny enough, capsaicin is considered a deterrent. I thought they had talked about formulating the wire insulation to include this but maybe not. There is capsaicin laced wire wrap tape available on the market ... sounds like a pita to retrofit.
That's a good idea.
Funny enough, capsaicin is considered a deterrent. I thought they had talked about formulating the wire insulation to include this but maybe not. There is capsaicin laced wire wrap tape available on the market ... sounds like a pita to retrofit.
Some old timers in the shop say factories use peanut oil to aid in running wires through the looms, adding to the delicious flavors.
Capsaicin laced wires.
New warning in vehicle schematics:
Wires hot at all times.

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was at an RV show. Someone told me they put UV underbody light strips under their RV to keep rats away. I have no idea if it would work or not. Just throwing it out there.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

These Victor M205 large spring hammer traps work really great for killing all kinds of rodents including squirrels. Bigger than usual mouse trap. Heavy gauge spring and copper hammer hits hard - breaks their neck or back. For bait I use white-grape raisins. Killed dozens. For larger animals like raccoons it gives em pretty good smack in the nose and might bust up their paws

Victor M205.jpg
Trying to figure out how I mount that in the engine compartment

OP
OP
PHAZFREQ

PHAZFREQ

Base
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco 2-Door, Base, Manual, EruptionG
Your Bronco Model
Base
My daughter purchased a new Forerunner back in 2019. Two days later it had to be towed out of her garage and it was rodent damage. $750 repair bill that they attributed to an act of God. She didn't have time to do any preventive measures and had no idea about soy based insulation prior to that. If they are going to use bait as insulation they need to disclose that fact and make you aware of it.
Totally agree! Manufacturers at the very least should provide clear communication by way of buyer education within the dealership - a one pager on the risk and tips for preventative measures.

There is no mention, even the slightest in the owners manual - 2023 Ford Bronco Owner Manuals or any other documentation provided by FORD.

This would be an awareness campaign I bet most would back!

Sponsored

brkdncr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Rats and mice don’t care about ultra sonic deterrents. It might bother them once or twice but an engine compartment is a good place to call home.

the soap trick doesn’t seem to work either. I’m not sure where that came from. I’ve heard over and over that mice have eaten it.

besides storing the vehicle in a garage that is sealed well enough to keep rodents out, what seems to work out here is keeping your hood open. I suspect this openness is exactly what they don’t want.

rblume73

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco, 07 F150, 73 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford has been using Soy based plastics since the Model-T days. Henry Ford was so fascinated with it he heavily invested money into farms and built a soybean plant to build plastic parts paints. He even had a car prototype that was made completely with soy bean plastic(excluding the frame) right before the war.
Ford Bronco Keeping Rodents away from the wiring - Educate yourself 1714058963030-qe

Seven16

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 Big Bend, ‘20 mustang GT, MT-82
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Moth balls worked like a charm for me, a few years back the critters chewed the #1 & #2 coil pack wires on the fusion that I had. Once I put the moth balls under the hood they stayed away

wilbersk

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Sounds like we need an invention of some sort

gtabert

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 gt350r / '65 f100 / '99 Silverado / '15 VW TDI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

Glade Runner

Everglades
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

I have seen a bunch of posts rallying for action against car manufacturers for going SOY based wiring. Please do your research first and understand what you need to do as a car owner as part of up keep to the vehicle. I rather car manufacturers move away from petroleum based wiring for sustainability.
I prefer manufacturers go back to petroleum based wiring as it is completely sustainable.

Firewrench

Base
First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Basesquatch, F-350, Slingshot, H-D TriGlide
Your Bronco Model
Base
Wife uses cotton balls soaked with peppermint oil in the basement compartments in our RV, no rodent damage yet in 3 years of this coach and 7 with previous coach. Also a few motion sensor lights underneath. As for her beloved Bronco, the garage is pretty well sealed up, I built it 20 years ago and have never seen any evidence of rodents. But I think I will take some preventive measures anyway.
Thanks to OP for the gentle reminder!

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Get yourself a 4x4 or 6x6 live trap and put in a few peanuts. Then perform community service by teaching them to swim in a 5 gallon bucket.

ps: I stink as a swimming instructor but my wiring is still in good shape. 🤷‍♂️

Ford Bronco Keeping Rodents away from the wiring - Educate yourself IMG_1044

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I also keep one of these in the garage during the winter months.

Ford Bronco Keeping Rodents away from the wiring - Educate yourself IMG_3203

MBLANCHARD

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Moth balls worked like a charm for me, a few years back the critters chewed the #1 & #2 coil pack wires on the fusion that I had. Once I put the moth balls under the hood they stayed away
unfortunately, moth balls did not work for me and I couldn’t stand the smell. Also tried peppermint spray, did not work. Currently using the electronic device and it worked for awhile, but then started to see traces on the other side of the engine.
Moved the electronic devise to the other side and so far, so good.
Sponsored