Sponsored

In LOVE with the Bronco! Want to leave car...

OP
OP

ASS_FIN_DIR

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm asking the peanut gallery in terms of operating costs. Like fuel consumption, how well the vehicle rides. Are the seats comfortable. Not solely a monetary inquiry, but an informational one too.
Sponsored

jrollo7

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hello All,

I highly desire a Bronco. Either a BD or OXB trim. I currently own a 2022 Honda Civic. The seats are very uncomfortable after my long commute to and from work. 38 miles and 1 hour commute time. And this car sits so damn low!

I live in the midwest, and the winters are brutal. The Civic slides all over. The only thing this car has going for itself is the mpg. I'm averaging 30 to 32 mpg.

I am 40 years old, Male. I never about anything nice or cool for myself. Man I would love a Bronco especially for the winter.

Would it be idiotic to let the Civic go and get me a Bronco?

Thank you!
get the BD-now and bye bye to the Civic

jrollo7

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm asking the peanut gallery in terms of operating costs. Like fuel consumption, how well the vehicle rides. Are the seats comfortable. Not solely a monetary inquiry, but an informational one too.
The BD mgv seats are the best-comfortable look great and easy maintenance. My 2.7L gets up to 20mpg in ECO mode. The ride is comfortable and you sit high off the road like a king. A trade in saves you about $2k in sales tax and is hopefully not offset with a low ball offer on your Civic.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If you get one, plan on 5k oil changes (if you want to keep it a long time). The engine will reward you with reliability for frequent oil changes with high quality synthetic oil.

jrollo7

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A month after I turned 40, I got a black diamond. Arguably one of my most favorite vehicles Iā€™ve owned so far.

That being said, while deals can be negotiated in your favor, negative equity is a hard nope for new car deals for me. Iā€™ll be damned if Iā€™m knowingly gonna pay someone $5K extra to take my old car just because I want to buy a newer one. But Iā€™m not your accountant or in your pockets. So, if you can financially swing it, go for it. Life is short. Drive something fun while youā€™re living.
Definitely, because itā€™s much more difficult to drive something fun when youā€™re āš°šŸ’€

Sponsored

jrollo7

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thank you all for your reply. Carmax is offering me 24k for the Civic. I would have negative equity of 5k. And Honda provided me with a handsome apr of 4.9, when I financed the vehicle.
You can get 5.4% with Navy Federal with a very good credit rating (~780-815)

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It will definitely be more expensive to maintain and use than your Civic. That's almost a laughable question... However, since you've not had a vehicle like this I assume, probably makes sense to ask.

Worse gas mileage, more expensive tires that typically don't last as long as passenger tires, more wear parts, more sophisticated axles, more expensive insurance (you should also insure your upgrades, which will drive up the cost of insurance more). If you take it off road, repairs will eventually be needed. You'll be washing it more frequently (most likely). It's a Ford, so it's not as well built. It drinks gas (relatively...) and probably has a similar sized gas tank, so expect more fill ups. Insure the windshield cuz thyre be cracks ahead. Oh yeah, insure for more damage in an accident; they are heavy and will do more damage if you hit an expensive car.

However, having driven a 2003 Civic for about year in the past (it was only a couple years old then), the Bronco is hands down more fun. The tradeoffs are it's simply more capable, higher up, cooler to be seen in, you won't worry about a lot of stuff. I can't talk about ice performance (I live in Texas, the idiots drive on ice around here so I try not to).

I'm 6'3" and a big guy, I fit fine in it. No power seats w/memory, so if you share a car with a differently sized person, it can be hard to get the seats into the right position once changed. That annoys some people. Most people who have issues with the seat fitment use seat jackers for more leg support, that seems to help a lot. I drove 1300 miles to NM/CO recently and it was never uncomfortable for me.

A Civic is a responsible car. A Bronco is a fun machine. Take your pick, downsides be damned.

Last edited:

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I got 5600 more at carmax than the dealer. It's well worth shopping it around.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I came from a VW GTi ... a Bronco in comparison drives/rides/handles/drinks gas like a truck! We're not in the early days any longer ... go test drive one, plenty on the lots now.

Good luck!

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I came from a VW GTi ... a Bronco in comparison drives/rides/handles/drinks gas like a truck! We're not in the early days any longer ... go test drive one, plenty on the lots now.

Good luck!
All this
Only you can decide if it's a fit for you.

Sponsored

Roc_Cero8

Wildtrak
First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I say go for it! ā€¦ I had a Toyota Camry that was swapped out for my Bronco. Best decision I have made. Although the Camry was efficient it was not fun to drive and was very limited on what I could do with it. The Bronco on the other hand is a lot more fun to drive, draws plenty of attention, and just feels right.... plus the addition of being able to go on all types of adventures is also a plus.

Wark

Base
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Fuel consumption - I get 22 mpg average with my '22 2.3L base with a mix of city/hwy driving. 24 mpg tops for highway. I'll be putting on bigger tires soon and it will likely drop some.

The seating style is close to bench seating-- i.e. feet on the ground and not forward. I had a hard time with my Camry seats before being uncomfortable for any longer distance -- the seats were not comfortable. The bronco seats are comfortable for me. The suspension is truck-like. As in, it dampens out the huge bumps or potholes well, but is relatively stiff over small bumps like expansion joints, but not enough to be bothersome.

The bronco even with newer base tires (HTs) killed it in the snow.

Coming from a boring car to the Bronco was a great life decision. I look forward to commuting home, especially with the top down. Instead of rushing to get home, you enjoy the journey more. I look forward to snow days, especially early morning when the plows haven't been out.

That said, I wasn't a fan of some 9 hour drives I've had for work due to noise. My limit with the (aftermarket) soft top is 55 mph and hard top is 72 mph for road noise (with 15 mph steady winds). A 6 hour trip on 81 southbound with the aftermarket soft top was terrible.

Cheers and good luck with your decision.

WarthogJr

Black Diamond
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Iā€™m curious, are you an Associate Finance Director or an ass finder? Makes a big difference in what you should be driving.

Hey Buddy

Base
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Base Model 2-Door 2.3L 7-Speed
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I bought a 2021 VW Golf in order to have a car while I waited 16 months for my Bronco. I traded it in on my Bronco & have never been happier! I lost about 15-20 mpg with my Bronco, but I DO NOT CARE!! My Bronco drives great & Goes Over All Terrain / pot holes, curbs, speed bumps etc.
Do what you feel is best, but for me: Life is short & Broncos are cool! šŸ˜‰

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ā€˜24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hello All,

I highly desire a Bronco. Either a BD or OXB trim. I currently own a 2022 Honda Civic. The seats are very uncomfortable after my long commute to and from work. 38 miles and 1 hour commute time. And this car sits so damn low!

I live in the midwest, and the winters are brutal. The Civic slides all over. The only thing this car has going for itself is the mpg. I'm averaging 30 to 32 mpg.

I am 40 years old, Male. I never about anything nice or cool for myself. Man I would love a Bronco especially for the winter.

Would it be idiotic to let the Civic go and get me a Bronco?

Thank you!
You are asking a Bronco forum if you should purchase a Bronco...

What answer did you expect? Are you looking for confirmation?
Sponsored