Sponsored

In LOVE with the Bronco! Want to leave car...

ASS_FIN_DIR

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hello All,

I highly desire a Bronco. Either a BD or OXB trim. I currently own a 2022 Honda Civic. The seats are very uncomfortable after my long commute to and from work. 38 miles and 1 hour commute time. And this car sits so damn low!

I live in the midwest, and the winters are brutal. The Civic slides all over. The only thing this car has going for itself is the mpg. I'm averaging 30 to 32 mpg.

I am 40 years old, Male. I never about anything nice or cool for myself. Man I would love a Bronco especially for the winter.

Would it be idiotic to let the Civic go and get me a Bronco?

Thank you!
Sponsored

4wardMotion

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
If you can comfortably afford it, I say go for it. Being a car guy most of my life, my wife's moardoor squatch rides perfectly fine. I see no problem driving 3+ hours in it. The mileage isn't great, but being a car person, if you can afford it, I don't sweat MPG.

Before we bought her Bronco, we spent a whole Saturday driving Jeeps and Broncos, and the Bronco was drastically a better road car. That to say, if your commute is what's got you questioning this, if you have the least bit of tolerance, you'll be fine.

TX-Dennis

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hey, financially it might not be the smartest thing you ever did, especially with that commute. You'll be spending about 50% more on gas in addition to the higher cost of the truck itself.

But, this IS a Bronco forum, and nobody here is going to tell you not to do it as long as you won't be putting yourself into a bind financially. I have a similar commute every day, and I bought a Bronco despite the gas mileage.

The Bronco is comfortable during the commute, but it can be noisy at highway speed - especially on windy days

Sponsored
OP
OP

ASS_FIN_DIR

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hey, financially it might not be the smartest thing you ever did, especially with that commute. You'll be spending about 50% more on gas in addition to the higher cost of the truck itself.

But, this IS a Bronco forum, and nobody here is going to tell you not to do it as long as you won't be putting yourself into a bind financially. I have a similar commute every day, and I bought a Bronco despite the gas mileage.

The Bronco is comfortable during the commute, but it can be noisy at highway speed - especially on windy days
Thank you all for your reply. Carmax is offering me 24k for the Civic. I would have negative equity of 5k. And Honda provided me with a handsome apr of 4.9, when I financed the vehicle.

mattymik

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Odyssey, 2023 WildTrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I would get the Bronco.

As a 38-YO man when I brought my first Bronco 2 years ago, I also had never owned a special car or one that I even cared much about.

But wow -- I absolutely love the Bronco. In fact, I love it so much that I actually upgraded a year later to a WildTrak because I had compromised on too many things with my first order for the sake of just getting it at all (this was when they had myriad production delays/constraints). And this now is a truck I'll keep for a long, long, long time.

Thus, as a wise 40-YO man, I would absolutely encourage you to get one.

But also, make sure you at least get the upgraded gearing and lockers. You'll probably get the bug and decide you want to upgrade tires, wheels, suspension, etc. later on.

Oh, one last thing: you're wrong about wanting it "especially for the winter;" you want this Bronco especially for the Summer.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
57 years old, 95k miles on my 2021 Bronco, the seats are extremely comfortable and I have no problem doing 12 hours in the OBX cloth heated seats. Absolutely love driving the Bronco anywhere, in any weather, at any time.

Sponsored

BulldogBear

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2000 Mercedes-Benz G500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hello All,

I highly desire a Bronco. Either a BD or OXB trim. I currently own a 2022 Honda Civic. The seats are very uncomfortable after my long commute to and from work. 38 miles and 1 hour commute time. And this car sits so damn low!

I live in the midwest, and the winters are brutal. The Civic slides all over. The only thing this car has going for itself is the mpg. I'm averaging 30 to 32 mpg.

I am 40 years old, Male. I never about anything nice or cool for myself. Man I would love a Bronco especially for the winter.

Would it be idiotic to let the Civic go and get me a Bronco?

Thank you!
Factor in costs of a lot more fuel, higher annual registration, higher insurance, etc to see if it's worth it/you can afford it.

hemiblas

Base
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 base SAS Bronco, 2018 Rubi JL and JLU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Biggest issue is going to be the fuel. I love my Bronco, but they just don't get good mileage when compared to a civic. It will be a big weekly wake up call. If you compared it with an older jk jeep or a Ram truck then yes, they get great mileage. Plus what bulldogbear said. It's not just the gas. You gotta really want one...

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Just recognize that the wind noise will be significantly higher. The seats are not comfortable. There’s no climate control vents to the back seats. The roof leaking water is common. Oil changes, insurance, tires, etcetera are all likely going to be significantly higher, and as already mentioned you’ll be burning through a lot of fuel on that commute.

If you’re set on an SUV for commuting there are certainly better options based on the information you have provided on it’s primary use. Including the Bronco Sport.

patientB

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do it, you'll figure out the money elsewhere in your life. It's not a significant differential we're talking about here. You're 40, you've been depriving yourself, live a little.

Cheaper by far than hookers and a drug habit.

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well the advice above me is all saying go for it, which I would also echo but I think you deserve some dissenting advice as well.

I found getting around in the Midwest (read: Chicagoland for 3 years) to be a pretty dismal affair. In fact the weather is why i got the hell out of there. If you don't absolutely have plans to go off-roading, camping/overlanding, or don't ever really intend to remove the top you might do better looking into a crossover. With a Bronco and similar a Wrangler you are paying for some extremely capability at the expense of comfort/niceties.

Something with remote start, heated seats, a really quiet cabin for that 1 hour commute (all Broncos are loud, even hard tops). Go test drive a Honda Passport and a Bronco back to back, and report back to us. That is my advice. If I had a do-over right meow I'd probably lean more towards a pickup.
Sponsored