Sponsored

Carrying extra tie rod -- are right and left sides interchangeable?

HowieLong

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Heading to Silverton next week so I bought a Chinese set of tie rod braces that can be used to patch a broken tie rod back together to limp off the trail. Looks like the tie rod almost always breaks right behind the jam nut.
[/QUOTE
I don't have any tie rod braces but I believe they fit tight enough to require the tie rod to be straight. I believe most broken tie rods will be bent when they brake. Also, if it breaks near the jam nut, will there be enough rod on both ends to attach the brace?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Fordified1

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ā€˜69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The tie rods are pretty hard and therefore somewhat brittle and I believe they usually snap off pretty cleanly. Iā€™m not saying a brace will always patch one together but definitely sometimes as I watched Mattā€™s offroad recovery use one to get a Bronco off the trail. I looked at BronBraces, but wasnā€™t willing to spend $300 for what I wanted one for. Spent $75 on a knockoff.
IMG_0963.jpeg

Poppavein

Black Diamond
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harleys, Ducatis, 2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Isnā€™t breaking tie rods more of a problem with inappropriate use of a front locker?

Built2Wild

Badlands
First Name
Rance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The tie rods are pretty hard and therefore somewhat brittle and I believe they usually snap off pretty cleanly. Iā€™m not saying a brace will always patch one together but definitely sometimes as I watched Mattā€™s offroad recovery use one to get a Bronco off the trail. I looked at BronBraces, but wasnā€™t willing to spend $300 for what I wanted one for. Spent $75 on a knockoff.
Ford Bronco Carrying extra tie rod -- are right and left sides interchangeable? IMG_0963
Where did you find the $75 knockoffs, I want to check those out.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Fordified1

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OP
OP
Fordified1

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Isnā€™t breaking tie rods more of a problem with inappropriate use of a front locker?
Usually happens in good traction areas in rocks for varying reasons. Slip off the side of a ledge and hit a rock sideways. Steep rocks and wheel hop while spinning. Bigger tires equals more traction leverage and stress. Lift and articulation puts tie rods at stressful angles.

Kevin Scarbel

Everglades
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Everglades 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
And if youā€™re planning on swapping the tierod if necessary, you probably donā€™t need this advice but just in case-donā€™t forget some extra hose clamps. The factory clamps canā€™t be reused after removal. If the new rack comes with replacement factory boots and clamps just use a hose clamp instead of the factory clamps. Thereā€™s probably a trick to it but I couldnā€™t get them acceptably tight and just threw my spare clamps on anyway.
Because it would make too much sense if Ford specā€™d reusable clamps from the supplier.

OP
OP
Fordified1

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Because it would make too much sense if Ford specā€™d reusable clamps from the supplier.
Iā€™ve never seen a cv boot clamp thatā€™s reusable from any manufacturer. ATVā€™s included.

Sponsored

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It certainly doesnā€™t help! And most people arenā€™t familiar with the concept of fatigue, where they weaken the tierod with incorrect use then break it on something simple. Lifts and big heavy tires donā€™t help them šŸ˜¬

OP
OP
Fordified1

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

From my understanding yes and stressing the steering rack with lifting the Bronco pass 3 inches along with 37s.
Well itā€™s impossible for me to misuse my front locker since I donā€™t have one lol. Thatā€™s part of why I ditched the front sway bar. To attempt to keep both front tires on the ground. Do have a rear locker and 4.46 gears.

OP
OP
Fordified1

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

BroncoNapped

Base
First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S10
Your Bronco Model
Base
I bought a tie rod kit that's got everything you will need a while back from TD distributing...
@Tricky Mike

ohp138

Outer Banks
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So, to be clear - the HOSS 1.0 and 2.0 "inner tie rods" are not interchangeable with the HOSS 3.0 inner rods? If yes, does anyone have a line on cheap inner rods for the HOSS 3.0? TIA
Sponsored