Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wish one of your customers will come out and say it worked on their non sas lol. Ford just had to make this difficult
The rack programming that everyone is talking about is inside the rack; it's not part of your Bronco's main computer. Everyone that's gotten the upgrade has most likely borrowed a WildTrak's VIN for the programming install. This is the FDRS part. Because of this, it doesn't need to be plugged into the Bronco it's going on. I have a 74W billet rack that was programmed against a 22 WT.

Given that, I think there are two potential issues:

1. The programming is either off enough it causes issues, or
2. the rack itself doesn't fit correctly.

I think #1 is unlikely. The unknown I think is whether it uses different parameters or tables for Sas/Non-Sas. I think it's unlikely, but it's not like I know.

#2 I think is also unlikely. There were two different racks early on, but that's not been an issue in the year I've been following this. It has more, not less, horsepower, so it's not like it's underpowered.

Given that then, I suggest getting it installed and drive it out into the parking lot and do some checking. I would imagine doing the flex testing like you'd gotten new tires, that would tell you want you need to know.

Somebody had to be first, at some point. It's never come up before somehow, so while I think it's probably fine (or someone would've setup a 6g account to tell us...), you can also do it and let us know if you have any issues.
Sponsored

Blueberry OJ

Big Bend
First Name
Giancarlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco big bend 4D Non-sas, 2016 F150 3.5l EB
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So are you talking specifically non-sasquatch Badlands 4 doors, or just non-sasquatch 4 doors?

I have programmed plenty of racks for non-sasquatch 4 doors. That has never been an issue.

If you want to know if I have done one for an anti-matter blue 4 door 2.3 non-sasquatch 4 door black diamond model with an LED light upgrade, mid-package, advanced 4x4, and the tow package with leather seats, I don't know because it never mattered.
Generally non SAS 4 doors. The ones FP says aren't compatible with their severe steering rack: "2021-2023 bronco 4Dr base, big bend, OBx, BD, & BL that do NOT have the factory sasquatch package."

Blueberry OJ

Big Bend
First Name
Giancarlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco big bend 4D Non-sas, 2016 F150 3.5l EB
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The rack programming that everyone is talking about is inside the rack; it's not part of your Bronco's main computer. Everyone that's gotten the upgrade has most likely borrowed a WildTrak's VIN for the programming install. This is the FDRS part. Because of this, it doesn't need to be plugged into the Bronco it's going on. I have a 74W billet rack that was programmed against a 22 WT.

Given that, I think there are two potential issues:

1. The programming is either off enough it causes issues, or
2. the rack itself doesn't fit correctly.

I think #1 is unlikely. The unknown I think is whether it uses different parameters or tables for Sas/Non-Sas. I think it's unlikely, but it's not like I know.

#2 I think is also unlikely. There were two different racks early on, but that's not been an issue in the year I've been following this. It has more, not less, horsepower, so it's not like it's underpowered.

Given that then, I suggest getting it installed and drive it out into the parking lot and do some checking. I would imagine doing the flex testing like you'd gotten new tires, that would tell you want you need to know.

Somebody had to be first, at some point. It's never come up before somehow, so while I think it's probably fine (or someone would've setup a 6g account to tell us...), you can also do it and let us know if you have any issues.
The tie rods from FP look shorter from the thread closer to the joint. Maybe that's why

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Generally non SAS 4 doors. The ones FP says aren't compatible with their severe steering rack: "2021-2023 bronco 4Dr base, big bend, OBx, BD, & BL that do NOT have the factory sasquatch package."
Upfront forward of the dash, there is no difference between the 4 door and the 2 door Bronco that I am aware of that would make this an issue. Non-sasquatch Broncos do have shorter CV axles, but that's related to the M190 vs M210, and nothing else.

I guess that you will either have to FAFO or keep running the old rack.

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wish one of your customers will come out and say it worked on their non sas lol. Ford just had to make this difficult
I really don't think this is as specifc as you're making it out to be...

The rack has firmware, just like a microwave oven or a computer mouse... When you get a new steering rack, through FPP or regular Ford parts inventory, That Firmware is Blank...

The process you need to accomplish is getting the firmware into the rack, Once it's in there, the Bronco doesn't care what the firmware version is...

If you hook up a mouse to a computer, the computer doesn't care if it's a Dell or HP Mouse, it just cares if the mouse is being moved left or right... The Bronco doesn't care what Rack you have, it just cares which way the wheels are pointed.

I have a Badlands, Non-Squatch, 4 door, 2.3l Manual.... I programmed the rack using the same method @mpeugeot uses, it works fine.

The reason the FPP Programmer can't do this is only because FPP has an obligation to put the exact same values back in all the modules to match the Bronco geometry that it started with. Why they aren't using the Ford "as built" data for each Bronco? I don't know. They use a table within the Procal (firmware), that is model based, and downloaded from the Ford along with the rack firmware as far as I can guess.

The process using FDRS doesn't change those values, so when all is said and done, the values in the Bronco will be the same as before the rack was programmed, unless something else has been done to change those values.

Many things that people do to their Broncos change the relationship of those values to the Bronco's suspension. Lifts, Wheel Changes, Tire size, all change the calculated steering angle.

None of it is a big deal, unless you are selling hundreds of thousands of Broncos, and are worried about defending yourself in court when one Bronco driver plows into a crowd at a Cars & Coffee, and the lawyers start saying it's because the FPP ProCal allowed the Traction Control system to grip .0001 Milliseconds too soon.

As an individual who modifies his vehicle, you don't have quite that much legal burden, or pockets deep enough for lawyers to put a lot of research into prosecuting you. If you are deeply concerned about that .0001 Millisecond difference, then you shouldn't modify your vehicle at all mechanically.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I want to do this eventually, but I'm not in a terribly hurry. Is anyone maintaining a list of dealers and shops that will do these FPP solution installs?

gjptennis

Wildtrak
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Subaru Outback, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I want to do this eventually, but I'm not in a terribly hurry. Is anyone maintaining a list of dealers and shops that will do these FPP solution installs?
My dealer doesn’t help you as I live in MA but Imperial Ford did my install. They even discounted the labor rate a bit after it took them longer than anticipated on the install - my engine skid took a hit the week before and gave them some difficulty removing and reinstalling. Otherwise, all went as expected and there is a noticeable improvement with the new rack.

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The Ford engineer I have been dealing with on my procal (over 3 hours on the phone over two different days) is friends with the owner of Napa Ford and says they can do the install???

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I really don't think this is as specifc as you're making it out to be...

The rack has firmware, just like a microwave oven or a computer mouse... When you get a new steering rack, through FPP or regular Ford parts inventory, That Firmware is Blank...

The process you need to accomplish is getting the firmware into the rack, Once it's in there, the Bronco doesn't care what the firmware version is...

If you hook up a mouse to a computer, the computer doesn't care if it's a Dell or HP Mouse, it just cares if the mouse is being moved left or right... The Bronco doesn't care what Rack you have, it just cares which way the wheels are pointed.

I have a Badlands, Non-Squatch, 4 door, 2.3l Manual.... I programmed the rack using the same method @mpeugeot uses, it works fine.

The reason the FPP Programmer can't do this is only because FPP has an obligation to put the exact same values back in all the modules to match the Bronco geometry that it started with. Why they aren't using the Ford "as built" data for each Bronco? I don't know. They use a table within the Procal (firmware), that is model based, and downloaded from the Ford along with the rack firmware as far as I can guess.

The process using FDRS doesn't change those values, so when all is said and done, the values in the Bronco will be the same as before the rack was programmed, unless something else has been done to change those values.

Many things that people do to their Broncos change the relationship of those values to the Bronco's suspension. Lifts, Wheel Changes, Tire size, all change the calculated steering angle.

None of it is a big deal, unless you are selling hundreds of thousands of Broncos, and are worried about defending yourself in court when one Bronco driver plows into a crowd at a Cars & Coffee, and the lawyers start saying it's because the FPP ProCal allowed the Traction Control system to grip .0001 Milliseconds too soon.

As an individual who modifies his vehicle, you don't have quite that much legal burden, or pockets deep enough for lawyers to put a lot of research into prosecuting you. If you are deeply concerned about that .0001 Millisecond difference, then you shouldn't modify your vehicle at all mechanically.
I thought I had deep pockets but there were just big holes at the bottom! lol

bzercoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Has anyone done a recent install that already had the performance tune ProCal installed?

Wondering if that process has gotten any smoother. I’ve had the Ford Performance rack sitting in the box in the garage for a couple months waiting for the dust to settle in the process before attempting after running into issues with the ProCal rack voucher and update errors.

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Kach Vartan

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sedan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anybody have recommendations on where to purchase the steering rack? I see it’s about $1,100 (with 15% off coupon) plus tax on the Ford Performance website with dealer pickup. Anybody finding a better price?

Poppavein

Black Diamond
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Have you tried discount code SHOP524 for 20% off? It worked yesterday.

Lake Tahoe Traveler

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2dr BL SASQ, & 1975 Bronco Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Has anyone done a recent install that already had the performance tune ProCal installed?

Wondering if that process has gotten any smoother. I’ve had the Ford Performance rack sitting in the box in the garage for a couple months waiting for the dust to settle in the process before attempting after running into issues with the ProCal rack voucher and update errors.
I installed my new Hoss 3.0 Severe Duty Rack with ProCal4…

The critical part is the sequence of downloading …..

See Procedure I have written below.

If you get the programing installation out of sequence it is problematic….

I lucked out…. Right after I downloaded my Broncos OEM programming into the ProCal4 and sent it back to Ford Performance ….I ended up calling their number…. The guy walked me through and then said….. thank god I stopped you…. You now have to swap steering racks….

Before you download the new program for the new steering rack module….

He said most people get this sequence of events wrong….

It doesn’t help that this is NOT mentioned in the Procal4 (rack swap) instructions…..

Anyway…. After following his advice, it went flawless downloading the new software and zero problems with my installation….

Procedure: (see photo)
Ford Bronco BRONCO SEVERE DUTY STEERING UPGRADE KIT now available from Ford Performance Parts! ProCal 4 Severe Duty Racl Installation Procedure
Sponsored

Last edited: