Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@Aonarch
The hole that provides the longest distance to the torsion bar will develop the most leverage (least stiffness as function of length cubed). So that would be for off road use, greatest articulation with least resistance.

very curious how you like this setup on the road. A 0.85” bar is much softer than the 1.375” OEM bar. Torsional resistance is a function of bar diameter to the fourth power. Very strong function. The 0.85” bar should be about 6 times softer (very crude estimate). Much better for off roading but curious what you think on the road.
Thank you! Love the analysis.

I live in the North Georgia mountains so I will get a very quick picture of how it feels in corners..

Like your math suggests, I might move the links to the street biased hole, if there is too much roll.

I do have the rear sway bar, so that helps out a ton.
Sponsored

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yeah. I am looking at doing the same thing you have. The rear sway bar will help for sure on road and also push some articulation to front off road. I don’t have front locker so that helps a ton. My only hesitation is the on road feel. My daily is a 328 bmw so I may have some built in bias. Looking forward to your evaluation. Keep the posts coming, great info.

OP
OP
Aonarch

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yeah. I am looking at doing the same thing you have. The rear sway bar will help for sure on road and also push some articulation to front off road. I don’t have front locker so that helps a ton. My only hesitation is the on road feel. My daily is a 328 bmw so I may have some built in bias. Looking forward to your evaluation. Keep the posts coming, great info.
I'm a racer myself. I do not think I will ever go with a front locker now, just being realistic. So making sure I have maximum front articulation, like you said is crucial.

Ford Bronco Aonarch’s 2023 Bronco Build P_20230416_185121

Selling my TT this week. It was a fun track car, and I was neck and neck with C7s for time, which was awesome. But the experiment is over and I am going back to a more traditional track car.

Short list:
C7 Z51
2018-2021 Mustang GT PP2
2023 Subaru BRZ

I've had a few Miatas, and always wanted more power, so I fear that I will fall into the same trap with the BRZ.

OP
OP
Aonarch

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm a racer myself. I do not think I will ever go with a front locker now, just being realistic. So making sure I have maximum front articulation, like you said is crucial.

Ford Bronco Aonarch’s 2023 Bronco Build P_20230416_185121

Selling my TT this week. It was a fun track car, and I was neck and neck with C7s for time, which was awesome. But the experiment is over and I am going back to a more traditional track car.

Short list:
C7 Z51
2018-2021 Mustang GT PP2
2023 Subaru BRZ

I've had a few Miatas, and always wanted more power, so I fear that I will fall into the same trap with the BRZ.
Well I found a PP2 equipped GT in a very similar color. Picking it up Thursday.

Ford Bronco Aonarch’s 2023 Bronco Build clean_016

OP
OP
Aonarch

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@Aonarch
The hole that provides the longest distance to the torsion bar will develop the most leverage (least stiffness as function of length cubed). So that would be for off road use, greatest articulation with least resistance.

very curious how you like this setup on the road. A 0.85” bar is much softer than the 1.375” OEM bar. Torsional resistance is a function of bar diameter to the fourth power. Very strong function. The 0.85” bar should be about 6 times softer (very crude estimate). Much better for off roading but curious what you think on the road.
Reporting back, drove it for two days around 100 miles.

Body roll has increased, but is absolutely fine. The increase is very minor, thanks to the rear sway bar.

If anything I am going to move the links to the off-road hole and see how that feels. That might be next week though. I've got a track day on Sunday, Mustang is delivered Thursday and I need to do full maintenance on it (Every fluid, every filter, inspection, check plugs, etc.).

Sponsored

retrospex

Wildtrak
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Wildtrak, Audi RS5 B8.5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Cool build bro. Love the progress and updates.

OP
OP
Aonarch

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Well I found a PP2 equipped GT in a very similar color. Picking it up Thursday.

Ford Bronco Aonarch’s 2023 Bronco Build clean_016
Transporter ended up damaging the car. Looked at a left over 2023 Mach 1 instead, but the dealer wasn’t playing ball with pricing.

Ended up getting a minty fresh one owner C7 Z51 Corvette with 6k miles. A car that I’ve almost purchased several times since they came out. Prices are still pretty wild.

IMG_1028.jpeg

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@BAUS67
Not sure but this doesn’t look like a ford.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

@BAUS67
Not sure but this doesn’t look like a ford.

:LOL::LOL: Yep, had to settle for second fiddle cause he couldn't get a Stang. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I jest but those Vettes are kinda nice. Drove quite a few with my old job. Hard to get in and out of, can't see all that good out of them, but they do haul the biscuits. ;)

OP
OP
Aonarch

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Finally got around to installing the Badasstents wind deflector for the factory rack. It didn't come with instructions, but rather just a diagram. I figured it out easy enough, but they really should include instructions for the average DIYer.

Ford Bronco Aonarch’s 2023 Bronco Build IMG_1053

Ford Bronco Aonarch’s 2023 Bronco Build IMG_1054

Ford Bronco Aonarch’s 2023 Bronco Build IMG_1055.JPG

Bonus full wet autocross.

Sponsored

Lujess

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner, 2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Another vwvortexer stalking your build 🤣

Looks fantastic. I have a 2-door 2024 BB on order. Seeing your build/color choice makes me think about changing to Carbonized Gray from iconic Silver

OP
OP
Aonarch

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Another vwvortexer stalking your build 🤣

Looks fantastic. I have a 2-door 2024 BB on order. Seeing your build/color choice makes me think about changing to Carbonized Gray from iconic Silver
I'm biased but Carbonized Gray all day. It and Eruption Green are my favorites.

OP
OP
Aonarch

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Build recap, the only thing left for the build is installing the rear Trutrac LSD.

I've been hesitating because I have to replace the gears anyways, so I've been thinking if I should go ahead and do the FDU at the same time. Then thinking what size gears I want to go with.

Then I'd go with the HOSS 3.0 steering rack and tie rods at a minimum.

Then I'd get bored with 33s and want 37s...

It is a slipery slope....

So for now I am done. I need to focus on my Corvette track car, getting it ready, aka spending money, for next years season.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aonarch

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

IMG_1193.jpeg

So I took of the roof rack and did some before and after fuel economy testing.

Needless to say, the rack is not going back on.

I lost up to 8 mpg with the factory rails and the Yakima platform. At the minimum I lose 3+ mpg on the highway with the factory roof rack (No Yakima platform) versus without, probably more like 5 mpg. Absolutely shocking. The rack really kills the aerodynamics of the Bronco.

I did the test, because I recently did a 2 hour highway drive with the full rack + Yakima installed and was very annoyed at my poor mpg. So I took off the Yakima platform and repeated the drive, then took off the rails too. Yup. Major difference. The route, speed, traffic, conditions, acceleration, etc was all very similar since I spent most of the time in the express/ HOV lane on cruise control.

With the rack I was getting 17-18 mpg highway.

Without the rack I get 21-25 mpg highway. Speed playing a major factor without a rack. I can get 26 mpg but that is at around 65 mph, slower than I drive. I am normally at 75 mph up to 80. Speed limit is 80. :)

mbc15

Wildtrak
First Name
Mikey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ford Bronco Aonarch’s 2023 Bronco Build IMG_1193

Wheels and tires are on! Rides phenomenal. Better than the stock Duelers, and the wheels and tire package weighs less than the OBX setup. Firestone AT2s have very low rolling resistance so I’m not expecting any MPG or performance hit.
I am looking at purchasing the RTR wheels and 285/70/17 tires when my OBX is delivered. Yours appear to have very little to no poke, but when I look around it seems like there will be ~1.5". Yours looks great! What am I missing?
Sponsored