Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2Door Bronco, BMW X6, Toyota Highlander, Newell 45
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

How do I increase payload capacity on my Bronco with all of my mods? I have a stock 2023 Wildtrak.

I have a front bumper and winch plus rear bumper and tire carrier that will weigh almost 400 lbs! It doesn’t seem like I can add anything like a roof rack or RTT without maxing out my payload limit.

I do not do any heavy off-roading just enjoy nature and camping. I know nothing about suspension except what I read on this forum.

What is the right way to carry more weight?
Sponsored

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You said you don’t do any heavy off-roading, so you can go back to the factory front and rear bumpers to get that payload back. No need for upgrading them if you’re just doing some camping.

If you’re set on keeping them for looks, then the right way would be to get a small trailer to tow since you’re taking it easy, it won’t be a hindrance.

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Legally, I don't believe there is any way that you can. What's on the door jamb sticker is what is legal.

You can add to some of the weight bearing items like springs, get higher load rated tires, stiffen the frame, etc... but law enforcement is going to go by that sticker that has the factory rating.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

law enforcement is going to go by that sticker that has the factory rating.
I've never seen law enforcement stick a vehicle on a scale unless it was a pickup with the rear end obviously overloaded. Plenty of trailers though.

Most won't consider "installed" equipment payload - you are just at risk of hitting the GVWR limit. That is pretty hefty for a Bronco - 5,500-6,100 lbs depending on your trim level. Curb weight stock is 4,200-4,900, so you have around 1,000 lbs (give or take - depending on ho wmnay people you haul and how much you weight) to play with there. The Badlands and BDs are the chunks there with factory armor plates and steel bumpers.

Steel armor and bumpers are going to be, far and away, the most installed weight you will add. Stuff going on the roof - like racks and sleepers and stuff, those won't be nearly as bad, since they are designed to go up top.

You also can't just necessarily add in the weight of your mods and add that to the sticker curb weight either. Most of those will pull factory equipment off - especially bumpers and the like. If you are worried about it - go get it weighed at a scale.

But I think you'll probably be fine, as long as you aren't hauling a family of 5 from My 600lb Life.

BlueWaffle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco, and a trio of 80s GM's.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Payload is set by government tests and regulation, no real way around it.

Installed equipment absolutely IS payload.. shit.. even the fuel in the gas tank is considered payload..

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
How do I increase payload capacity on my Bronco with all of my mods? I have a stock 2023 Wildtrak.

I have a front bumper and winch plus rear bumper and tire carrier that will weigh almost 400 lbs! It doesn’t seem like I can add anything like a roof rack or RTT without maxing out my payload limit.

I do not do any heavy off-roading just enjoy nature and camping. I know nothing about suspension except what I read on this forum.

Do you really need the heavy bumper and winch, if not doing heavy off-roading, mainly camping and stuff as you mentioned? Personally I try to avoid "what if" overequipping, it saves money and the vehicle might perform better without lugging around a bunch of stuff hardly if ever used.

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
These are not precise numbers for all Broncos.
Looking at the sticker from our Wildtrack.
GVWR 6140
Max Payload 917
Weight range from Ford for all 2.7l equipped 4dr models, 4,661 - 5,320

Best case 4661 + 917 = 5578
Worst case 5320 + 917 = 6237

It appears that the max payload plus unloaded weight likely to be the GVWR or close to it.

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is no way to legally/officially increase the payload capacity.

But as @Brian_B mentioned, the weight of personal vehicles is not something law enforcement typically polices unless something is obviously wrong. Most of their focus is on commercial vehicles 10,000 lbs and up.

It would be irresponsible for any of us to say, "Well this is the correct way to ignore the manufacturer's guidelines". But, from a practical standpoint you can do some suspension upgrades that will help to a point. ARB's Old Man Emu suspension is a good place to start, but they also will recommend you stay within the weight limit because they don't want the liability of you doing silly things. So go forth at your own risk, and if you are way overweight don't drive near me on hills. :wink:

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You really can’t increase your vehicles overall gross weight capacity “legally”, as what’s set by the manufacturer is regulatory.

However, adding a heavier weight bearing suspension can help to carry the weight you do have better. (Old Man Emu shocks and springs for example). You can also upgrade to Lighter and better wheels or rims.

Question to you is, if you don’t do serious off-raoding (subjective statement), why the winch? Sure a Winch comes in handy when camping in remote areas with a tree down, but that’ll be rare unless your exit is blocked, which would be even more rare. Then, why the upgraded bumpers?

Cosmetic crap, usually touted on a forum or YouTube mess can easily confuse those things that are necessary with what just may look nice. Steel sounds great until you see the weight. Aluminum is often a better option on modern vehicles.

Also, try to streamline other gear like that for camping and whatever. Ground tents are lighter and I like them better since keeps the rig from being top heavy and better for gas. Just spray your ground tent with Sawyer Insect Gear spray to keep out critters (permeth -er-something other); this is what I use on my clothes, backpack, socks, boots, tent, whatever. A few little containers of Ammonia keeps both snakes and bears away from camp if you space them out.

Just remember to stay away from racing suspension upgrades such as Fox or KING and go for more Old Man Emu or ICON which are better for carrying heavy overland rig loads. Fewer rebuilds down the line as well.

Let me know if any of the before mentioned doesn’t make sense or needs more clarification.

desibull

Black Diamond
First Name
Mahesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335i
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A good topic of discussion for sure. As for me, I am being extremely prescriptive on what mods I am doing with a focus on minimizing "permanent weight". My goal is to carry offroad gear when needed but take it off when I am using my steed as a DD. I see it completely wasteful hauling around an RTT, a bunch of offroading equipment etc. on a daily basis. But then again, I am not going offroading every weekend; maybe once a month.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I didn’t read the posts before mine, so I just repeated things said by others and most of it is very good information, so there’s some peer confirmation, although not scientific, but screw that, right? :)

Big thing is be careful with drastic changes to the dynamics and drivability of your rig, so a well thought out upgrade cadence is smart. When you put crap on, you’ve also taken other crap off, but new crap tends to be a tad heavier.

OP
OP
Ophthovet

Ophthovet

Wildtrak
First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2Door Bronco, BMW X6, Toyota Highlander, Newell 45
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ok now I feel like I asked a dumb question but thanks for the great replies and education. I see what I need to prioritize now and wait until my needs change for the rest.
Sponsored