First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Raptor - 02 Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Has anyone else experienced or heard of this?

When driving between 55-60 MPH and making a slight right curve (1 degree or less) the steering seems to lock up. It takes a bit of extra force to the left to get it to release.

Strange thing is it seems to only happen at these two particular curves on this two lane highway I travel frequently.

Iā€™m familiar with wide tires tending to pull on wavy roads, and in fact I initially thought that is what was happening. But the more it occurs the more I realize itā€™s not pulling it just locks up.

My 22 Braptor is stock with 6K miles on it.

Ford Bronco Steering Freezing Up <SOLVED> IMG_2075
Sponsored

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ā€˜1928 model A, ā€œ23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
steering rack failure...warranty time

OP
OP
SilverStreak02

SilverStreak02

Raptor
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
steering rack failure...warranty time
Yeah my gut thinks the same thing. Iā€™m worried I wonā€™t get the dealer to fix it cause they wonā€™t be able to recreate the issue. The curves it seems to only happen on is a 45 minute drive away from the dealer.
Was hoping it would be an easy fix but probably notā€¦.

Sponsored

RIDE

Raptor
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Braptor, ā€˜71 Highboy F250, ā€˜54 Willys
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Recall hitting any big hits/potholes at speed? I knocked my toe-in alignment out once and had something similar happen. Not on my Bronco though and it wasnā€™t an actual freeze. Would decide to track like it was on rails when I turned the wheel to an exact position. Realignment clears it right up

OP
OP
SilverStreak02

SilverStreak02

Raptor
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Recall hitting any big hits/potholes at speed? I knocked my toe-in alignment out once and had something similar happen. Not on my Bronco though and it wasnā€™t an actual freeze. Would decide to track like it was on rails when I turned the wheel to an exact position. Realignment clears it right up
Thank you for the input! Iā€™ll have them check the alignment when I get in for oil change and tire rotation soon. Appreciate it.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Drive a different route and avoid the mysterious curves. Sorry, it is a steamy Sunday morning and I couldnā€™t resists. Hope you get it figured out.

RIDE

Raptor
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Thank you for the input! Iā€™ll have them check the alignment when I get in for oil change and tire rotation soon. Appreciate it.
Btw, fully envious of that low miles on a ā€˜22. Iā€™m double that on my ā€˜23 through incredibly focused restraint and thought I was doing good. Thnx for the perspective and I feel like a failure now.šŸ˜‚

OP
OP
SilverStreak02

SilverStreak02

Raptor
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Btw, fully envious of that low miles on a ā€˜22. Iā€™m double that on my ā€˜23 through incredibly focused restraint and thought I was doing good. Thnx for the perspective and I feel like a failure now.šŸ˜‚
Iā€™ve only had it for a few months. Bought it used with 900 miles on it.

Sponsored

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Drive a different route and avoid the mysterious curves. Sorry, it is a steamy Sunday morning and I couldnā€™t resists. Hope you get it figured out.
This will be the dealers response šŸ˜‚

ā€œCouldnā€™t replicate. We suggest taking a different routeā€

OP
OP
SilverStreak02

SilverStreak02

Raptor
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
@RIDE I want to thank you for the feedback. I measured and found that my LF toe was slightly in compared to the RF. Adjusted it and the Bronco not only doesnā€™t freeze in those two curves it actually tracks better in general.

I can only assume it was that way from Ford as the QC marks were in place and unaltered.

Appreciate the help. šŸ¤˜šŸ¼

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine does very frequently and I attributed it to the electric assist steering having millisecond hiccups responding to my steering wheel inputs. Steering is a totally "dead feeling" in the Bronco compared to my 2004 BMW 3 series. I just figured it was the electric assist motor not being very "smooth".

OP
OP
SilverStreak02

SilverStreak02

Raptor
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Mine does very frequently and I attributed it to the electric assist steering having millisecond hiccups responding to my steering wheel inputs. Steering is a totally "dead feeling" in the Bronco compared to my 2004 BMW 3 series. I just figured it was the electric assist motor not being very "smooth".
Have your alignment checked. I found my LF to be toed in slightly and once I adjusted it out my Bronco tracks so much better.

Last edited:

RIDE

Raptor
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
@RIDE I want to thank you for the feedback. I measured and found that my LF toe was slightly in compared to the RF. Adjusted it and the Bronco not only doesnā€™t freeze in those two curves it actually tracks better in general.

I can only assume it was that way from Ford as the QC marks were in place and unaltered.

Appreciate the help. šŸ¤˜šŸ¼
Glad that was your issue. Relatively simple fixes are the best ones, I find.
Sponsored