First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Correct me if I'm wrong, I tried searching for the topic but couldn't find anything like my issue. I took the two front roof panels off the hard top (2022 outer Banks 4dr) and noticed the paint was peeling or flaking off under the bolts that hold the black metal mounting points to the chassis (closest to the windshield). Not sure if anyone else has this issue and if the dealership covers this, but it's the second major paint issue I've had with the vehicle and it's getting really upsetting to see all these issues.

Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong area

20240603_180844.jpg

20240603_180850.jpg
Sponsored

CitrusBronco

Everglades
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former 72 & 73 Bronco driver, f250 7.3 powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

I see this got 135 views but no responses, I hate asking and no one responding so I am going toss out my thoughts.
It sucks, looks like over torque bolts plus not fully cured paint and maybe poor paint bond.

The paint on my Bronco has an issue on every panel, giant fish eyes, debris the size of a mountain and places the robot just missed and all I got was the over spray. I noticed this week one when I put a nice hand wax on with a followup ceramic spray a few days later. Man it looks great and shines. I do care for my vehicles but I am not going to cry over cosmetic issues.
Now I ask myself what is going to be more frustrating this or the hassle of dropping it off and being without it for a week while I can only hope the dealership body shop does not half ass the paint correction, which I am 99% sure they will and even make it worse.
I choose the lesser of to evils, and peacefulness fills my heart as I can get back to loving my fun Bronco.
I also know that in a few years I won't give a hoot and I will likely have scratched and dented it up myself since I know me and I bought this to have fun running the trails and mud. To fast on dirt roads trying my best to make PJ himself proud of his Bronco legacy.

Don't get upset over this, Ford paint sucks and the Bronco will be no worse off due to it. Put on some touch-up paint and move on to enjoying your day.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'll start off by saying I do not have the MIC, so I can't see exactly what you are seeing.

But there are plenty of bolts on this thing that either have been painted over and you have to just deal with it if you want to remove them (look at the tailgate hinges, for an obvious example), or the bolt/washer goes straight mated to a painted surface, where, yeah, it's just going to crack the paint up.

I'll wrap up my introduction by saying, the fit and finish on Broncos is .... sub-optimal. And that includes the paint. But the bones are pretty good.

There are a couple of options.

First would be get some rubber backed washers. I got a box of 100 of these things from amazon. Most bolts are m8, a few m10 or m6 here or there. The rubber backed washers help protect the paint, but you have to be careful as if you torque them down, you'll just crush the rubber and end up right back where you started. So don't do this anywhere where you need german torque specs. I've done this for a lot of eye hooks and such in the rear end that I've added, so they don't ruin the paint on the roll cage.

Second would be touch-up paint, optionally including over the bolt (ala the tailgate hinge).

Third option would be - well, it's an offroad vehicle, it will get covered in pinstripes and rock chips anyway. Not everyone does that with a Bronco, but that's kinda what they were built with in mind. And it looks like, by the photos, what you are seeing is covered by a trim panel or otherwise out of sight anyway. I mean, you know it's there because you saw it, but no one else is gonna see it unless you whip out those pics and show them.

Johnny Vikes

First Edition
First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 door Bronco FE, 2 door base-mansquatch Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I came on here here to bitch about ford paint, did a search before I did so and found your post... i have the same issues and then some. I am so disappointed in the paint quality. It's really unacceptable. Im considering getting it repainted/wrapped at some point - assuming anyone can do a better job than Ford. The quality is just atrocious.

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It sucks. I’m OCD. But I’m guessing lots of these plates will have chipping paint. I’d just coat the chipped area with touch up paint.

Sponsored
First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is this really that much of an issue? Aren't these locations pretty hidden from view and you can only really see this kind of issue if you look hard at it?

carrellslake

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

2022 Black Diamond here. Same thing. I’m not even going to get my dealership involved because I don’t expect them to actually fix it, based on other issues I’ve complained about.

OP
OP
Jacoozzie

Jacoozzie

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Is this really that much of an issue? Aren't these locations pretty hidden from view and you can only really see this kind of issue if you look hard at it?
If the roof comes off its plain as day the paint is coming off (more so I'm worried about rust on the bare metal), it was even flaking onto the dash and that's how I noticed it lol. IDK, when you spend $50k on something, you expect there to be a little more attention to detail. Furthermore, my bronco had paint defects straight from the factory. I already had to have the dealer sand and blend both front door panels because there were jagged edges and chipped paint on the door edges between the front fenders (it was really bad, almost like debris got painted over). I also have rust on the bolts that hold the "accessory ready" plastic clips to roof (the bolts are painted but somehow are rusting through). My roof still leaks during heavy rain and ford can't seem to figure that out, my rear window leaked and had to get replaced, so it is annoying with all these issues ha-ha. I am just thankful my dealer is doing their best to help out and taking each of my issues on and under warranty.

OP
OP
Jacoozzie

Jacoozzie

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I came on here here to bitch about ford paint, did a search before I did so and found your post... i have the same issues and then some. I am so disappointed in the paint quality. It's really unacceptable. Im considering getting it repainted/wrapped at some point - assuming anyone can do a better job than Ford. The quality is just atrocious.
I'm with you, it's very aggravating

OP
OP
Jacoozzie

Jacoozzie

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I see this got 135 views but no responses, I hate asking and no one responding so I am going toss out my thoughts.
It sucks, looks like over torque bolts plus not fully cured paint and maybe poor paint bond.

The paint on my Bronco has an issue on every panel, giant fish eyes, debris the size of a mountain and places the robot just missed and all I got was the over spray. I noticed this week one when I put a nice hand wax on with a followup ceramic spray a few days later. Man it looks great and shines. I do care for my vehicles but I am not going to cry over cosmetic issues.
Now I ask myself what is going to be more frustrating this or the hassle of dropping it off and being without it for a week while I can only hope the dealership body shop does not half ass the paint correction, which I am 99% sure they will and even make it worse.
I choose the lesser of to evils, and peacefulness fills my heart as I can get back to loving my fun Bronco.
I also know that in a few years I won't give a hoot and I will likely have scratched and dented it up myself since I know me and I bought this to have fun running the trails and mud. To fast on dirt roads trying my best to make PJ himself proud of his Bronco legacy.

Don't get upset over this, Ford paint sucks and the Bronco will be no worse off due to it. Put on some touch-up paint and move on to enjoying your day.
appreciate the reply! I have it going in for a leaking roof in the front so I will simply let them know about the paint. Like you said, I won't stress too much about it (rust is my biggest concern though).

Sponsored

ThatWilsonGuy

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Raptor | 23' BL SAS | Sport FE (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Found your post after finding the same issues. Did the dealer say anything about the paint? My concern is the same as your and about rust.
Ford Bronco Paint chipping under bolts for hard top mounting points 20240629_120136
Ford Bronco Paint chipping under bolts for hard top mounting points 20240629_120143
Ford Bronco Paint chipping under bolts for hard top mounting points 529202412654843

OP
OP
Jacoozzie

Jacoozzie

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Found your post after finding the same issues. Did the dealer say anything about the paint? My concern is the same as your and about rust.
Ford Bronco Paint chipping under bolts for hard top mounting points 529202412654843
I just got my vehicle back after 3 weeks. It went in for a leak in the roof (passenger side behind the sun visor) and then t was a waiting game for Ford to advise them on the chipping paint. After some time, they were told that Ford would not cover the paint chipping. They claimed it was wear and tear.... The shop manager said not to worry about rust since it is aluminum and they coat it with some "stuff" to prevent corrosion before painting. I'm honestly certain that just about every single bronco has this problem and Ford knows it and doesn't want to deal with a massive recall or TSB ?? I've had so many paint issues already I'm just tired of it lol
Sponsored