Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here are some pro tips:

1. While possible alone, it's best to have a partner, or a group
2. Pump your hand rhythmically, and it's a good idea to switch hands periodically
3. Make sure everything is lubed, don't want to grind things to a halt
4. While it might seem like a long shot, be sure to where eye protection just in case
5. Once you get it up, try not to let it back down until your finished
Sponsored

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've used the scissor jack - works fine for just changing tires or for getting a block/stand up underneath it. Wouldn't want to crawl under the thing to do any work with it though.

I carry a high jack when I'm going up the mountain, but normally I just leave the mount empty. When you need it, you need it - which for me has only been for other vehicles to date, but it's come in handy. I usually use it in conjunction with soft shackles.

Usually the hardest part is finding something firm/stable enough to base the jack on. Almost makes me think about recovery boards, but I don't want to be carrying those around if I don't have to, and I've had good luck finding random logs/rocks/etc so far.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here are some pro tips:

1. While possible alone, it's best to have a partner, or a group
2. Pump your hand rhythmically, and it's a good idea to switch hands periodically
3. Make sure everything is lubed, don't want to grind things to a halt
4. While it might seem like a long shot, be sure to where eye protection just in case
5. Once you get it up, try not to let it back down until your finished
6. Make sure you have good cell reception or else you will need a good memory/highlight reel to help you complete the task
7. Have plenty of shop towels on hand to help you clean-up afterwards

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yea, I'm not gonna touch that title :oops:
But I always drove around with plastic blocks (trailer blocks) in my truck, makes life easier when the jack is that much higher and on something solid. I haven't thrown them in the Bronco yet for daily driving, I might when I get the storage thing sorted out. But if traveling or going off road, they're light, strong and easy ...

Ford Bronco Jacking Off Road - Best Practices 20211007_074939

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think that my question is, how do I know when I should hire a pro to do it for me?

Sponsored

UNBROKN

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 F-350 CC dually, 97 Infiniti QX4, 21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Bottle jack. Compact, safe, and doesn't require any specific lift points to work.
I might add something to place under it for extra stability
Yea, I'm not gonna touch that title :oops:
But I always drove around with plastic blocks (trailer blocks) in my truck, makes life easier when the jack is that much higher and on something solid. I haven't thrown them in the Bronco yet for daily driving, I might when I get the storage thing sorted out. But if traveling or going off road, they're light, strong and easy ...

Ford Bronco Jacking Off Road - Best Practices 20211007_074939
All good ideas here. I was gonna suggest a bottle jack and then get a small piece of thick plywood 12x12 (or a couple sizes) to use under any jack. You know it is inevitable that the repair will have to happen in a spot that the jack is gonna sink in and not be able to lift the truck. You need all the surface area you can get and they won't take up much space.

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
None of these replies are helpful best practises to the title at hand...
Everyone knows 'best practices', chock the diagonal tire, level surface, jack from designated locations, loosen lugs before lifting, tighten lugs in a star pattern, don't put your head under the tire when lowering :rolleyes: :LOL:
Bla bla bla. Easy to look up on the Google machine.

I thought you were really asking what do people do to make life easer, safer, clever solutions , or products that are just better when lifting your car.

Or maybe you were really asking about preventing chaffing...

cynicalrider

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First gen taco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Every time is see a Jeep with a heavy, awkward goofy high lift jack mounted on their hood. I just laugh and think you’ve obviously never use that garbage before they’re terrible.
meh they have their place, helped me in a bind tons of times over the years. The downside is they are difficult to store and require lube. 😉

that being said though I’m exploring a new option for this truck:

IMG_9896.jpeg

BRBUSTER72

Black Diamond
First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 XTERRA '16 SUPER DUTY '18 EQUINOX DIESEL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’ve been thinking of storing a bottle jack where my factory one is now. Does anyone know what’s the largest harbor freight bottle jack that can fit in that space? And is it ok to store on its side?
Don't know about all bottle jacks but it has always been said to not store bottle jacks on their sides.
Sponsored