Sponsored

In LOVE with the Bronco! Want to leave car...

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

While you can definitely commute in a Bronco, Broncos are first and foremost off road vehicles, and everything else comes second.

As long as you are ok with that. I commute in mine all over and my drives range anywhere from 1 hour to 5 hours, one way, depending on the location. But it’s not gonna be the same as a ride in a Civic, it has trade offs - both good and bad.
Sponsored

zerk4321

Base
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Squatch Rapid Red
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The seats in a Toyota Civic or Camry or RAV4 are absolutely terrible and uncomfortable - I drove them for many years. I find the Bronco seats pretty comfortable. I also never bought a car I really liked - could only recently afford it in ‘21. I love the Bronco. Soft top - every weekend feels like a vacation with the top back! I only drive it evenings after work (commute by train) and weekends. Buy it only if you can afford it. If you can, you won’t regret it.

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Well the advice above me is all saying go for it, which I would also echo but I think you deserve some dissenting advice as well.

I found getting around in the Midwest (read: Chicagoland for 3 years) to be a pretty dismal affair. In fact the weather is why i got the hell out of there. If you don't absolutely have plans to go off-roading, camping/overlanding, or don't ever really intend to remove the top you might do better looking into a crossover. With a Bronco and similar a Wrangler you are paying for some extremely capability at the expense of comfort/niceties.

Something with remote start, heated seats, a really quiet cabin for that 1 hour commute (all Broncos are loud, even hard tops). Go test drive a Honda Passport and a Bronco back to back, and report back to us. That is my advice. If I had a do-over right meow I'd probably lean more towards a pickup.
Prudent response 🙏🏼

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I have a short commute with the worst weather being rain or maybe a hurricane. The ride and drive are fine, but what I'm questioning is why your Civic is sliding all over the place in winter? A good set of winter tires and you shouldn't have any issue unless it's your driving style.

I honestly haven't driven mine in snow so don't know how it responds but big fat tires and 5k of weight on slick surfaces doesn't sound like my idea of fun at highway speeds; probably explains why I like living in the south.

Anyrate, expect twice as much fuel use, expensive tires, and Ford crap shoot quality along with that $5k of negative equity rolled into your new $50k+ vehicle with a prospective higher interest rate. I hate to go against the grain here, I do love my Bronco but unless you're rolling in extra cash I think you're overextending yourself.

Sponsored

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The Bronco is comfortable for long commutes but the wind noise does get old after a while. The OBX non sasquatch will get the best gas mileage… I would get that trim over BD for your situation. When my Big Bend was stock, I got about 25/26 mpg on the freeway using cruise/going the speed limit which is actually really good for a vehicle in this class. They are all overpriced for what they are after the increases the past few years. My .02 is buy a used Big Bend with less than 20k miles for under $40k - those seem pretty easy to find at this point. You can buy takeoff parts from any other trim for super cheap on Facebook market to make it look how you want.

Last edited:

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I left my 35mpg Mitsubishi Lancer for a 21 Bronco Sport, now a 22 Bronco BD manual. Best mileage I can get is 22mpg. I love driving this thing, everyday, 30 mile one-way commute. Sometimes I wish the ride was longer. Been cross country twice with it, 3rd coming in June. I am used to the roof noise, with the radio volume. I live in MN, wish we had more snow this winter, only because I wanted to use 4wd more. Enjoy.

Billy Baroo

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hello All,

I highly desire a Bronco. Either a BD or OXB trim. I currently own a 2022 Honda Civic. The seats are very uncomfortable after my long commute to and from work. 38 miles and 1 hour commute time. And this car sits so damn low!

I live in the midwest, and the winters are brutal. The Civic slides all over. The only thing this car has going for itself is the mpg. I'm averaging 30 to 32 mpg.

I am 40 years old, Male. I never about anything nice or cool for myself. Man I would love a Bronco especially for the winter.

Would it be idiotic to let the Civic go and get me a Bronco?

Thank you!
I would stay with the Honda

DirectHit

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I commute an hour+ each way in my 2 door Bronco, and when I don’t drive it I’m in a Gladiator, both on 37s. I just turned 50 and when I realized I could afford 50k+ fun vehicles 10 years ago I also decided I don’t care about gas mileage. If you can swing it, I believe long commutes are much more enjoyable in a vehicle you enjoy.

Sponsored

Johnsolo_02

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BD Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thank you all for your reply. Carmax is offering me 24k for the Civic. I would have negative equity of 5k. And Honda provided me with a handsome apr of 4.9, when I financed the vehicle.
A month after I turned 40, I got a black diamond. Arguably one of my most favorite vehicles I’ve owned so far.

That being said, while deals can be negotiated in your favor, negative equity is a hard nope for new car deals for me. I’ll be damned if I’m knowingly gonna pay someone $5K extra to take my old car just because I want to buy a newer one. But I’m not your accountant or in your pockets. So, if you can financially swing it, go for it. Life is short. Drive something fun while you’re living.

Paughco

Outer Banks
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Snoqualmie Valley, Washington, USA, Planet Earth
Vehicle(s)
2001 F-150 XLT and 2022 Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a 2022 Bronco Outer Banks (OBX). Non-sasquatch. Bought it to replace a great 2001 F-150 4WD FX, which I ended up giving to my son. My OBX has the big screen, leather seats, and all the safety features. 2.7 liter engine. Gets about 17.5 mpg.

I really like it. The only thing that I miss is that V-8 rumble. I recently installed an axle-back exhaust from Fast Intentions, and that has definitely added to the overall experience.

Winter? No problem. I'll always keep good tires on this thing, and it has the upgrade AWD transfer case.

OK - my inner engineer is breaking out. Why not go test drive a Subaru Cross-trek? Get one of those little beauties, then take the bux you've saved and buy a nice motorcycle! Maybe a Suzuki DR650. Or a BMW R9T. Or, a H-D Sportster.

Just sayin'. I have a '50 Panhead and a '22 R1250RS. But when I need to take my wife somewhere, I really do enjoy my '22 OBX.

Seeya
ATB

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ahahahaha
Jump on a Bronco forum and ask if you should buy a Bronco.😆

Why yes, yes you should.😉

Broncos are without a doubt, a perfect example of trade offs. For some the negatives out weigh the positives for some its the other way around, and then there's us with our heads so far up our backsides we don't know which way is up, but we keep buying toys for our Broncos like it's their last Christmas.

But seriously, they are unbelievably fun, but a lot more associated costs than a Civic. If you're okay with the trade offs get one ASAP because every day without one is a wasted driving day. 😁

Amochosto

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
P-car/Merc 2 Door Badlands 7 spd on order
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't own a Bronco yet, but I want one desperately.

My advice is go ask the same question on a Civic forum and compare the answers.

HighVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Scrambler, Ferrari 458
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My advice is go ask the same question on a Civic forum and compare the answers.
There's a Civic forum? That must be pretty lifeless.

"so what problem didn't you have with your car today that you wish you could have?"

"I just had to put fuel in my car after 4500938 miles. This thing sucks"

"I accidently smiled while driving past a Bronco. Is Japan going to take my car away?"
Sponsored