Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That 18.4 is probably a mile or so high. Do a hand calculation next time you fill up.
Ya, the compooter is always about 1-1.5 MPG optimistic.
Probably to assuage that EPfuckinA 100MPG fleet mileage requirement.
Sponsored

negativezero

Big Bend
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This is what the fuel economy data looks like for my first 100 tanks in the 2-door, 2.7L, BB, non-sasquatch.

For "fuel economy deviation", a negative number means the onboard computer had optimistically reported the fuel economy, and the gas volume per mileage of previous tank was worse than the CPU said.

dnGa2na.jpg

I have 6 months of fuel data I just haven't inputted into this spreadsheet too :X

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BP should be Top Tier as well. 🤷‍♂️

The Costco near me always gives me great fuel mileage. Just learned that Meijer (regional superstore type chain) has top tier fuel at their stations, will start logging that data now.

Added 35's to my 2.3/7spd/4.46 Base, using 5th gear to keep boost down, I get 21 mpg at 78 MPH (2700rpm).
Hand calculated, verified over several tanks worth.
These 4cyl motors like to spin.
6th gear is essentially useless, it's a gas hogging, super boosting dog at that point.

I would aim to keep Interstate RPMS around 2500 or 2600 if I could pick the right gear/tire combo. However, I have found (via Grimm Jeeper gearing calculator) doing that will make 1st gear REALLY REALLY low.
I was under the impression that all MTs were geared 4.7?

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Calculating by hand I am averaging 17.9 MPG over my last seven fill-ups. Which is pretty close to what my dash is telling me. With my highest ever being 20.64 MPG (which surprises the heck out of me) and my lowest being 13.3 (which doesn't surprise me nearly as much). The seven prior fill-ups I was averaging 17.2 which is almost exactly what I was averaging the two years prior. 2021 4 door, 2.3 auto with rear locker with just over 18k on the clock.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was under the impression that all MTs were geared 4.7?
I think the badlands is the only one that has 4.7 and MT without the sasquatch package.
^^^ Correct!!! I actually forgot about the manual/non-Squatch Badlands having 4.7 gears with the 33's.

Standard (suspension/driveline) manuals are 4.46, Squatch manuals are 4.7.

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been getting 18.4 the last few weeks as well. Awfully suspicious. 😁

BP should be Top Tier as well. 🤷‍♂️

The Costco near me always gives me great fuel mileage. Just learned that Meijer (regional superstore type chain) has top tier fuel at their stations, will start logging that data now.
I assumed for the longest time that Costco was not Tier 1 because I always got worse mileage on it.

Mark

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Learning to lean in to the throttle but staying out of boost is key. I have learned I can get 18+ city driving if I baby that throttle, but what is the fun of having boost if I don't use it :). I have seen 20-22mpg on the hwy, again, thats flat ground, you add mountains or wind and I am at 15-18mpg.
The biggest enemy of good mileage is my right foot! I like having good mileage, but I love punching the turbo! (I am speaking from the experience with my 2019 Ranger Lariat, but I expect to find this true with the Bronco and will know when my Outer Banks arrives in Fall 2024...)

Mark

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
While 87 octane is approved you are giving up HP and Mpg From more efficient combustion
Guys, is there any consensus on the optimum octane level for our Broncos? I am more interested in performance than mileage, but knowing which octane gives you the best blend of both would be helpful. I always fill up at WaWa because they are conveniently located along my familiar routes. (It is an East Coast thing for the time being...)

Kevin Scarbel

Everglades
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Everglades 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
My 2024 2.3L/auto Heritage/SAS gets 20 city, 22 hwy with 87.
I take it easy, no rush. I use cruise control a lot, including around town.
I haven't experimented with Eco yet.

Sponsored

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Light foot, a lot of coasting and lot of us use of CC and 70 MPH top speed. 22.7 average 2 door base Sas, 2.7. I still cannot afford it as my daily, just a weekend use vehicle.

Delli555

Black Diamond
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Acadia
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Mine gets worse gas mileage in the winter. Over 1 mpg better in summer when warm vs winter when cold in my region. Not sure how much of that is because of actual temp difference or if it is mostly because of the winter gas blend is different than summer blend.

Reactions: LCW

ajohnymous

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Has anyone else noticed that they get worse MPG on the interstate? I drive 30 minutes a day on a state highway going 60mph. If I do a trip a few hours away running mostly interstate, I calculate 1.5-2 MPG lower.

burgerking

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Guys, is there any consensus on the optimum octane level for our Broncos? I am more interested in performance than mileage, but knowing which octane gives you the best blend of both would be helpful. I always fill up at WaWa because they are conveniently located along my familiar routes. (It is an East Coast thing for the time being...)
I don't think dropping to midgrade will improve miles per gallon, just miles per dollar. Ethanol free would improve mpg but around here it's only 90 octane and it costs more than premium.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Just saying...

248 miles on I-10 through Texas Hill Country,
3.5 hours (70.85 mph average - including 2 rest stops),
23.5 mpg

(agree with the poster above Ethanol Free gas will result in better mileage).
Sponsored