Sponsored

(fun list!) Bronco accessories to be avoided! (keep it friendly)

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MBZ E350, supposed daily driver
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

ngry and Broncos get Grumpy. There's a whole series of memes and quotes waiting to happen here... I'm going to dust off my Disneyland Grumpy dwarf hoodie today!
And how did you do that so that they turn on when you start? Inquiring minds want to copy this....
This required a lot more work and $$$, which for me, was more than worth it.

I swapped my AUX switches for something more robust, the SwitchPros 9100.
I used this SDHQ mount to replace the AUX switches.
I also had all of the wiring "swapped" to more robust wiring, just in case.
I used quotes because I left the OEM wiring and just added my own wiring along the same paths.
The end result was this:
Ford Bronco (fun list!) Bronco accessories to be avoided! (keep it friendly) PhotoGrid_Plus_1654973777025

All of the buttons do what they say, on/off and double press to strobe.
The last button marked STROBE is a master, so it'll turn ALL ON/OFF or ALL STROBE.
Everything is programmable through an app on your phone via bluetooth.
For instance, turn on at start, for which I have my amber fog and amber rock lights turn on.
I'm sure there's a way to have them turn off after a set time, but I don't think it can sense when you're in MOTION to turn them off.
There's a ton of settings you can play around with, I just did what I needed.
This version is the 8 gang switch, but the also have a 12 gang version and SDHQ has a mount for that, too. In hindsight, I should have gone with the 12 gang to future proof my setup, but for now, it's good enough for me.
Sponsored

Reidt131

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150,
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This required a lot more work and $$$, which for me, was more than worth it.

I swapped my AUX switches for something more robust, the SwitchPros 9100.
I used this SDHQ mount to replace the AUX switches.
I also had all of the wiring "swapped" to more robust wiring, just in case.
I used quotes because I left the OEM wiring and just added my own wiring along the same paths.
The end result was this:
PhotoGrid_Plus_1654973777025.jpg

All of the buttons do what they say, on/off and double press to strobe.
The last button marked STROBE is a master, so it'll turn ALL ON/OFF or ALL STROBE.
Everything is programmable through an app on your phone via bluetooth.
For instance, turn on at start, for which I have my amber fog and amber rock lights turn on.
I'm sure there's a way to have them turn off after a set time, but I don't think it can sense when you're in MOTION to turn them off.
There's a ton of settings you can play around with, I just did what I needed.
This version is the 8 gang switch, but the also have a 12 gang version and SDHQ has a mount for that, too. In hindsight, I should have gone with the 12 gang to future proof my setup, but for now, it's good enough for me.
How much do you have into this setup? I have a bronco without AUX switches and my plan has been to retrofit the OEM option, but if this is cheaper than the ~$600 to do that I would change plans.

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have never understood the appeal of these. I have never seen one that looks like it fits the vehicle it's designed for.
Ford Bronco (fun list!) Bronco accessories to be avoided! (keep it friendly) bullbar

I don't like the Ford ones that block the grill and letters, those are over sized and awkward looking. But I found this low profile bull bar and I got it to mount my light bar on. Some grinding/fab & paint work on some ditch light brackets and I was able to mount the lights under the bar between it and the bumper for some protection for the light bar and yet it doesn't block the grill.

raptorusmaximus

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

besttop bimini top.....junk, front flips up and the back wears off the paint not matter how you try to tighten it. I threw mine away.

Mark

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We use the heck out of the tailgate table. Bought the Mabbett version 1.0 one on sale for around $160. We tend to do a lot of exploring/hikes and have lunch near the tailgate. Drag out folding chars and soft cooler from the back seat. This makes a nice prep area and spot to keep random lunch related bits while we're eating.

I'm the type of person who generally won't but an accessory until I have a real need for it. After a near disastrous taco incident one day, decided a tailgate table was the way to go. I'm also cheap, so waited for that one to go on sale!

Does it rattle - yes, a but. But it's a Bronco - it's SUPPOSED to rattle!
I am trying to determine if a "near disastrous taco incident" means that you almost got hit by a Tacoma or spilled chili sauce on your shoes.

Sponsored

Eljohno

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So you got rid of the kids? 💀
Ordered these door sill guards (first pic) off Amazon. They're rugged, cover the edges, and look great IMO but they're too thick and rubbed against the door bottom. This required extra force to close the door. In fairness, my driver's side door alignment is slightly low (even after an attempted fix) so you may or may not get the same results.

I didn't want to have to "slam" the door with the flimsy widow glass up, so I replaced them with thinner StickerFab carbon fibre guards (second pic) that also cover the edges. Best $14 investment yet!

Ford Bronco (fun list!) Bronco accessories to be avoided! (keep it friendly) bullbar

Yes it must be your door alignment, I have the very same ones that say 1966 and there is no rub when you close the door. I try never to step on my silly, but know that it will happen occasionally!

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I try never to step on my silly, but know that it will happen occasionally!
I've never heard it called that before. Congratulations on being able to do that. I know I am not blessed enough to have that problem, but the flip side is I can avoid that painful situation. 💀

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MBZ E350, supposed daily driver
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

How much do you have into this setup? I have a bronco without AUX switches and my plan has been to retrofit the OEM option, but if this is cheaper than the ~$600 to do that I would change plans.
If you don't have the oem AUX switches, you'll most likely have the retracting sunglass holder in it's place.
This isn't compatible with the mount, so you'd first have to purchase that part would originally hold the AUX switches. I can't imagine it costing too much. You'll need this part either way, though, so I won't add it to the cost.

From there, the SwitchPros 9100 is $660 and the mount is $85, which already puts you past your budget.
Now, the real cost comes to play in the labor. If you're able to do it yourself, you'll save a ton. If not, the labor can run you $500-$1000, with all of the wiring and what not. The Switch Pros will take longer to install since it comes with it's own solid state fuse box. IF your Bronco didn't come with AUX switches, I'm not sure if it's prewired, so that's another cost to put into consideration.

Hope that helps.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you don't have the oem AUX switches, you'll most likely have the retracting sunglass holder in it's place.
This isn't compatible with the mount, so you'd first have to purchase that part would originally hold the AUX switches. I can't imagine it costing too much. You'll need this part either way, though, so I won't add it to the cost.

From there, the SwitchPros 9100 is $660 and the mount is $85, which already puts you past your budget.
Now, the real cost comes to play in the labor. If you're able to do it yourself, you'll save a ton. If not, the labor can run you $500-$1000, with all of the wiring and what not. The Switch Pros will take longer to install since it comes with it's own solid state fuse box. IF your Bronco didn't come with AUX switches, I'm not sure if it's prewired, so that's another cost to put into consideration.

Hope that helps.
The TL;DR here is the $195 aux switch option is an absolute steal. If my Badlands hadn't come with it, I would have checked that box. Just having the switches was probably enough, but once I heard it included the pre-wiring to various points on the vehicle, I was sold.

Eljohno

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've never heard it called that before. Congratulations on being able to do that. I know I am not blessed enough to have that problem, but the flip side is I can avoid that painful situation. 💀
Fuckin autocorrect.

Sponsored

bkfit

Base
First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ford hood protector. It has zero lift to it to send stones overwhelming roof and as far as protecting the front edge from chips, 3m clear tape will do the same.

Ford cargo drawer. Pain to remove and reinstall on as needed. Cannot access the trunk without removing drawer. Width is short and leaves 2-4 " open space on each side for stuff to fall into.
Value added for soft top to store valuables or survival tools from theft.

Reidt131

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150,
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The TL;DR here is the $195 aux switch option is an absolute steal. If my Badlands hadn't come with it, I would have checked that box. Just having the switches was probably enough, but once I heard it included the pre-wiring to various points on the vehicle, I was sold.
Yeah, slight regerts on some of our ordering decisions
No AUX and no rear locker.
Originally we didn't plan on buying this model, but we fell in love

I guess I'll still plan to install the OEM option, as it seems pretty plug and play other than trim panel removal.

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thinking about door sill guards. Except for the "no step" guards If you get black, carbon fiber, etc, they almost say "step here." Which means they'll wear faster.

Clear (PPF) guards won't be as noticeable, so concentious passengers will step over the sill instead of on it. Therefore they should last longer.

I have the IAG V2 EZ-Steps which I really like. They make it easy to step over the sill. Still not sure I need the guards. But better have then and not need them than otherwise.

Last edited:

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thinking about door sill guards. Except for the "no step" guards If you get black, carbon fiber, etc, they'll almost say "step here." Which means they'll wear faster.

Clear (PPF) guards won't be as noticeable, so concentious passengers will step over the sill instead of on it. Therefore they should last longer.

I have the IAG V2 EZ-Steps which I really like. They make it easy to step over the sill. Still not sure I need the guards. But better have then and not need them than otherwise.
I bought the stickerfab clear sill protectors. I plan on installing them this weekend.

i have turn off road side steps, but kids will be kids.

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I bought the stickerfab clear sill protectors. I plan on installing them this weekend.
They're on my shopping list, along with the door edge guards.
Sponsored