Sponsored

Choosing new tires - 37 x 12.5 or 37 x 13.5?

Otis

Wildtrak
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scout
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’m a noob at this stuff. Looking to add 37s and a 3.5” lift to my wildtrak, to take it closer to Raptor size.

I see most folks install 37x12.5 here. But it was recommended to my by the shop that I do 37x13.5. Thoughts on that? Any problem with it? I’d like more height and a slight bit of poke.

Planning to go with one of the Black Rhino wheels, either Atlas, Chamber, Fuji, or Outback, and one of the following tires:

Mickey Thompson Baja AT
Nitto Ridge Grapplers
Toyo Open Country R/T Trail
BFG all terrain T/A KO2
BFG Mud Terrain KM3

Thanks for any guidance.

In case it’s relevant, I’m based in the northeast. Mostly on pavement driving, some rain and snow, and occasional off roading, but not heavy rock crawling. Looking for an aggressive tire. Love the way those 37s look on the Raptor, so want to recreate something like that.
Sponsored

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I’m a noob at this stuff. Looking to add 37s and a 3.5” lift to my wildtrak, to take it closer to Raptor size.

I see most folks install 37x12.5 here. But it was recommended to my by the shop that I do 37x13.5. Thoughts on that? Any problem with it? I’d like more height and a slight bit of poke.

Planning to go with one of the Black Rhino wheels, either Atlas, Chamber, Fuji, or Outback, and one of the following tires:

Mickey Thompson Baja AT
Nitto Ridge Grapplers
Toyo Open Country R/T Trail
BFG all terrain T/A KO2
BFG Mud Terrain KM3

Thanks for any guidance.

In case it’s relevant, I’m based in the northeast. Mostly on pavement driving, some rain and snow, and occasional off roading, but not heavy rock crawling. Looking for an aggressive tire. Love the way those 37s look on the Raptor, so want to recreate something like that.
The 37s on the Raptor are 12.5s... Just so you know. The 13.5s are really nice off road for the additional contact patch but they also cut into your gas milage pretty heavy. You may have to push them outboard a bit more as well I do not know for sure. I am running 13.5 but I am also up much higher and out much further. I am about the same width as a raptor... (that is about 8 inches wider total.)

I would recommend a nice square shoulder AT in a 37x12.5... I bet you would be happier.

OP
OP

Otis

Wildtrak
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scout
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The 37s on the Raptor are 12.5s... Just so you know. The 13.5s are really nice off road for the additional contact patch but they also cut into your gas milage pretty heavy. You may have to push them outboard a bit more as well I do not know for sure. I am running 13.5 but I am also up much higher and out much further. I am about the same width as a raptor... (that is about 8 inches wider total.)
Damn. Are you saying the 13.5” are going to put me 8” wider than where my tires are at stock?

I’m not sweating gas mileage, but damn, maybe 12.5 are the play.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Damn. Are you saying the 13.5” are going to put me 8” wider than where my tires are at stock?

No... I am saying I am 8 inches wider.... I am running a 40x13.5.... I do not know how much wider you would have to go to fit a 37x13.5... Most people are running a 37x12.5 on a 3 inch using a 0 offset wheel... That pushes the wheel out a little more than an inch per side. Seems to work pretty well with out rubbing. You would probably have to go to a +12.5 to a +25 would be my guess.... might work I do not know. It would be a bit harder on the wheel bearings and your gas milage would definitely suffer.

Sponsored

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I am running MT legend ms 13.50 37s on 0 offset wheels, 3” lift (over Sasquatch) & JKS clearance kit…no problems…mileage did go to crap…i do like the extra tire width…
Ford Bronco Choosing new tires - 37 x 12.5 or 37 x 13.5? IMG_3046

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

5GENIDN is running portals which add a lot of width. 37’s tend to rub the stock inner fenders depending on wheel offset. If you are not fully articulating the suspension while turning, it won’t affect you as much as someone who does, and a 13.5 is more likely to rub than a 12.5.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I am running MT legend ms 13.50 37s on 0 offset wheels, 3” lift (over Sasquatch) & JKS clearance kit…no problems…mileage did go to crap…i do like the extra tire width…
Ford Bronco Choosing new tires - 37 x 12.5 or 37 x 13.5? IMG_3046
calling Otis Here you go....

OP
OP

Otis

Wildtrak
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scout
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
With 3.5" lift you'll have no problem running 37x13.5
13.5 better for snow and sand
Maybe let your 4WD shop pick the wheel offset - around zero offset is prob good. This plus the tires will increase your width about 3 to 4 inches. Poke about 1.5 to 2 inches

For tires don't forget Yokohama Geolander.
BFG's are only 36.5 and overrated imo - I wouldn't consider them

Good website to compare tires :

37X13.50R17

37X12.50R17
Thanks for that. Actually I’ve seen the bad reviews here of the BFGs, and have been planning to scratch them off the list.

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Skinnier tires are not just easier to fit. Testing shows that skinnier tires are also better at climbing over obstacles.

But they don’t look as good on instagram!

Sponsored
OP
OP

Otis

Wildtrak
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scout
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
With 3.5" lift you'll have no problem running 37x13.5
13.5 better for snow and sand
Maybe let your 4WD shop pick the wheel offset - around zero offset is prob good. This plus the tires will increase your width about 3 to 4 inches. Poke about 1.5 to 2 inches

For tires don't forget Yokohama Geolander.
BFG's are only 36.5 and overrated imo - I wouldn't consider them

Good website to compare tires :

37X13.50R17

37X12.50R17
Those links are great, thanks again. As for offset, it looks like all the Black Rhino wheels I’ve been eyeing offer either a -10 or 38mm offset. Wondering which way to go. If I go with 38mm, I think that will eat up most of my “poke,” though there still may be a little. I’m thinking that’s preferable to adding another -10 of poke, which may start to be a bit much on top of the ~2 inches poke I may already have there.

What do you think?

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Those links are great, thanks again. As for offset, it looks like all the Black Rhino wheels I’ve been eyeing offer either a -10 or 38mm offset. Wondering which way to go. If I go with 38mm, I think that will eat up most of my “poke,” though there still may be a little. I’m thinking that’s preferable to adding another -10 of poke, which may start to be a bit much on top of the ~2 inches poke I may already have there.

What do you think?
+38mm is more inside than stock Sasquatch offset and will probably rub the inner fenders and might even contact your upper ball joint. -10 is a lot of poke but only about 3/8” more than a 0 offset wheel. . You can run wheel spacers but I would shop for somewhere between +12mm and 0 offset. There are lots of different brands of wheels that have close to an ideal offset.
Fuel wheels have similar styles to Rhino.

Last edited:

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

+38mm is close to stock Sasquatch offset and will probably rub the inner fenders and might even contact your upper ball joint. -10 is a lot of poke but only about 3/8” more than a 0 offset wheel. . You can run wheel spacers but I would shop for somewhere between +12mm and 0 offset. There are lots of different brands of wheels that have close to an ideal offset.
Fuel wheels have similar styles to Rhino.
If I am interpreting what you are saying correctly I think you will find the amount of "poke" to be the opposite.... a + offset pushes the wheel/tire out board. a - offset pulls the wheel/tire inboard.

Stock SASQ wheel offset is -30... A zero offset pushes the wheel/tire outboard about 1.2 inches.
A + 38 pushes the wheel/tire outboard out about 2.7 inches from stock.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Remember that
If I am interpreting what you are saying correctly I think you will find the amount of "poke" to be the opposite.... a + offset pushes the wheel/tire out board. a - offset pulls the wheel/tire inboard.

Stock SASQ wheel offset is -30... A zero offset pushes the wheel/tire outboard about 1.2 inches.
A + 38 pushes the wheel/tire outboard out about 2.7 inches from stock.
Ford Bronco Choosing new tires - 37 x 12.5 or 37 x 13.5? IMG_0873