Sponsored

Built Ford Tough? What a joke! Shocks that rust out...

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you, how do I send a private message with the information requested? Appreciate you reaching out.
Ford Bronco Built Ford Tough? What a joke! Shocks that rust out... 1699471285951

Warning, the Ford-Intern-Bot is regarded as fairly useless around here unless you are needing some comments/likes on posted pictures.
Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I understand your frustration, completely do. Fault the dealer, service manager or whomever but unfortunately, right or wrong they are following the warranty and policy manual. Ford doesn't cover rust, never has, never will. Below is a blurb from the warranty and policy manual unfortunately. What is unfortunate is you live in a corrosion state and I am sure you more than likely drive in the winter salted roads.

So right or wrong your fight is with Ford (800-392-3673), not the dealer you want to beat up. Take it from me, I know first hand. They are just doing their job. If they replace it they eat it and yes, they eat it at full pop when it gets charged back from Ford which isn't fair either.

Not siding with Ford just stating the ugly fact unfortunately. The dealer hasn't done anything wrong (from what I read).

The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover the following:

Underbody surface rust on frame or chassis components on vehicles reported as sold.
Nah, this is 100% a dealership issue.
Had they actually reached out to Ford to help their customer, Ford wouldn't have given some BS response of "It's a wear item only covered under 1 year/12k", because we all know that isn't accurate. So you can claim they were following the warranty and policy manual, but rust isn't even the reasoning the dealership (or supposedly Ford) gave for denying it.

Now if the dealership claimed that Ford denied it due to rust, then I'd be more inclined to agree with you.

We've already warrantied one of these with no push back from Ford, as have many other dealerships from all the reports of these things falling off.

Luckylat

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Expedition, 2013 VW Wagon, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
We need more info from the OP. He say he has one of the first Bronco’s ever made, so a very good chance he is well over 36K miles.

Plus he lives in an area that uses salt on the roads. Reminder to see the B6G thread from Zach at Granger about the screaming deal on extended warranty if purchased in November.
Living in the NE, one winter of salt on the roads will begin to eat away at any metal that is unprotected or marginally protected. Compound that with 2 or more years, metal will rust away. I have to agree that this would be considered part of normal wear & tear. Take preventative measures to protect the undercarriage: Undercoating such as Woolwax, Fluid Film, etc.

Tabman10

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No, this isn't "normal wear and tear". This is bad welding process or possibly defective materials (if it is Chinesium Steel Alloy). If all welds gave out after a year or three in the salt, then car frames and many other parts would be falling apart pretty frequently.

2023bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No, this isn't "normal wear and tear". This is bad welding process or possibly defective materials (if it is Chinesium Steel Alloy). If all welds gave out after a year or three in the salt, then car frames and many other parts would be falling apart pretty frequently.
Exactly right. Anybody remember the Toyota frame replacement program?

Sponsored

HOSSMAN

Badlands
First Name
HOSS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2022 BMW X3 M-SPORT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would argue that this is much more than surface rust.
I completely agree with you...what I am saying is that is how "Ford" gets out of covering things. Again like I said in the post, I am not siding with Ford, I am simply stating what is written in the W&P manual right or wrong it is the bible we live by. Regardless of what is or is not normal the fact that any rust is present is a way for Ford to decline it and charge back the dealership. Now if a dealer wants to help, and some will that is up to them. But with all the battles I've fought they are pretty black and white. Call Ford not being an a$$hole and I have seen them help many people with situations like yours. Just my .02. I just hate hearing how bad dealers are, there are good ones but nobody posts about them often or how the dealer was awesome and helped them. Get pissed and tell 10 to tell 10 more....happy and tell nobody.

HOSSMAN

Badlands
First Name
HOSS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2022 BMW X3 M-SPORT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nah, this is 100% a dealership issue.
Had they actually reached out to Ford to help their customer, Ford wouldn't have given some BS response of "It's a wear item only covered under 1 year/12k", because we all know that isn't accurate. So you can claim they were following the warranty and policy manual, but rust isn't even the reasoning the dealership (or supposedly Ford) gave for denying it.

Now if the dealership claimed that Ford denied it due to rust, then I'd be more inclined to agree with you.

We've already warrantied one of these with no push back from Ford, as have many other dealerships from all the reports of these things falling off.
I must have missed through all the bashing the 12/12 but in the end if you are in the dealership setting as it appears you are than you know how Ford is. Rust, regardless of anything else isn't covered period, Ford will hang their hat on that small detail. Maybe it's different in the Northern states but I know in the South I have never in over 22 years gotten a rust claim covered even on a failed component from salt water or anything else "unless" there is a bulletin/recall or something pertaining to it to cover it.

Only thing I would have done differently is send images via the VIN in DDAP with Ford and let warranty make the real call before work was done. If they approve than it is golden, if they decline well than you know your answer.

OP, ask your dealer if he opened a case with DDAP via your VIN, that IS Ford warranty direct in OASIS.

Again, my post wasn't to take sides with anyone as I mentioned, and I also mentioned I don't agree with it. It is to state what policy (right or completely wrong) states which is the bible. Since you are with Ford also I know you too face what I face daily and what I posted is unfortunately truth regardless of 12/12 or 3/36, 5/60 or even ESP. I don't agree with it, but I do disagree with all dealers suck and let the bashing begin. If I had a dollar for every person that walked into my office stating, "I read on the forums..." or something else along those lines of how we suck I could retire on a sportfish in Costa Rica and never return.

I respect everyone's opinion.

Last edited:

Luckylat

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Expedition, 2013 VW Wagon, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Exactly right. Anybody remember the Toyota frame replacement program?
Our 2004 4-Runner frame completely rusted out from NE winters at 10 years and 150,000 miles. Mechanically drive train & engine still had easily another 100,000 in her. Toyota didn’t offer a cent for repairs or replacement for the frame. “Normal wear and corrosion from the salt used during the winter”. Had to scrap it and lesson learned about undercoating if you want your vehicle to last in the NE winters.

2023bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Our 2004 4-Runner frame completely rusted out from NE winters at 10 years and 150,000 miles. Mechanically drive train & engine still had easily another 100,000 in her. Toyota didn’t offer a cent for repairs or replacement for the frame. “Normal wear and corrosion from the salt used during the winter”. Had to scrap it and lesson learned about undercoating if you want your vehicle to last in the NE winters.
There was a major class action settlement with Toyota ($3.4 billion, yes billion) that allowed owners to get their frames replaced.

Sponsored

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hey there. Can you please send over a message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer? I would like to look into your suspension issues on my end.
From time to time you guys appear on this forum, but, when have you guys actually done anything to resolve a situation? All you do is get the owner to give you data, and then tell them you're not actually authorized to make any decisions, and that's where you END it.

CrazyPete

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GMC Denali 2500HD Duramax
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

From time to time you guys appear on this forum, but, when have you guys actually done anything to resolve a situation? All you do is get the owner to give you data, and then tell them you're not actually authorized to make any decisions, and that's where you END it.
Good question. When i had my Ram trucks, there was a "RAMcares" member all over the RAM forums. I had an issue that i posted once, and RAMcares PMed me. Next thing i know, i was talking to her on the phone explaining the issue and she set up an appointment with my local dealership. Even set up a rental (loaner) through the dealership. Somehow she pre-approved the warranty claim with RAM. It couldn't had been any easier.

But wait, it gets better. I had another problem with the same truck with the 4 corner air suspension. Same exact thing happened with that RAMcares person on the forum. Except this time they also extended my oem warranty out to 6yr/80k (with a $100 deductible after the 3yr was up) for free. I shit you not. This was the reason my next 2 trucks were RAM trucks....the customer support i got.

So, the factory Ford forum member on these forums doesn't do much???

🤦

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Good question. When i had my Ram trucks, there was a "RAMcares" member all over the RAM forums. I had an issue that i posted once, and RAMcares PMed me. Next thing i know, i was talking to her on the phone explaining the issue and she set up an appointment with my local dealership. Even set up a rental (loaner) through the dealership. Somehow she pre-approved the warranty claim with RAM. It couldn't had been any easier.

But wait, it gets better. I had another problem with the same truck with the 4 corner air suspension. Same exact thing happened with that RAMcares person on the forum. Except this time they also extended my oem warranty out to 6yr/80k (with a $100 deductible after the 3yr was up) for free. I shit you not. This was the reason my next 2 trucks were RAM trucks....the customer support i got.

So, the factory Ford forum member on these forums doesn't do much???

🤦
Nope .... i've dealt with them twice .... both times they made me repeat everything i posted on the forum and then said they are not authorized to do anything and they would pass along the info!

oh oh oh they did offer to HELP find a dealer near me to solve my issue!

CrazyPete

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GMC Denali 2500HD Duramax
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Nope .... i've dealt with them twice .... both times they made me repeat everything i posted on the forum and then said they are not authorized to do anything and they would pass along the info!

oh oh oh they did offer to HELP find a dealer near me to solve my issue!
Well, that's a big disappointment. I'm not brand loyal at all and teach my kids to be flexible in the same way. So, quality and customer support is the biggest factor for me. If Ford proves, to me, to be lacking in those areas, I'll jump ship without much of a thought. Love the Bronco, or not, i don't care....don't have time for bullshit.

Last edited:

Tabman10

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thinking about this one a little more, the OP (and others that have experienced this) should file NHTSA complaints as well. This could be a serious safety issue, if as the OP said, the shock can give out while underway. It could cause a very dangerous loss of vehicle control under the right circumstances. This could be the explorer tire issue all over again.
Sponsored