Sponsored

Anyone install Foutz Rear Lower Arm Skids on their Bronco Raptor yet?

JohnGalt

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Defender 110
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Curious if anyone’s fully installed the Foutz rear lower arm frame bracket skids on their Bronco Raptor?

I have gotten the drivers on, but I’m not able to get the passenger side on without either removing the gas tank and skid or the rear lower arm link bolt.

anyone? …..anyone? 🤪
Sponsored

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Cool guards! Does Foutz not answer the phone?

IwannaGOfast

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ranger Long Travel, 2014 Cruze Commuter
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I believe some people who did not want to drop the gas tank have cut the head off the bolt with a sawzall then removed the bolt and replaced it with a new one running the bolt the opposite direction.

OP
OP
JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Defender 110
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Cool guards! Does Foutz not answer the phone?
Greg Foutz is actually pretty good about answering email, but never Definitively answers the question.

The question is currently “are you really really really sure the tech installed the passenger skid without either removing the link bolt (they previously removed this bolt and installed it the opposite way to allow removal without dropping the tank on a separate project) OR dropping the gas tank”

The phone has not worked for getting someone who can answer specific questions regarding this skid.

The Foutz skids are stout, but very short install instructions. They are still using the Bronco instructions for installation tin, but have added the Raptor schematics in hopes you won’t read the text I guess.

im just trying to be really really sure before I drop the tank or cut out the link bolt and reverse it with a link bolt. Neither of these are mentioned in the instructions, but seem to be where I’m headed.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Crappy instructions are so... well... crappy.

I'd probably get out the sawzall unless too much vibration from sawing a large/strong bolt might harm a bushing in the joint. Is there a bushing there?

Sponsored
OP
OP
JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Defender 110
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I believe some people who did not want to drop the gas tank have cut the head off the bolt with a sawzall then removed the bolt and replaced it with a new one running the bolt the opposite direction.
thanks for the info

Foutz has suggested that will work but has also insisted that the slid will slip in if you loosen 4 tank skid bolts. I agree it would work, but getting that bolt back in working on the floor by myself isnt the easiest way forward.

Ive tried loosening the gas tank skid way more than they suggest and it won’t go on. not even close.

So it’s either significantly drop the tank (which I’m not sure what will bite me in the a$$ doing that) or cut the link bolt and at least I know what’s going to bite me.

was just hoping to hear someone’s first hand experience before proceeding after I get back from the Raptor Off-Rodeo this weekend.

OP
OP
JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Defender 110
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Crappy instructions are so... well... crappy.

I'd probably get out the sawzall unless too much vibration from sawing a large/strong bolt might harm a bushing in the joint. Is there a bushing there?
Not exposed. I think the sawzall part wont be too bad. Getting the bolt out and back in laying in my back with truck jacked to full droop is the bigger challenge. Not what I bargained for going in. Oh well.

OP
OP
JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Defender 110
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

This video goes over it some. He tried to loosen it and move to the side, but still came up short.
Yeah I know that feeling!

thanks a lot, I’ll check the video and link out. I appreciate the assist!

Canyon Coolers

Wildtrak
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
canyoncoolers.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco, Dodge 2500, Sprinter Van
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Greg Foutz is actually pretty good about answering email, but never Definitively answers the question.

The question is currently “are you really really really sure the tech installed the passenger skid without either removing the link bolt (they previously removed this bolt and installed it the opposite way to allow removal without dropping the tank on a separate project) OR dropping the gas tank”

The phone has not worked for getting someone who can answer specific questions regarding this skid.

The Foutz skids are stout, but very short install instructions. They are still using the Bronco instructions for installation tin, but have added the Raptor schematics in hopes you won’t read the text I guess.

im just trying to be really really sure before I drop the tank or cut out the link bolt and reverse it with a link bolt. Neither of these are mentioned in the instructions, but seem to be where I’m headed.

I dont have the Raptor, but us mortal Bronco folk do have to either remove the gas tank and skid or cut the head off the bolt. It was kind of a bitch, but I cut the head off the bolt. I believe that to be accurate issue for ALL lower control arms on the passenger side. there is also a smaller bolt locator pin, I want to call it, you will be cutting as well. It is tucked up behind the bolt and a little harder to reach but doable.

I try to buy Foutz stuff when the budget allows, but in this particular case I used Metal Cloak.

Sponsored
OP
OP
JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Defender 110
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I dont have the Raptor, but us mortal Bronco folk do have to either remove the gas tank and skid or cut the head off the bolt. It was kind of a bitch, but I cut the head off the bolt. I believe that to be accurate issue for ALL lower control arms on the passenger side. there is also a smaller bolt locator pin, I want to call it, you will be cutting as well. It is tucked up behind the bolt and a little harder to reach but doable.

I try to buy Foutz stuff when the budget allows, but in this particular case I used Metal Cloak.
Thanks. This is helpful to know that it’s a requirement on the Bronco already.

The Raptor Bronco and the Bronco are pretty similar on this install, but with the Raptor version having an even longer upper bracket to try to get past the lower arm bolt.

I’ve already trimmed the flag (or locator pin as you called it) on the bolt, removed the bolt cover etc. All I have left to do the easy part “slip” on the bracket and tighten a couple bolts. haha

I like their stuff a lot, so I give Foutz a 10 on equipment and a 0 on instructions. I wish they (and almost every other aftermarket producer) was more like JCR. Straight forward in depth videos covering everything you need to do. Maybe not showing how hard a particular step may actually be, but not skipping over it either.

Canyon Coolers

Wildtrak
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
canyoncoolers.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco, Dodge 2500, Sprinter Van
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks. This is helpful to know that it’s a requirement on the Bronco already.

The Raptor Bronco and the Bronco are pretty similar on this install, but with the Raptor version having an even longer upper bracket to try to get past the lower arm bolt.

I’ve already trimmed the flag (or locator pin as you called it) on the bolt, removed the bolt cover etc. All I have left to do the easy part “slip” on the bracket and tighten a couple bolts. haha

I like their stuff a lot, so I give Foutz a 10 on equipment and a 0 on instructions. I wish they (and almost every other aftermarket producer) was more like JCR. Straight forward in depth videos covering everything you need to do. Maybe not showing how hard a particular step may actually be, but not skipping over it either.
I agree Foutz knows their sh*t more so then the bigger parts houses, and supporting them, when I can justify it, is my first course of action. I'd also like to see their product pages add more 'why you want this' content.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I wish they (and almost every other aftermarket producer) was more like JCR. Straight forward in depth videos covering everything you need to do. Maybe not showing how hard a particular step may actually be, but not skipping over it either.
Yup, I don't own any Foutz nor JCR stuff yet but I recognize quality install vids when I see them. JCR 👍👍

Last edited:

speedster81

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
OP
OP
JohnGalt

JohnGalt

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Defender 110
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I’ve installed them. The bolt has to come out. Dropping the tank isnt required for that bolt, it’s more so you can slip the Foutz skid into place under the tank skid. You have to remove all but the front one or two bolts on the gas tank skid, then lower the tank quite a ways (maybe 4-6 inches in the rear) to make room to slip it in. i Didn’t have to disconnect fuel lines, but keep an eye on them you don’t want to lower the tank too far! Posted more details on my experience on BroncoRaptor.com after I installed them.

the directions at the time made it sound like sliding the skid in was super easy, it took removing and loosening a lot more bolts, and supporting the tank while lowering it. But not too bad in the end.
Sponsored