Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I know I know I know - but still this is my rookie experience. Driving up to Michigan 75N 80-90 MPH with Skin II lip cover, deflector, hood has lots of play. Had to read up on the mental process of just accepting the aerodynamics of it all! Now I just Don’t look jajaja …side chick rides nice. Just don’t call it comfort…MIA to the motor city !!! Peace and Yippie ki yay MFKS
Sponsored

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I used to be concerned with it but it’s just not gonna happen unless there’s a freak accident

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know I know I know - but still this is my rookie experience. Driving up to Michigan 75N 80-90 MPH with Skin II lip cover, deflector, hood has lots of play. Had to read up on the mental process of just accepting the aerodynamics of it all! Now I just Don’t look jajaja …side chick rides nice. Just don’t call it comfort…MIA to the motor city !!! Peace and Yippie ki yay MFKS
@Dmorty217 is right. I posted about this last year. Here is a quick recap for you and others experiencing this problem.

My hood doesn’t flutter, even with wind gusts and semis passing on the freeway, but I carefully adjusted my hood bump stops, like I do on all my vehicles. Although the hood is fabricated from aluminum, it has honeycomb stiffeners below the skin that increases rigidity. If your hood is properly anchored in all 5 locations (i.e., 2 front bump stops, 2 rear hinges, 1 front latch), I doubt you will notice any flutter. Conventional wisdom about what is “normal” is not always right.

I attached a photo below. In the middle of the photo, next to the hood support rod, is the hood bump stop on the driver’s front corner. There is an another one just like it on the passenger’s front corner. Twist it clockwise or counter-clockwise to adjust it up or down to improve alignment.

You want your hood properly anchored in all 5 locations.

fae5f26e-48aa-4df0-84c6-c1e062632ed8-jpeg.jpg

When the hood is properly anchored, there should be very little movement when you press down on the front corners. The more slop in this adjustment, the easier it will be to close the hood. The less slop in this adjustment, the harder it will be to close the hood.

I am pretty anal about this, so mine is adjusted with so little slop that I have to drop my hood from about 10” to close it, and then it doesn't move on the corners when pressed down. You may not want to remove that much slop, but that’s the secret to achieving zero flutter.

I hope this is helpful. Happy holidays!

Sponsored
OP
OP
JarheadE5

JarheadE5

Black Diamond
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There are two rubber stoppers that can be adjusted to take most of that play away fyi
Thanks
@Dmorty217 is right. I posted about this last year. Here is a quick recap for you and others experiencing this problem.

My hood doesn’t flutter, even with wind gusts and semis passing on the freeway, but I carefully adjusted my hood bump stops, like I do on all my vehicles. Although the hood is fabricated from aluminum, it has honeycomb stiffeners below the skin that increases rigidity. If your hood is properly anchored in all 5 locations (i.e., 2 front bump stops, 2 rear hinges, 1 front latch), I doubt you will notice any flutter. Conventional wisdom about what is “normal” is not always right.

I attached a photo below. In the middle of the photo, next to the hood support rod, is the hood bump stop on the driver’s front corner. There is an another one just like it on the passenger’s front corner. Twist it clockwise or counter-clockwise to adjust it up or down to improve alignment.

fae5f26e-48aa-4df0-84c6-c1e062632ed8-jpeg.jpg

When the hood is properly anchored, there should be very little movement when you press down on the front corners. The more slop in this adjustment, the easier it will be to close the hood. The less slop in this adjustment, the harder it will be to close the hood.

I am pretty anal about this, so mine is adjusted with so little slop that I have to drop my hood from about 10” to close it, and then it doesn't move on the corners when pressed down. You may not want to remove that much slop, but that’s the secret to achieving zero flutter.

W

Ford Bronco Aluminum OEM hood might fly away! fae5f26e-48aa-4df0-84c6-c1e062632ed8-jpe

many thanks for your comments and detailed explanation. Will adjust and revert. Peace!

2023bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah my hood has a warp to it so the driver side front edge sits higher than the passenger. I cranked up the passenger side bumper and lowered the driver as low as possible while minimizing flutter on the driver side.

Crappy hoods. Many of them are bent like this. You can sort of see it in the photo when it was at the factory.

Bronco- Copy.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
JarheadE5

JarheadE5

Black Diamond
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The highest posted speed limit in Michigan is 70mph sooooo maybe you need to adjust a little.
True…🏃
I thought most of us just took these postings as suggestions. 😎
smile and wave boys, smile and wave! Even the wife is hitting 83 mph. Working on that Eco Goat mode average !!!

judgefudge72

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 OBX High Sas
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/hood-flutter-above-65-mph.39734/

I went through this on my first bronco and just accepted/ignore it on my current one. Even got as far as replacing the whole hood.

There’s two different types of hood movement (or flutter) to consider here:

1: Actual hood movement, where the entire hood is moving up and down in the wind. You can check for this by watching the corners near the trail sights for up and down movement. This can be fixed with bump stop and latch adjustment.

2: Flexing of the outer hood skin up and down, usually worse near the center hood bulge. This is caused by poor adhesion of the outer skin to the honeycomb structure. This is what my first bronco had. My dealer wanted to just send it to a body shop to add more adhesive but Ford denied that and approved a new hood instead. The new one was better but still had the same issue. My 2nd and current bronco is about the same as the replacement hood so I just live with it.

Rivian R1’s have a similar issue and Rivian will actually add adhesive between the two layers. Most users on the forums report this solves it.

2023bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Flexing of the outer hood skin up and down, usually worse near the center hood bulge. This is caused by poor adhesion of the outer skin to the honeycomb structure.
I've got that flutter too. Like I said, crappy hoods.
Sponsored