Sponsored

Why no locking fuel fill door on the Bronco ???

Kevin Scarbel

Everglades
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Everglades 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
My Hyundai Elantra GT (Golf-like hatchback) has a very inexpensive and simple "deadbolt" design locking system. Note it's a "no key" design. I appreciate being able to lock out thieves.
I don't appreciate Ford for not providing me with fuel fill door locking functionality on my $55k and $62k MY2024 Broncos.

This video introduces what I'm talking about. A truck engineer by trade, I know that cost is minimal.

Sponsored

Last edited:

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Is gas theft still a thing? I thought we were way past 1974. I'm fine without it but then I'm not in a area known for that type of theft.

Last edited:

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
I bet Ford saw the Wrangler did not have a locking fuel door (no door at all on some trim levels ) so did not have one with no need to compete.

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Is gas theft still a thing? I thought we were way past 1974. I'm fine with out it but then I'm not in a area known for that type of theft.
It is still a thing. My main concern would be vandalism and putting something in the tank. As gas prices go up...likely more theft too.

Sponsored

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thieves drill holes in plastic tanks now. No worries of sparky sparky. They don't bother to siphon the old way. I'd be most worried about some prick adding something to my tank.
This. I have not heard of people still syphoning gas from the fuel door.

If you are worried about people putting stuff in your tank, I would suggest moving.

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow my 2013 GT500 didn't have a locking fuel door nor did my Expedition, Explorer, F150s, Come to think of it I haven't seen a locking fuel door on a Ford in many many years. Why would they start for the Bronco? When the door closes the fuel neck get closed off, when it is opened you need a small funnel included with your purchase to open the little door in the fuel neck. Buy a skid plate for the fuel tank you will be money better spent.

killaz05

Badlands
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands 2.7 Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought the capless systems prevented siphons and such. Thats why you need the special funnel when adding gas from a gas can. Ford isn't the only company to do this and since gas tanks are plastic now, they just drill the tank. I remember a year ago someone had a Wildtrak on here with something similar. They came out to their truck and found it without gas. Here is the thread: PSA: Gas Tank Got Drilled by Gas Thieves [WARNING: NO PROMOTING VIOLENCE or POLITICS] | Bronco6G - 2021+ Ford Bronco & Bronco Raptor Forum, News, Blog & Owners Community

I don't think a lock on your gas cap is your only concern.

Sponsored

BenderSquatch

Big Bend
First Name
Suge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Locking gas caps are not necessary since you cannot siphon gas like in the old days.
Vandals and others adulterating the fuel is the main need for a locking cap.

Read a story about a trailhead where the owner came back from a hike and found the fuel cap door open and an empty Coke bottle by the tire.

He had to have his car towed to drain the tank and the lines coz he didn't want to risk it by starting the engine.

Canadian5.0

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Those locking fuel fill doors are quite easy to just pry open if some idiot wanted to for whatever reason , a aftermarket locking cap that is available for broncos is much better security

Last edited:
OP
OP

Kevin Scarbel

Everglades
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Everglades 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Wow my 2013 GT500 didn't have a locking fuel door nor did my Expedition, Explorer, F150s, Come to think of it I haven't seen a locking fuel door on a Ford in many many years. Why would they start for the Bronco? When the door closes the fuel neck get closed off, when it is opened you need a small funnel included with your purchase to open the little door in the fuel neck. Buy a skid plate for the fuel tank you will be money better spent.
Because it's a good idea, very low cost and most customers would appreciate it.

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Because nobody expects there to be any gas left in the tank to steal on these things 🤣 😱😳😁:LOL:😢

But seriously, it's a cost savings thing for sure, because if you have a door that locks, then you need an emergency release cable in case it fails and all these things cost money, and Ford doesn't like giving people anything that costs money and Broncos are very expensive to begin with and and and money.

With that said, I would prefer a locking door just for peace of mind but at the end of the day, I choose not think about it, like Anti Matter Blue and a Black Mod Hard Top ...

Msell71

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 84 SVO, 66 2+2
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I am so thankful some pencil pusher thought a locking fuel door would add unnecessary costs. I hate those things. My 84 SVO has one. What a pita.
Sponsored