Sponsored

Why no limited slip differential option?

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I get Broncos are made for off road. Bought mine as a new beach buggy as I work up and down beaches fishing many a night every year. However, we all drive the Bronco on road (many most of the time) and I explained how LS would be a nice option on pavement when in 2H.
Have you actually had a situation in which there was slip that you thought an LS would have helped? My assumption is the electronic nannies stepped in first.
Sponsored

OP
OP
FordFamily4Fun

FordFamily4Fun

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'10 Escape, '16 Explorer, '22 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Have you actually had a situation in which there was slip that you thought an LS would have helped? My assumption is the electronic nannies stepped in first.
Nope. But I'd like to have it if needed. Since my off road is beach driving fishing much of the year, I don't really need a locking rear diff, but nice to know I have it if I need it. Also, a LS would probably be more handy on sand than a diff, though I gave a 2H pavement example for a LS.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Because all the new vehicles have multiple computer controlled traction aids that do more than just adjust for limited loss of traction. You may or may not like them, but it is the new standard.
And as a result, my son's 20 year old POS Frontier performs better on our dirt road than my new Bronco. As did my last two Mustangs.

It's absolutely ridiculous we don't have a limited-slip rear end on these things.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nope. But I'd like to have it if needed. Since my off road is beach driving fishing much of the year, I don't really need a locking rear diff, but nice to know I have it if I need it. Also, a LS would probably be more handy on sand than a diff, though I gave a 2H pavement example for a LS.
For sand I'd rather have a locker.

On pavement if I get some slippage I'm also going to tap the locker on and then off when I'm good.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I watched a non SAS Bronco lift a rear tire and spin helplessly while the lady was parking in a mild grass ditch to watch a parade. It was sickening to watch as jeep people laughed. It wouldn’t have happened with a LS rear diff. Eventually she put it in 4wd, but sheesh how embarrassing.

Sponsored

FoxFour281

Black Diamond
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 02 Expedition EB
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Eh, clutch packs end up wearing out overtime with aggressive driving. I'm fine with having a locker only.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Eh, clutch packs end up wearing out overtime with aggressive driving. I'm fine with having a locker only.
Yes it’s pretty easy to smoke a clutch pack if you happen to break one tire loose and keep it hammered. I used to shim mine tighter so they were actually noisy when turning, but that’s not something the average user does.

But my Explorer has over 300k and the stock LS 8.8 diff still functions fine.

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Older truck but as an example we had a 2015 F150 2wd with an e-locker.

During one winter event it would be stuck at every stop until I clicked on the locker. The locker turned off at some low speed so I had turn it back on again and again.
A LSD would have worked just fine in that situation. OTOH, I would have screwed if I had to rely on the BLD/ traction control.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I watched a non SAS Bronco lift a rear tire and spin helplessly while the lady was parking in a mild grass ditch to watch a parade. It was sickening to watch as jeep people laughed. It wouldn’t have happened with a LS rear diff. Eventually she put it in 4wd, but sheesh how embarrassing.
So operator error...

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sponsored

Old Codger

Wildtrak
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have a slightly different take. The way Ford has positioned the Wildtrak as the high speed desert runner trim it is screaming for Torsen front diff just like they've been using on the Raptors for years. That way, those of us whose drive home requires miles of rough ass roads that are covered in snow for several months each year don't want to engage a front locker and thereby lose the ability to, you know, steer.

I don't see a good argument for rear LS except for non-locker trims.

Front lockers have their place in other off road applications. No argument there.

If a Torsen drop in were available I would gladly put one in my Wildtrak and consider it an upgrade. I understand the electronics can achieve similar effects, I have much more confidence in the Torsen diff based on many years of driving a Raptor than I do Bronco electronics.

I'm not holding my breath waiting on a Torsen drop in. Mechanically it's simple, interfacing with all the electronics not so much.

OP
OP
FordFamily4Fun

FordFamily4Fun

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
For sand I'd rather have a locker.

On pavement if I get some slippage I'm also going to tap the locker on and then off when I'm good.
I have been driving sand for decades 150-200 times a year fishing. Never had a locker until now. No real prob, but LS helped. The few times I got stuck and recovered a locker may (again may) have done the trick, so happy I have one now. In my OP my point was on pavement in 2H something slick may sneak up on you. LS is always on. No time to turn on a locker.

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
When I was reading everything I could about the Bronco, I was thinking the same stuff being posted.

My conclusion was that in 4Auto, along with traction control, the electronics probably has you covered. No, not the same thing, but I'm guessing Ford's thinking was that it shouldn't be needed with the tech.
One more reason I really wanted 4A.

fiatlux

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo V60 T8 Polestar Engineered
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
An LSD would be nice; Jeep includes it on the Willys trim as a cheaper alternative to the rear locker in the Rubicon. That said, the BD (which is most comparable to the Willys trim in the lineup hierarchy) already comes with a rear locker, so the inclusion would just be for base or BB which would raise the price.

OP
OP
FordFamily4Fun

FordFamily4Fun

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
When I was reading everything I could about the Bronco, I was thinking the same stuff being posted.

My conclusion was that in 4Auto, along with traction control, the electronics probably has you covered. No, not the same thing, but I'm guessing Ford's thinking was that it shouldn't be needed with the tech.
One more reason I really wanted 4A.
Agreed. But I will say I have 4A. I don't use it all the time on pavement. Only in very slick conditions. Very heavy rain. Conditions where pavement may turn into snow. So, I generally use 2H on pavement. You never know if you will drive into something slick and and LS is always on on the rear axle that is providing power in 2H. But I agree Ford figured 4A was not only an alternative, but a better one if being used and needed. For it to work though, you have to drive around in 4A all the time. LS is always on and out sight and mind.
Sponsored