Sponsored

Why no limited slip differential option?

FordFamily4Fun

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'10 Escape, '16 Explorer, '22 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I get Ford probably thinks you can option Advanced 4x4 (4A) and it is thus a version of AWD and better than limited slip on rear axle only. Still, I think it would be nice to have a LS option when in 2H and may hit a surprise slick road surface in rain or snow (LS is made to be always on). I get traction control helps there, but if you don't have 4A option, some might want limited slip on 2H that can also be used in 4H/4L if you don't have a locker on a BB. I'm assuming Ford considers 4A their LS option. I have 4A and use it in heavy rain and snow, but otherwise 2H. It would be nice to know I had LS if something slick snuck up on me on otherwise dry pavement in 2H.
Sponsored

OP
OP
FordFamily4Fun

FordFamily4Fun

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'10 Escape, '16 Explorer, '22 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Limited slip is great for the street but these are off road vehicles.

If you need limited slip in the dirt you just lock the axle.
I get Broncos are made for off road. Bought mine as a new beach buggy as I work up and down beaches fishing many a night every year. However, we all drive the Bronco on road (many most of the time) and I explained how LS would be a nice option on pavement when in 2H.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
I get Broncos are made for off road. Bought mine as a new beach buggy as I work up and down beaches many a night every year. However, we all drive the Bronco on road (many most of the time) and I explained how LS would be a nice option on pavement when in 2H.
Most of my off-roading involves snow and ice, I would've much preferred limited slip, the locker is better than nothing.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Because all the new vehicles have multiple computer controlled traction aids that do more than just adjust for limited loss of traction. You may or may not like them, but it is the new standard.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You know that it emulates an lsd using differential braking (for lack of a better term) to an extent.

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I think it just comes down to money. A LSD is another item to engineer, another assembly line process, and another inventory item.

I would have liked to see a LSD option in the lower trims. I had JK with a LSD and it was great in the snow. With 35's and the LSD it was good for 5" inches of snow in 2WD.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Meh - I don’t except every single thing to be offered from the factory.

Takes the fun out of modding it yourself

I do wish the non-locker ring wasn’t welded to the carrier though… that was just mean

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would have preferred Detroit lockers or Truetrack. Something that doesn’t require electronics. But it is what it is, I suppose.

Sponsored

Calypso

Heritage
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Heritage, Cadillac CTS
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I do wish the non-locker ring wasn’t welded to the carrier though… that was just mean
Until I learned this, my original reservation was Big Bend w/rear locker option and advanced transfer case only. Mean on Ford's part, and devious too!

Very pleased with the Heritage, tho. All's well that ends well.

TRACKTOY

Badlands
First Name
ANDRÉ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 LARIAT CREW C. 3.5L ÉCO 2022+ BRONCO BL.2023
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry but not a real stage fright, But a GLEASON TORSEN WHICH IS A MUCH BETTER CHOICE. Stronger and with differentiation in the torque for the right and left wheel is used in FORD F150 RAPTOR AT THE FRONT, MERCEDES AUDI, BMW CENTRAL perfect for the rear ALWAYS IN OPERATION. Adds lots of traction in the curves and quite strong.cause spur gear inside. go check before buying for the best. I tried all the brands and except the DÉTROY LOCKER I broke them all, especially the TRUE TRACK with poor desing.
TRACKTOY

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
I know Wranglers used to (or maybe still do) have a clutch based LSD option. My brother had it and it self destroyed, although he never took it off road. It was replaced under warranty. The Bronco might be too heavy for a clutch based LSD.

I tend to buy the base models and build them myself when it comes to off road vehicles so I had the base 2012 Wrangler and added TrueTracs to both front and rear diffs. They worked amazingly well.

This time I bought the base Bronco but optioned it with the SAS package because for the cost of the package, there was no way I could've built it myself. Sadly Ford saw this and now the cheapest V6 2 door SAS available is $13k more than what I paid...

I disagree with the reason for a lack of LSD is that the Bronco is an "off-road vehicle" , as much as this will bring out the butthurt in many, it will mostly go to the grocery store, carry family around to school, malls and road trips. Ford knows this, just look at the size of the OEM tie-rods...

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sorry but not a real stage fright, But a GLEASON TORSEN WHICH IS A MUCH BETTER CHOICE. Stronger and with differentiation in the torque for the right and left wheel is used in FORD F150 RAPTOR AT THE FRONT, MERCEDES AUDI, BMW CENTRAL perfect for the rear ALWAYS IN OPERATION. Adds lots of traction in the curves and quite strong.cause spur gear inside. go check before buying for the best. I tried all the brands and except the DÉTROY LOCKER I broke them all, especially the TRUE TRACK with poor desing.
TRACKTOY
My BRZ has a Torsen rear diff (and electronic traction control if needed but can be fully disabled). I like the performance of the diff and it's generally well regarded in the community. I think an LSD would be the ticket for most Bronco owners given how the vehicle is often used.

The Bronco manually operated lockers are mostly useless on pavement, and in some cases worse than leaving open with electronic traction control. For certain types of aggressive off-roading, the manual lockers are a nice feature, but otherwise mostly wasted.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m of the opinion any 4wd or AWD vehicle should (at least) have a limited slip rear diff. Seems silly not to. My 98 AWD Explorer has a limited slip rear diff and it is surprisingly capable.
Growing up in rural Missouri, my Dad who was a rural mail carrier always ran a 2wd vehicle with limited slip diff and studded snow tires in the winter. Rarely any place he couldn’t go.
Sponsored