Sponsored

Why no limited slip differential option?

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Agreed. But I will say I have 4A. I don't use it all the time on pavement. Only in very slick conditions. Very heavy rain. Conditions where pavement may turn into snow. So, I generally use 2H on pavement. You never know if you will drive into something slick and and LS is always on on the rear axle that is providing power in 2H. But I agree Ford figured 4A was not only an alternative, but a better one if being used and needed. For it to work though, you have to drive around in 4A all the time. LS is always on and out sight and mind.
Ain't nothing stopped you from putting a beloved LS on your Bronco.
Sponsored

brkdncr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

As much as I love a torsion diff, it would only increase the cost of all Broncos due to overhead and maintenance , with only a few people really gaining its usage.

I don’t recommend clutchpack lsds. 4A is more serviceable.

OP
OP
FordFamily4Fun

FordFamily4Fun

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'10 Escape, '16 Explorer, '22 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ain't nothing stopped you from putting a beloved LS on your Bronco.
Also ain't nothing stopping me from putting a front locker on my BD that comes with a rear one. I'm just pointing out that I think it would have been nice for Ford to have an "option" for LS on the Bronco (I had an option for a front locker on my BD with SAS). Jeep offers LS as an option and Ford sought to copy and improve upon the Wrangler with the Bronco.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Agreed. But I will say I have 4A. I don't use it all the time on pavement. Only in very slick conditions. Very heavy rain. Conditions where pavement may turn into snow. So, I generally use 2H on pavement. You never know if you will drive into something slick and and LS is always on on the rear axle that is providing power in 2H. But I agree Ford figured 4A was not only an alternative, but a better one if being used and needed. For it to work though, you have to drive around in 4A all the time. LS is always on and out sight and mind.
Which is why I always drive around in 4A. It works great and I have 93k miles on my transfer case.

OP
OP
FordFamily4Fun

FordFamily4Fun

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Which is why I always drive around in 4A. It works great and I have 93k miles on my transfer case.
Can you set it to 4A default or do you have to hit a button on the steering wheel to stay in 4A each time you start the Bronco? That's one annoyance for me, but perhaps I am missing something. I have an Explorer that is AWD only. I just get in and drive.

Sponsored

Tripodbruno

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma(no more) F-250, Hiker Trailer, Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

An LSD would be nice; Jeep includes it on the Willys trim as a cheaper alternative to the rear locker in the Rubicon. That said, the BD (which is most comparable to the Willys trim in the lineup hierarchy) already comes with a rear locker, so the inclusion would just be for base or BB which would raise the price.
FYI, Willys for 2024 now has a rear locker standard.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Can you set it to 4A default or do you have to hit a button on the steering wheel to stay in 4A each time you start the Bronco? That's one annoyance for me, but perhaps I am missing something. I have an Explorer that is AWD only. I just get in and drive.
I just press the ok button as part of my startup routine. I tried to deprogram normal and eco mode, but it freaks out if you remove normal mode.

There might be a way to program it to stay in 4A, but 4A is the default in sport mode, so I just run sport mode all the time. It gets better mileage in sport mode anyway.

OP
OP
FordFamily4Fun

FordFamily4Fun

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just press the ok button as part of my startup routine. I tried to deprogram normal and eco mode, but it freaks out if you remove normal mode.

There might be a way to program it to stay in 4A, but 4A is the default in sport mode, so I just run sport mode all the time. It gets better mileage in sport mode anyway.
Ok, so here is my advice to Ford for the Bronco. In upcoming model years have a "custom" setting so you can start the Bronco in whatever mode you want - whatever combination of 2H, 4H, 4A, slippery, sport - whatever you prefer and use most upon starting. I think that would be a huge seller.
Sponsored