Sponsored

Whats your favorite GOAT mode to wheel in?

Rumbloki

Badlands
First Name
Alton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2, 1973 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last edited:

Rumbloki

Badlands
First Name
Alton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2, 1973 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ā€˜1928 model A, ā€œ23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Iā€™m sure they have advantages but being a computer dummy I pretty much use normal or slippery and punch the buttons I wantā€¦may try to add rock mode if I find someone willing to help with forscan that knows how to use itā€¦

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Normal mode, normally. Consistently using Normal allows me to learn how the Bronco reacts to inputs so I con learn and modulate my use of gearing, throttle, brake and steering. I have used Slippery in extreme icy conditions, (absolutely kills throttle and shifting) and Sport in curvy steep mountains for the more agressive up and downshiting. Off road ,Normal with appropriate drive/range/locker selection. I dont like to use all my bullets at once(leaving locker disengaged til needed). Ive used Mud and Ruts with no significant pros or cons. I tried Sand once and found it too aggressive. I would like to try Sand in deep snow as the OM suggests, but haven't had the opportunity. I usually run the auto in M when in 4L to maximize control.

Sponsored

RedShiftWT81650

Wildtrak
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 jku
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Slippery mode has been a go to for rock crawling for me, if thereā€™s a challenging section I switch it for 4lo.. but thereā€™s a continuum of 2h/4h/4lo based on conditionsā€¦ if I need trail cam I switch to 4lo. Iā€™ll be adding rock crawl mode with forscan soon and also adding the sta-bar disconnect to a upfitter switch soon as wellā€¦

MillerAndCheeto

Wildtrak
First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Cyber Orange Wildtrak Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Obviously it depends on what terrain you are wheeling in, but I found one mode in particular that I really like. Sand mode.

For some reason Sand mode seems to check all the boxes in terms of throttle response, trans shift schedules and 4wd management. I was out this last weekend in a mixture of sand, mud and some rock and I kept going back to sand mode no matter what I was in.

Might be completely circumstantial, but it was by accident I landed in sand mode. Was trying to get into baja for some quick runs across a deep sandy part of trail, and sand mode seemed to do better. Same with the muddy parts we were in. Sand mode. By the end of the day, I had set it and forget it in sand mode by quite a few hours.

Mud mode was fine but the trans felt weird. It couldnt figure out what gear it wanted to be in when I was just putting along at a static throttle pedal.

But I was curious what mode you all like or have a go-to GOAT mode when wheeling in your favorite part of the trails?

1715281202742-0c.png
Mud and Ruts is basically the only mode I use.

SROC3

Big Bend
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Sand mode is fun - but I LOVE Baja Mode and ripping down at 45 to 70 mph.

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Obviously it depends on what terrain you are wheeling in, but I found one mode in particular that I really like. Sand mode.

For some reason Sand mode seems to check all the boxes in terms of throttle response, trans shift schedules and 4wd management. I was out this last weekend in a mixture of sand, mud and some rock and I kept going back to sand mode no matter what I was in.

Might be completely circumstantial, but it was by accident I landed in sand mode. Was trying to get into baja for some quick runs across a deep sandy part of trail, and sand mode seemed to do better. Same with the muddy parts we were in. Sand mode. By the end of the day, I had set it and forget it in sand mode by quite a few hours.

Mud mode was fine but the trans felt weird. It couldnt figure out what gear it wanted to be in when I was just putting along at a static throttle pedal.

But I was curious what mode you all like or have a go-to GOAT mode when wheeling in your favorite part of the trails?

1715281202742-0c.png

[/QUO
based on terrain period lol

Sponsored

RimrockPaul

Base
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Base

1715281202742-0c.png
I don't use GOAT modes. Just pick 2h or 4h or 4L. I have base with stick.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Slippery mode has been a go to for rock crawling for me, if thereā€™s a challenging section I switch it for 4lo.. but thereā€™s a continuum of 2h/4h/4lo based on conditionsā€¦ if I need trail cam I switch to 4lo. Iā€™ll be adding rock crawl mode with forscan soon and also adding the sta-bar disconnect to a upfitter switch soon as wellā€¦
Slippery for rock crawling, tell me more. What does it do? How does it act in Slippery 4L?

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mud and Ruts is my absolute favorite. It keeps pretty much everything normal, with a bit softer steering, and my cameras available. It lets me go between 4H and 4L, rear lockers on or off, sway bar on or off, and mostly do whatever I want.
It's where I do a huge majority of my offroading.
I'll switch to Rock Crawl if I need both front and rear lockers available.
(Recently happened mid obstacle, had to switch from mud/ruts to rock crawl, and engage both lockers, I love this thing, because it did it wonderfully!)

If I'm going faster than 50 or doing some desert running, I switch to Baja just for the shift points and steering.

On road, depends on my mood and how heavy my foot is that day.
I'm usually in sport mode / 2H.

Just my personal preferences - yours will vary.
Have fun, experiment with the GOAT modes, or try using none at all, and see what fits your drive style.

RedShiftWT81650

Wildtrak
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 jku
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Slippery for rock crawling, tell me more. What does it do? How does it act in Slippery 4L?
it has a reduced throttle response, which, seems to me, is good for smooth crawling, according to the chart on the first page, it also softens the shifting of the transmission (seems to be smoother even in 4Lo, which traditionally 4Lo can have rough shift points due to torque).. by default the lockers are off so if I find myself in spot where tires do spin (soft ground or loose rocks) I can throw the rear locker on and make it through. Granted, like most of us, Iā€™m still exploring the different modes and Iā€™m looking forward to diving deeper into sand mode per some of the recommendations/comments here. Iā€™m also more of a donā€™t use it til you need it, so having the lockers off in slippery by default is good peace of mind, lockers are great when needed but are also a great way to break drivetrain parts, lots of binding with lockers on. Although Iā€™d love to see how different the rock crawling is with steering set to ā€œtightā€..
Sponsored