Sponsored

What's up with most of the take-off wheels and tires being sold as a set of 4?

tractorcrusher

Black Diamond
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've been looking for a take-off set of wheels and tires for my Bronco and it seems like everywhere I look there are people listing them as a set of 4, not 5. Are people upgrading their wheels and tires but not the spare? Or is it tire shops that are keeping the extra wheel/tire? I just don't see the point of offering a set for sale if it's only 4, not 5.

I'm limited to browsing for a set either on here or on craigslist as I don't want a facebook account just for marketplace, but the pickings are awfully slim.
Sponsored

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Have you tried contacting somebody offering four wheels to ask where the fifth one is? You might be able to get five that way.

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ā€˜1928 model A, ā€œ23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Iā€™m not buying a fifth wheel and tire just to hang on the backā€¦tire does not need to Match to get ya homeā€¦my ā€˜80 CJ7 running 38ā€s had the original unused spare on it when I sold it 15 years agoā€¦

Neps

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MX-5, Focus EV, F150, F350, Scout II (2)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't think I've seen a set of fewer than 5 for sale. Perhaps it's a regional thing?

Edit, just looked thru the Member Marketplace- Wheels, Tires, Brakes and didn't see a set of OEM take offs with less than 5. Might have been a some, but I didn't see any.

Last edited:

Dog

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I suspect most people spending big dollars to upgrade wheels and tires don't want to spring for the 5th set. I did, and sold my takeoffs as a set of 5, but that seems to be the exception.

Sponsored

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been looking for a take-off set of wheels and tires for my Bronco and it seems like everywhere I look there are people listing them as a set of 4, not 5. Are people upgrading their wheels and tires but not the spare? Or is it tire shops that are keeping the extra wheel/tire? I just don't see the point of offering a set for sale if it's only 4, not 5.

I'm limited to browsing for a set either on here or on craigslist as I don't want a facebook account just for marketplace, but the pickings are awfully slim.
Hey Curtis. I have a set of 5 Badlands take-offs. Wheels only.
EDIT: $600 for the set. We could meet in Corsicana.

Last edited:

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From what I understand, running different diameter tires on the powered hub is hard on the differential. So if you up the tires but keep the stock spare, you should only put it on the front and stay out of 4WD when you do.

I understand saving a few hundred bucks, but I don't understand spending $3000 on 4 wheel/tires and not $3600 on 5.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

From what I understand, running different diameter tires on the powered hub is hard on the differential. So if you up the tires but keep the stock spare, you should only put it on the front and stay out of 4WD when you do.

I understand saving a few hundred bucks, but I don't understand spending $3000 on 4 wheel/tires and not $3600 on 5.
Compact spares which have been around for 50 years are no worse on a differential than matched....if you follow directions of no more than 50 mph for no more than 50 miles.

My other vehicle does not even have a spare. Run flats.

And for some of us, just a small.number I gather, our 5th wheel has never been off the tailgate. And knock on wood will stay there.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Compact spares which have been around for 50 years are no worse on a differential than matched....if you follow directions of no more than 50 mph for no more than 50 miles.
On a sports car that I owned a few years back, if you got a flat rear tire, you had to put the space saver on the front, then move the front (same diameter) to the rear so that you could drive. It would absolutely screw up the limited slip differential if you put the small tire on the rear and drove it that way.

I'm keeping the full size matching spare on my Bronco, because I'm most likely to get a flat tire out in the middle of nowhere where I need to drive many miles and will likely need 4-wheel-drive to get out. Those of you who never take your Bronco off road can stick with the other spare tire options.

Gratuitous photo of my Bronco somewhere that I would need a full-size spare:
asgCFju.jpg

Sponsored

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ā€˜1928 model A, ā€œ23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If they made a 37ā€ compact spare I would hauling that aroundā€¦but Donā€™t worry much about open diff with different sizes to get home (I once did the rubicon with 5.38s in the back and 4.88s in the front without breaking anything) and hauling around less Weight is always a good thingā€¦

Canyon Coolers

Wildtrak
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
canyoncoolers.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco, Dodge 2500, Sprinter Van
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

People, (well middle class at least) don't have near as much cash as they did even two years ago.

Billy Goat

Wildtrak
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Velociraptor 400
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
North Texas Factory Takeoffs in Hurst, they have them on occasion. But, you'd do better trading here.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Unfortunately, it seems that that majority of secondary sales are now conducted on FB rather than CL nowadays. However, you are able to browse the marketplace without an account. I do it all the time. Then when I find something I am interested in I send the link to the wife for her to message the seller with my phone number. A quick glance at Bronco wheels in our locale shows a bunch and most with 5 wheels.

Ford Bronco What's up with most of the take-off wheels and tires being sold as a set of 4? 1712091366842-be
Sponsored