First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This is a user fail. Using a tow strap like a kinetic. I am not at all surprised the bumper failed.
the owner stated earlier that it was a kinetic strap and the bolts relieved themselves of the frame

Greekbull

Raptor
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor...shopping
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Very informative topic. I'm leaning toward going with the Maxlider Winch Bumper which is made by ADD. Would love to strengthen it as best as possible. I like that the Winch sits lower than any other bumper I've seen. I don't like the look or the idea of the Winch sitting above the bumper.

Greekbull

Raptor
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor...shopping
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Wowzers. After my experiences with our frame horns I'm not terribly surprised, but man that sucks.

Yeah sorry, I've paused production for the foreseeable future. My manufacturing costs are too high and they are too labor intensive on my end to offer at a fair price. In the meanwhile I encourage everyone to get something, even the LOD brackets would likely have saved this, although there might still have been some bending.
Question if you don't mind answering? What kind of high cost are we talking about with the increased manufacturing costs? With most of us spending in many cases $3-$5K+ on these winch bumpers it might be something we would all be willing to pay for a save reliable setup. Just something to consider. Really appreciate you mindset of course with trying to provide these at a good price point.

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Question if you don't mind answering? What kind of high cost are we talking about with the increased manufacturing costs? With most of us spending in many cases $3-$5K+ on these winch bumpers it might be something we would all be willing to pay for a save reliable setup. Just something to consider. Really appreciate you mindset of course with trying to provide these at a good price point.
Honesty I'd have to be somewhere around $350 a set to bring them back. In my mind at that point it makes sense to spend a tad more and jump up to the Lobo braces.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DewarT

DewarT

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
the winch above the bumper is common on many tried and true bumper designs and if the bumper is designed for it, it will not fail. Aesthetics is an individual thing and sometimes it doesn’t look right.

The Lobo off-road support is a good design, if you want to hack away at some of the factory frame. The tricky-mike brackets were a simple bolt on Without frame mods. I will personally go with the Lobo parts when I decide on a bumper, but a lot f owners may not want to hack away Ford stuff…

Greekbull

Raptor
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor...shopping
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
the winch above the bumper is common on many tried and true bumper designs and if the bumper is designed for it, it will not fail. Aesthetics is an individual thing and sometimes it doesn’t look right.

The Lobo off-road support is a good design, if you want to hack away at some of the factory frame. The tricky-mike brackets were a simple bolt on Without frame mods. I will personally go with the Lobo parts when I decide on a bumper, but a lot f owners may not want to hack away Ford stuff…
Yeah I'm not inclined to cut on the bumper...I would much rather have a bolt on solution. And sure understand on the bumper is a common thing. Just a personal preference to a solution that sits further down. Think it looks much cleaner. Unfortunately, Maxlider(well ADD for them) is the only one that seems to make that option in a streamlined way and they also seem to be the most expensive.

OP
OP
DewarT

DewarT

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
There are others with a winch more integrated into the bumper- and some less costly. I didnt like the ends on the Maxlider where they sit in from of the fender flares. Doesn’t integrate well on the Raptor.

Check out
Lobo off-road
Baja Forged
CBI Offroad
Bay Area Metal Fab (BAMF)
Hefty Fabworks

Greekbull

Raptor
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor...shopping
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
There are others with a winch more integrated into the bumper- and some less costly. I didnt like the ends on the Maxlider where they sit in from of the fender flares. Doesn’t integrate well on the Raptor.

Check out
Lobo off-road
Baja Forged
CBI Offroad
Bay Area Metal Fab (BAMF)
Hefty Fabworks
Yeah thanks was aware of all of those except the BAMF. I just think the Maxlider is a much cleaner better look that has the ADD Baja type of lines. Obviously it's all subjective opinion. The CBI is the best of those in my opinion though...Cleanest lines

OP
OP
DewarT

DewarT

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yeah thanks was aware of all of those except the BAMF. I just think the Maxlider is a much cleaner better look that has the ADD Baja type of lines. Obviously it's all subjective opinion. The CBI is the best of those in my opinion though...Cleanest lines
I'm currently leaning toward the CBI... I keep holding out hope that I will see a new one that just blows me away. Not there yet.

Sponsored

Greekbull

Raptor
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor...shopping
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I agree with you. There is something I don’t like about every design. For me the Maxlider is the best but I don’t like how they tapered the bumper at the fenders. Should’ve ended it where the body ends IMO. Really disappointed in the ADD Rock Fighter. I usually like their Raptor bumpers and wish they would come up with another option that has the Winch recessed but is as sleek as possible. I might slow play it some more and see if someone comes up with a better option as well.

Coldsmoke

Badlands
First Name
Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

While I'm in the market for a '23 Raptor (working on a couple available at the moment), I have been looking at accessories. In particular front and rear bumpers, but I'm concerned on the mounting points- they are mounted in essentially one plane and that would be prone to failure in real world use.

To quantify- I have built numerous vehicles, own two heavily modified Classic Broncos, and I have been rock crawling & off-roading for 25+ years. I can’t leave my vehicles stock. I have a purpose built rock crawler so the Raptor won't see that kind of abuse, but I want the bumpers to be as sleek as possible, protective of sheetmetal, recovery capable and overall- reliable. To that end- I really liked the appearance of the Addictive Desert Design (ADD) Rock-Fighter bumpers.

I have reviewed hundreds of videos and dozens of builds here and on other forums- until I came across @FiveAngelsOutdoor Raptor build. He seems to use his Raptor- nothing crazy, but real world use. Then I see the video that I snapped the below pictures from. Mount fail during a snatch recovery on an ADD front winch bumper. While the bumper seemed to come out OK, clearly it lacked support.

ADD advertises " two reinforced clevis mounts for soft shackles to provide recovery options " and points this out in their videos as well. It was a pretty aggressive snatch, but this is common in many off-road situations- especially on a heavy vehicle.

I have seen other posts about the factory recovery points being tweaked in recoveries, hidden winch mounts damaging the frames and accidents reveal a really weak front structure of the Broncos. So- what are we to do with this information? I have seen some winch bumpers that come with additional brackets to strengthen the bumper mounting point, are they enough? I don't want to weld onto the frame to support loading of this nature. There was additonal damage to his electrical system- a lot could go wrong here.

Any better bumper designs with real world snatch recoveries that would demonstrate the strength- without damage? What about rear bumpers where I’m more likely to use a snatch rope or strap? Similar type mounting points to the front.

I think @FiveAngelsOutdoor is a member here- maybe he can comment with better pics of the failure. Maybe someone from ADD or another bumper company can chime in. Either way- looking for real world input. Dropping $90k on a Raptor and then $6k on winch and bumpers is a significant investment to put at risk in this manner....

1707930938853.png

1707930957595.png

1707930968473.png
And Therein lies the problem with a balls-out kinetic pull.
The video on this “failure” clearly shows it was a crazy kinetic pull and there are plenty of YouTube videos that end with similar results on all kinds of vehicles when brute force and ignorance is used in kinetic pulls.
Everything has a stress limit and the goal is to get the vehicle out without pushing the limits of the recovery equipment or the stuck vehicle.

OP
OP
DewarT

DewarT

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I agree with you. There is something I don’t like about every design. For me the Maxlider is the best but I don’t like how they tapered the bumper at the fenders. Should’ve ended it where the body ends IMO. Really disappointed in the ADD Rock Fighter. I usually like their Raptor bumpers and wish they would come up with another option that has the Winch recessed but is as sleek as possible. I might slow play it some more and see if someone comes up with a better option as well.
I’m right there with you. The Maxlider looks great- except the ends- not a fan of the old school grill guard either, but that’s optional. They just don’t look right even on a standard Bronco where it meets the flares.

OP
OP
DewarT

DewarT

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
And Therein lies the problem with a balls-out kinetic pull.
The video on this “failure” clearly shows it was a crazy kinetic pull and there are plenty of YouTube videos that end with similar results on all kinds of vehicles when brute force and ignorance is used in kinetic pulls.
Everything has a stress limit and the goal is to get the vehicle out without pushing the limits of the recovery equipment or the stuck vehicle.
True- I think it was a Jeep and they were trying to prove something. Need to use caution when pulling out with a kinetic rope or even winching. That said- these mounting points need to be reinforced for the stock pull points- even more so for a winch bumper.

Greekbull

Raptor
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor...shopping
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I got a reply from ADD when I emailed in a question asking if they had any new Winch Bumper designs in the works. They replied that not in the near future but they are toying with the idea of a high mount intercooler kit and a semi-hidden winch bumper....
Sponsored