Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I go by the factory recommendations and run full synthetic in all vehicles. Honestly, oil-related breakdowns are pretty rare for engines with under 150-200k miles, it's usually something else that does them in before that.
This. had a mechanical failure in my VW at 150k miles (timing chain tensioner failure) and for a car that had 150k, and did 15+ track days in its life, with 7500 mile interval oil changes, this is what the top end looked like when I pulled it all apart:

Ford Bronco PSA video for EcoBoost engine owners: Why You Never Run Extended Oil Change Intervals -- Agree or Disagree? 1685557706157

Ford Bronco PSA video for EcoBoost engine owners: Why You Never Run Extended Oil Change Intervals -- Agree or Disagree? 1685557739489

150k. looks brand spanking new. (Motul 8100 5/40 its entire life)

Strizzo

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX460, 1966 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

he's a tech, so he sees the worst of the worst. That being said, I've talked to people that said they change their oil at the recommended intervals that are straight up lying, and they haven't had it changed in 10 or 15k miles.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I change it often because I like clean oil, it stays nice and honey colored for the life of the engine of you change it often. I know a guy with a Toyota with a 22RE with over 600,000 miles on it and he changes the oil every 3,000 miles religiously with synthetic and the only thing he's ever done to it internally was change the timing chain and it's still Burns no oil and when you pull the dipstick it looks like honey

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just skimmed through the video, didn't he say the engine has 240k or 220k miles on it? That's about what I'm looking to get. Plus I also thought he mentioned the owner waited for the intelligent sensor to tell him when to change it. Did he mention what oil was used? Normal or synthetic? There seem to be quite a few variables that aren't being nailed down.

Personally, I'm running full synthetic and changing every 8k miles. As @Imaginary Friend stated, yes oil is relatively cheap.

So why go 8k miles? Being I put on approx. 25k miles per year, I'm opting to change about 3 times/year vs. 5 times. Call me lazy or whatever, I don't care, my truck, my maintenance schedule. All I'm saying is, the video doesn't give enough information to state much more than "Don't wait for the truck to tell you when to change your oil". Which seems rather obvious. 🤷‍♂️
Agreed. There's more in the video that seems to point to a lack of other proper maintenance rather than an "extended" oil change interval. For example, he mentions oil feed filters for the turbos being clogged. I can't imagine that those filters don't have some kind of cleaning/replacement schedule that was surely missed long before 200K+ miles. Heck, he even specifically mentioned that one turbo was replaced without changing the filter and it failed soon after. So it would seem the dirty filter was the problem.

So, yeah, like you said, there are way too many things not mentioned or alluded that are more likely factors. If anything, my conclusion would be that not changing those oil feed filters was the reason.

I would use the oil change reminder as my guide (and I have in the past), but it happens that my dealer runs a loss-leader special of three oil changes in a year for $100 (with tire rotation, multi-point inspection and fluid top-off). I can't begin to make it worth my while DIY at that price. The net result is I happen to be going about 5-6K miles between changes. I've never done any major engine work to any vehicle I've ever owned, let alone had an engine failure, including the 2004 F150 that's still in the family.

Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A couple things to keep in mind:
- Ford's goal is to get your engine through the warranty period. After that they do. not. care.
I'll disagree on this one point. No auto manufacturer can survive today with this business model. If oil changes alone would solve engine problems and reliability issues, wouldn't it make sense for any manufacturer to simply reccommend more frequent oil changes? Of all the costs to maintain a vehicle, the oil change is one of the least consequential, even if necessary every 5,000 instead of 10,000 miles. Ford's goal is most likely to be as competitive with industry average or better in reliability in the least expensive way possible. Oil changes cost Ford nothing.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What about time between oil changes? Frankly my household is not driving all that much the past few years. Is the 6 month change rule of thumb valid, when you are not driving more than a few thousand miles (if that) during that time period?
You're going to get different answers on this, and a lot of older people believe the calendar matters. It doesn't. On a modern engine with modern oil, you don't see issues with oil simply because time has passed. In fact, the calendar part of the oil change recommendation was creating not because oil needed to be changed after a specific time period, but to make it easier for customers to remember when it was time to change. It was thought that it would be easier to remember January, April, July and October rather than 18, 21, 24, 27K miles. (Oil change intervals used to be every 3K miles.)

How many miles a year are your vehicles accumulating?

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I can't imagine mobile 1 or any other quality full synthetic carbonizing like that.
I'll disagree on this one point. No auto manufacturer can survive today with this business model.
For every single component in a vehicle, a design life is chosen - years, miles, rotations, power cycles. The component and manufacturing process are designed so that 99.999% of components make it to that lifespan. This isn't done accidentally, haphazardly, or by any amount of chance. They do not just overbuild it and hope for the best.

What lifespan do you believe Ford selects for its components? Hint - the longest warranty they'll offer is 8 years/150,000 miles. Any component failing sooner than that is a miscalculation and anything lasting longer than that is a pleasant surprise.

If oil changes alone would solve engine problems and reliability issues, wouldn't it make sense for any manufacturer to simply reccommend more frequent oil changes? Of all the costs to maintain a vehicle, the oil change is one of the least consequential, even if necessary every 5,000 instead of 10,000 miles.
In the first 60,000 miles, you're probably more likely to incur damage due to a ham-fisted tech messing up an oil change than you are running the same oil for 10,000 instead of 5,000 miles. I'd say frequent oil changes are a HIGHER risk if you're taking it to a shop.

Ford's goal is most likely to be as competitive with industry average or better in reliability in the least expensive way possible.
What's "reliability?" Most places only track reliability through the first five years. What metrics out there track reliability further than that, and also publish results in a way that affects the public's buying decisions?

Oil changes cost Ford nothing.
Now you're bumping into my second point - lower cost of ownership matters.

Imaginary Friend

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and a Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You're going to get different answers on this, and a lot of older people believe the calendar matters. It doesn't. On a modern engine with modern oil, you don't see issues with oil simply because time has passed. In fact, the calendar part of the oil change recommendation was creating not because oil needed to be changed after a specific time period, but to make it easier for customers to remember when it was time to change. It was thought that it would be easier to remember January, April, July and October rather than 18, 21, 24, 27K miles. (Oil change intervals used to be every 3K miles.)

How many miles a year are your vehicles accumulating?
Truth.

I used to do some engine building on the side, and I have torn down engines that have sat in a garage corner on an old tire or stand literally for decades, some with a full sump (which is fun when you don't check and flip it over once on a stand), and I wouldn't hesitate to use said oil if it wasn't excessively dirty. Even between bearings and journals, it still smells and feels (and probably tastes) like oil.

People overthink oil like no other automotive topic....

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
You're going to get different answers on this, and a lot of older people believe the calendar matters. It doesn't.
On my Wife's F-150, the oil monitor will go off in one year even if she is well under the 8000-12000 usage miles. I think all Fords do that.

Sponsored

rguest3

Raptor
First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350, F-450, 23 Bronco, 24 Raptor, (2) 77 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
First Oil change is at 1000 miles or close there of.

5000 mile intervals from there on with Full Synthetic.

Does Ford have a maintenance schedule for Turbo oil feed filters? (Honestly, I did not know there was such a thing???) V8 guy here, no turbos in the past for gas motors.

Last edited:

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I guess I’m old enough to remember 3K oil changes and full rebuilds at 125K. I’ll now change every 7.5-10K and get 200K easy, so I fail to be too worried about things.

Taco2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did the math on the service plan and it worked out in my favor. However for the 100k worth of service, I get 13 services. That equates to 7500 per. I’d have to assume that is in spec given Ford offered it.

VIRUS

Badlands
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck, car, feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My first car was a sweet little Oldsmobile Firenza 😆
Bought it with 42,000 miles on it.

Sold it for exactly what I paid for it.
85,000 miles on it.

I was young and money was short.
Partying was more important.

Never changed the oil in it 😆
The clutch was a necessity so that got done.

The family that bought it was at my Dad's retirement party.
Said it was the best car they ever purchased.
Never had an issue with it.
They passed it along to a new owner with over 150k on it.

I do change the oil in the Bronco every 5000
Figure I shouldn't push my luck
Sponsored