Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
OBX Sas Bronco, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I am looking to get into the camping aspect of overlanding. I have off-road gear/recovery gear but not a lot of camping gear. Looking to not break the bank but also don't want to buy garbage.

Currently, I have a tent (haven't used it in 10 years so I need to ensure it still has all the parts and no tears) & folding chairs. I'll be going on a 2 night Camping/Off-Roading trip at SMORR in MO at the end of the month with my 6 y/o son. What are the basics you'd recommend having/buying to start my journey into the world of camping?

Examples: Cooler vs. DC Fridge, Stove, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, etc. Also, if I go the DC Fridge cooler route, how do you keep it from eating away at your battery and/or keep it cold when your car isn't running.

Sorry, I am completely new to this world. Went camping about a month ago with only a tent, blanket, and pillow for my son and I ... it wasn't the most pleasant night of sleep.
Sponsored

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For just starting out, I’d keep it simple and cheap. Once you’ve camped a few times, you’ll start to identify in what areas you’re lacking.
  • Cooler with ice is more than fine, especially if it’s just a couple day trip.
  • Find a cheap butane/propane stove, used will suffice. Doesn’t have to be fancy, just needs to get hot.
  • You can use pots/pans, plates, forks, knives, spoons, and cups from your house
  • If you don’t have one already, I’d invest in a decent sleeping bag that can pack down small. That can be used in a variety of situations. Pair that with a hiking sleeping air mattress and you should be plenty comfortable at night.
Again, start slow and build from there. Don’t waste a ton of money up front if you don’t really end up needing a bunch of gear.

Noremac

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hello from down in Arkansas.
I found camping is an experiment with constantly fluctuating results. I now pack differently for every trip. some times i go more primative, sometimes i pack more first world type items.

-you made a night out, sleep wasnt comfortable.
---Upgrade sleeping arangements.
-------I went through a few air up mattresses before figuring out that it sucks to slowly sink through the night.
--I bought a couple fold up cots
----Not super comfortable, so i added a foldable memory foam twin size mattress for the top of them. sleep fixed

-hungry in the mornings/evenings?
--find a camping stove or griddle setup for the campfire.
--I added a 17" blackstone to the packout, but is messy to store..
--going back with a coleman stove and some pots/pans.

-start with a cooler, see if ice is sufficient for your needs. I started there.
--Found a 12v fridge and small pwoer station on sale on amazon and added those. truly a game changer for our setup.

--some places dont have fire pits and/or allow open fires. I added a fold up portable fire pit which is friggin amazing. we use it in the driveway when not camping, so double duty.

I also have two different tents.. a smaller 4 person magellan swiftrise that is super easy and quick to set up but not roomy, and a 14 person coleman that is a bear to set up but is the size of a small house.. Debated on getting an inflatable couch for that one even lol

OP
OP
Dantastic

Dantastic

Outer Banks
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

• Cooler with ice is more than fine, especially if it’s just a couple day trip.
Yeah, I assumed as much but the only cooler I currently have is a 10 year old coleman that doesn't have great insulation and I use it to rest my Briskets/Pork Butts/Ribs in (ain't the cleanest thing). I was debating getting a nice new cooler and was looking at the RTICs and then thought I could get a DC cooler/fridge for just a little more.

Noremac

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, I assumed as much but the only cooler I currently have is a 10 year old coleman that doesn't have great insulation and I use it to rest my Briskets/Pork Butts/Ribs in (ain't the cleanest thing). I was debating getting a nice new cooler and was looking at the RTICs and then thought I could get a DC cooler/fridge for just a little more.
I have a lifetime cooler that is super nice.. think yeti knockoff for half the price. Only complaint about mine is that it doesnt have wheels and probably 40lbs dry.

the key to any cooler is to pre-chill them before putting your contents in. if you have an ice maker at home, empty that and you will be good in 20-30 minutes

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dantastic

Dantastic

Outer Banks
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have a lifetime cooler that is super nice.. think yeti knockoff for half the price. Only complaint about mine is that it doesnt have wheels and probably 40lbs dry.

the key to any cooler is to pre-chill them before putting your contents in. if you have an ice maker at home, empty that and you will be good in 20-30 minutes
I think I'll take the advice and grab a new cooler. What size do you recommend? I am debating having a separate cooler for drinks (maybe use the coleman I have) and keep this new one for food, so I don't have to open it all the time.

Noremac

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We have a family of 5, and the lifetime cooler we have is like 75 or 77qt. it is massive, but does the job for a good 4-5 day camping trip with an extra re-pack of ice at the mid-trip point. drinks and food are all in one, meat separated with double bagged ziplock bags

Poppavein

Black Diamond
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Comfort while sleeping is paramount.
I had a nice Cabelas cot, but it is too large for this rig.
An air mattress is comfortable but make sure it is insulated so the ground doesn’t suck all the heat out of you. The thicker, the better.

raqball

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here is everything I bring on my off-road and camping trips. It all fits into my topless 2dr.
  • 4 Person Kodiak Canvas Tent with poles
  • Tent Footprint
  • Sleeping Cot
  • Sleeping Bag
  • Camp Pillow
  • Camp Chair
  • 2 ea Camp Tables. 1 med size for outside and 1 small for inside tent
  • Jetboil Minimo
  • Jetboil Halfgen
  • Frying pan, plate, bowl, cups, silverware etc.
  • 2 100g propane tanks for the Minimo and one 16oz propane for Halfgen
  • Yeti 18 cooler (being replaced with a car fridge)
  • Champion 285wh Solar Powered Battery 'Generator' for the car fridge
  • Ignik Fire Can
  • 5lb Ignik Growler Propane Tank
  • Rain Gear Trail Cover
  • Lantern, shovel, axe, flashlight, headlamp
  • Toiletries, dish washing soap, other small items
  • Winch recovery gear
  • Hoses etc. for Power Tank
  • Ford 84pc tool kit
  • Change of clothes
  • 2-gallon water jug
  • First aid kit
  • Bear Spray
  • 10lb Power Tank System
  • Fire Extinguisher
  • Garmin inReach Mini 2
  • Rocky Talkie 5W GMRS Radio

WILDcardOD

Wildtrak
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4, Bronco on the way
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Here is everything I bring on my off-road and camping trips. It all fits into my topless 2dr.
  • 4 Person Kodiak Canvas Tent with poles
  • Tent Footprint
  • Sleeping Cot
  • Sleeping Bag
  • Camp Pillow
  • Camp Chair
  • 2 ea Camp Tables. 1 med size for outside and 1 small for inside tent
  • Jetboil Minimo
  • Jetboil Halfgen
  • Frying pan, plate, bowl, cups, silverware etc.
  • 2 100g propane tanks for the Minimo and one 16oz propane for Halfgen
  • Yeti 18 cooler (being replaced with a car fridge)
  • Champion 285wh Solar Powered Battery 'Generator' for the car fridge
  • Ignik Fire Can
  • 5lb Ignik Growler Propane Tank
  • Rain Gear Trail Cover
  • Lantern, shovel, axe, flashlight, headlamp
  • Toiletries, dish washing soap, other small items
  • Winch recovery gear
  • Hoses etc. for Power Tank
  • Ford 84pc tool kit
  • Change of clothes
  • 2-gallon water jug
  • First aid kit
  • Bear Spray
  • 10lb Power Tank System
  • Fire Extinguisher
  • Garmin inReach Mini 2
  • Rocky Talkie 5W GMRS Radio
How rain resistant is the rain gear cover? I park in a garage but if I’m traveling it’d be nice to protect it for a night or two if I’m up at the sand dunes with the top off for a couple days? Don’t want to spend on the broncover for the marine grade material since it feels crazy overpriced.

raqball

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How rain resistant is the rain gear cover? I park in a garage but if I’m traveling it’d be nice to protect it for a night or two if I’m up at the sand dunes with the top off for a couple days? Don’t want to spend on the broncover for the marine grade material since it feels crazy overpriced.
I honestly do not know.. While I have used it overnight on my camping trips, my use is mainly to keep overnight dew and critters out. It's heavy duty and my guess is that it would be fine.

Yeah the Broncover is ridiculously priced IMO.. The Bronco Tax is in full gear there..

The only downside that I can think of with the rain gear trail cover is that it is thick and bulky...

Ford Bronco New Camper Looking for Where to Start 20240508_190818
Sponsored