Sponsored

Hard Top - where do you put / store it when off the car?

Dngvt

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco 4 Door, 2018 Audi Q5 & 1990 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hi, new and clearly unaware new owner. This weekend looks just great here so planning to take the whole roof off my car. Here’s my question - where do I put the top when not using it?

I have a garage but it is in use by other cars, although I can probably make room to put the front and middle sections against a wall.

It is the rear section I don’t have room for. Can I put it on the lawn? What else can I do with it? Something under it? Do I cover it?

thanks for helping a newbie,

David
Sponsored

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

While my options won't work (I park in my 30x26 workshop so I have plenty of room for it), you might look into the Toplift Pro.

Ford Bronco Hard Top - where do you put / store it when off the car? NCO_943c58eb-d456-4f7a-bd2d-dc27224fff83_1800x1800

edit to add: another option is this guy though not sure if you have the room for this one either
Broncofulltopcart-132_1024x1024.jpg

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Some people have built lifts in their garages to hoist and hold the Bronco's hard top when it's not on the Bronco itself. Some have bought carts specifically made for holding hard tops (not just for the Bronco but Jeeps as well). Some have gone the DIY route and made their own carts. Others just put it on their grass or on a table. Varies widely.

Personally I just use a couple of sawhorses.

Bruzer22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine is hung from the ceiling.

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To store it for a little while I would use saw horses, this will allow it to be off the ground so easier to pick up etc. Place them on each side and away you go. As for long term I use a hoist and lift it to the ceiling in the garage and leave it there until I put it on again. As for a cover or anything right now I wouldn't worry about it myself.

Sponsored

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Whatever ya do dont sit it on the alignment pins or youll break something

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150-KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Build and/or buy a hoist for you garage ceiling. That way the other vehicle and still park underneath it. It makes taking the top off 10x easier too.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Right now I put mine on horses, but have a hoist I will eventually rig up. When not at home I put a plastic tarp on the ground and set it there. As mentioned be careful not to scoot it while sitting on the alignment pins as they are not that strong. You can put boards down on the ground and set it on those to keep it off the alignment pins.

raqball

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a small, low celling, one car garage so mine comes off at the start of Spring and goes to an off site storage unit where it stays until the end of Fall when it goes back on.

Sponsored

Anvilair1973

Base
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2 door and 1994 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I used to hang mine from the ceiling with 4 eye hooks and some ratchet straps, but I just bought the TopLift Pro and will be building it and using it this weekend. I will be posting a review and pics soon so keep an eye out.

dadjoke

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Big Bend 4-Door 2.7 MIC Auto Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My Roll'n'Jack is all the way into the garage and I always park with my hood underneath it, whether or not the roof is removed.

WHEN I remove the roof, RnJ keeps the back cap and I have a separate pulley attached to the garage roof that the other panels hang in. I'd originally bought the crane but for whatever reason (almost certainly user error) it didn't work out very well with ALL of the weight.

OP
OP
Dngvt

Dngvt

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco 4 Door, 2018 Audi Q5 & 1990 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Some great ideas, thanks. At some point I'd like to install a garage roof system, but my garage height is pretty low and not sure I can fit it in. I'll have to see.

I really like the sawhorse suggestion, and know exactly where I can put that to keep it out of the way, safe and out of the sun. That's my short term best option.

Also, really appreciate hearing about the alignment bolts watch out. Would have likely learned that the hard way if not told here.

Thanks again to all.

I_Fly

Black Diamond
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Black Diamond (2023) - Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I highly recommend a lift system if you have the room above. I have the one linked below. It takes a bit to install but turns the process of removal and installation into something 1 person can do (although another person makes it easier). There are a few versions available. I'm not sure what the differences are (length of rope to accommodate higher ceilings is one difference). I ordered from Quadratech.

Harken 7803.JEEP Hoister Garage Storage 4-Point Lift System or similar.

From Quadratech (yea there are jeeps in the picture) - QuadraTop 4-Point Hardtop Hoist System | Quadratec

From Amazon - Amazon.com: Hoister Direct 7806 - Overhead Storage Hoist for Jeep Top Removal, Truck Caps, Bikes, SUP, Dinghies, Canoes, Kayaks, Surfboards and More. Mount in Your Garage, Shop, Anywhere with a Ceiling. : Tools & Home Improvement